Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More repair than modification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More repair than modification
    Posted: May/31/17 at 7:57am

I've managed to avoid any sort of body dings and scrapes for almost fifteen years, but apparently someone tried to squeeze past my car in a parking lot and pushed the plastic fender trim inward, leaving an obvious bow in it.

I pulled it back out until it matched the other side, thinking, "Well, the plastic is going to want to go back to its original shape, so if I can just get it close, it should sort of repair itself."

Of course, I've been looking at it every time I pass the car, thinking it doesn't look perfect, etc.

I'm about to stop obsessing about it, but I notice a tiny hairline gap (I did say I was ABOUT to stop obsessing . . . ) between the trim and the sheetmetal in one 6" area, while the trim is absolutely tight to the body everywhere else; are small gaps something that isn't unusual, or is there still some underlying problem that's causing the plastic to not conform perfectly?

'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
 Post Reply Post Reply