FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPSMINI Snow Day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: PSMINI Snow Day
    Posted: December/12/04 at 12:13am

Everyone is no doubt looking forward to the Holidays, but I don't think there are any suggestions for starting the New Year.  Aurora and I thought a MINI Snow Day was a good idea.  I'm thinking Saturday, January 15th.  We could start with lunch at the XXX Root Beer Drive-in ( http://issaquahhistory.org/sites/xxxdrivein.htm ) in Issaquah, then head up Snoqualmie way to play in the snow.  I did some checking last night and the state parks have non-motorized (so you don't get run over by a snowmobile) snow play areas.  Some of them have groomed runs for tubes and sleds.  There is a day fee of about 8 bucks per car.  I know there are places east of the pass but I think there is one on the west side which would make travel that much easier.  Start thinking of building that MINI sculpture out of snow... 

I'll do some more research.  If people like the idea but personally know of a better location I'm open to suggestions.  This is our first winter here.

Scream if you want to go faster!

2004 MCS JCW
miniwayne View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/04 at 11:35am

I would love to go sledding and play in the snow, but my snow tires aren't here. I don't want to ride with anyone, in case I get all dirty and wet. I don't want to feel guilty for messing up someonelses car.

It looking good though, I think we will have everything by February.

Driving in Europe is more fun!
Guests View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/04 at 12:23pm

I can now vouche for the MINIs snow driving ability. I have now driven mine a bunch of times in the snow and she has done great! And I still have the Dunlop run flats that have a "0" rating for snow .

SNARL View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/04 at 2:15pm
I have the all season run flats and that's what I'm going with...

2004 MCS JCW
Guests View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/04 at 2:41pm
I'm game! *smiles* do you think I could loose my white pepper in the snow? ok stupid question but its' been a long day at work.
Guests View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/04 at 11:52am
You know that is the biggest call to roadside assist out here, those darn pepper owner's always loosing their MINIs in a snow storm
SNARL View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/04 at 3:26pm

From the research I’ve done I think the Crystal Springs Snow Park may work best, snow willing.  Crystal Springs is 8 miles east of Snoqualmie pass at Exit 62, so it would still require getting over the mountain. 

Does anyone know of the area I think I saw west of the pass?  I’ll have to motor out there and take a look if I can.

2004 MCS JCW
RevKibosh View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/04 at 4:01pm
The MINI is plenty capable in the snow if you know how to drive in slick conditions... the main thing you have to watch out for is people in SUVs that think 4WD means you can drive like you own the road and don't have to be careful.  I have issues with idiot drivers in the greater Seattle area... whenever it snows it seems like every jackass goes out and rents a car to drive around and crash into people who have actually driven on ice before...

of course, what should I expect... it rains most of the year around here yet people are still too stupid to figure out that rain = longer stopping distance. 
2004 BRG MCS - Gone

--Grant and Kylee
SNARL View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/04 at 12:48pm

What we really need is some darn snow.

“Whether the weather is hot,

or whether the weather is not.

We’ll weather the weather whatever the weather,

Whether we like it or not!”

If Mother Nature cooperates, who (at this point) is interested in the event?

2004 MCS JCW
Guests View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/04 at 7:30am
I will ship you some. We are suppose to get a foot on Thursday.
mikesminirox View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/04 at 10:06am
Originally posted by SNARL SNARL wrote:

What we really need is some darn snow.

“Whether the weather is hot,

or whether the weather is not.

We’ll weather the weather whatever the weather,

Whether we like it or not!”

If Mother Nature cooperates, who (at this point) is interested in the event?

Minirox is up for it. 

When in doubt power out.
15%pully,RMW tune/cam/
450inj,HFheadw/lrg ex valves CAI,HFcat,short shft,LSD,22mm rsway,Painted boot,bon stripes,Tinted,chrome accents 03 MCS CR/W
Guests View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/04 at 6:49pm

We are up for it only if we can go with just the regular tires. I don't have any snow tires or all weather tires for my mini.

Joe & Helen

Guests View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/04 at 1:54pm

MizzP and both Cooper's are in.

We had 3 trips to Whistler last year on the run-flat stock Dunlaps.  No problem.  (then again, I grew up and learned to drive in Wyoming, so I know how to handle the snow!)

Havent been to that place, but for sure, any place with snow and a little hill and we'll be there! 

pst

Kristin View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/04 at 2:29am
This would be our first snow adventure with the Mini, but I guess if I could handle my Mustang GT with big, wide Goodyear Eagles in snow for 10 winters and not wreck anything, the Mini should be a piece of cake.  Unless the date the group picks is a scheduling conflict, count us in. 
miniwayne View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/04 at 4:41am
I know how to drive in the snow, so I can go depending on the date. Not taking the wife and baby though. Next winter the baby can play in the snow.
Guests View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/04 at 1:50pm

So if it doesnt snow? Does anyone have a portable bbq grill? We can have a winter BBQ!

Imagine this if you will...Us, our minis, hot dogs, mittens, hats, scarves and whatever we use to keep us warm..

SNARL View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/04 at 2:48pm

All the wee ones are tucked in their beds exhausted from the Christmas days events, so I thought I'd check the numbers...

It looks like we have up to 8 or 9 MINIs for this event.  That looks pretty good.  We'll let it ride for now and watch the Double Doppler radar and make a determination about a week out.  If there is no snow then we can trump up some other event for that day anyway...I'll start checking on Rainier as well...and that's a beautiful motoring route.

2004 MCS JCW
prs1 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/04 at 1:39am
If I get back in town in time and done with "the list" I will join in.
INAMINI View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert
PSMINI Expert

PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/04 at 5:43am

Hi,

Brett and Ina will be there as long as we don't have to wear skin-tight ski wear.

Firemarshal Bil View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/04 at 1:42am
Has a solid date been set up for this "snow day" cruise?  Last I heard it was scheduled for Saturday, the 15th of January.  I don't know how much it will effect the Puget Sound Mini Motoring Club, but the Seattle Area Mini Owner's Association (SAMOA) is having a cruise up Chuckanut Drive to Bellingham and then down Hwy. 9 back to Seattle that same day.  Given the distance we'd have to drive from Oak Harbor, we'll probably do the Chuckanut Dr. cruise in our Classic Mini vs. a run to Snoqualmie in our new MINI.  I wonder if any PSMMC members would be interested in joining the SAMOA folks for the run to Bellingham?  Just curious.
"Keep the shinny side up"
Firemarshal Bill
miniwayne View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/04 at 1:06pm
I didn't know there was another club in the area. I am glad I found this one, but I think we should do some things together. Besides the 15th is the only weekend I will have free until spring.
SNARL View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/04 at 1:25pm

I called SAMOA when we first moved here looking for a MINI club and they showed me the door.  They are a classic Mini club and welcome anyone with a 1999 Mini or earlier.  I have heard from others from different groups that said SAMOA was a good bunch, but I didn't feel I was welcome there. 

Firemarshal, can you shed a different light?  If you think they would welcome the MINI crowd, then I'll post a poll about changing the date of the snow day.

Edited by SNARL

2004 MCS JCW
Kristin View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/05 at 1:59am
The 15th would work for us for a snow day.  I'm all for doing some joint things with SAMOA (if they'll have us) but Bellingham is too far for us to drive for the day, so that's a trip we'd have to miss.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/05 at 4:28am
Snarl (et all)... I'm still waiting for a call back from the SAMOA fellow who was setting up the Chuckanut Drive cruise on the 15th and will post any final cruise plans here as soon as I get the word.  I also had a long talk with the club President and apparently there are a few (a very few) SAMOA folks who are only into the "Classic" Mini, but the vast majority of the club members encourage interaction with BINI folks, and would welcome more joint club events, be it with BINIs, Corvettes,  Studebakers, or whatever.  Classic Minis tend to run shorter cruises due to the age and condition of the cars, and generally at lower speeds (60-70 mph tops) than the BINIs.  I was also told that this Chuckanut Dr. cruise is more of a "spur of the moment" thing than a club sponsored SAMOA event, but weather permitting, it could be a real hoot!  I'll keep you posted. 
Firemarshal Bill
SNARL View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/05 at 12:15pm
Thanks for the info.  It seems like many of us (up to 12 MINIs) are hoping for snow so I will keep with the plan.  I should have a final location for the PSMINI Snow Day by the weekend, giving us all a weeks notice to finalize.

2004 MCS JCW
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/05 at 12:19am
 Snarl, looks like a Mini/MIMI Chuckanut cruise probably won't happen on the 15th.   It seems as though there just simply isn't a whole lot of SAMOA participation for the event.  Maybe later in the year?
Firemarshal Bill
INAMINI View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert
PSMINI Expert

PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/05 at 3:37am

It's looking GOOOOD for the snow!  Let's go play!

Ina

SNARL View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/05 at 1:26am

I'll be heading up to Snoqualmie Pass today or tomorrow to check the conditions.  You can take a look here:

http://wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/snoqualmie/

I've been watching it all week.  Even though they have been getting some snow, chains have never been required.  The tubing center there is still closed, but I'll be looking for something close to the pass so we can always retreat to the lodge for the warm beverage of your choice.

Think Snow.

http://www.summitatsnoqualmie.com/

2004 MCS JCW
SNARL View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/05 at 2:45pm

Okay, I was up there today.  Absolutely beautiful.  There is plenty of snow up there for what we plan to do.  There are a couple of places to casually sled around at the first of the three exits to the Snoqualmie Summit area.  It is only 30 minutes from Issaquah with clear roads.  Unless it is actively snowing at the time we head up there I'm sure it will be "no restrictions".  My MINI with factory all-season runflats did just fine on the packed snow of the parking areas. 

If I read the thread correctly here’s the list of interested folks:

SNARL

miniwayne

Minirox

Joemini

MizzP

kristin

prs1 (maybe, if he beat’s the honey-do list)

inamini

That leaves Firemarshal Bil and RevKibosh who posted but didn’t say if they were going…Are you guys up for it?   

Here’s the plan (slightly revised from initial post): 

Saturday, January 15th

Meet at the Starbucks near the QFC on Gilman road in Issaquah 9am or so.  My lovely bride (La Fiesta Mini) will be working at that particular location and will graciously donate coffee beverage of choice to the first 10 PSMINI members.  I’ll work on getting some reserved parking for us as well.   

The address is:

1460 NE Gilman Blvd
Issaquah, Washington 98027
425-427-1890

By 9:30 we should be on the road up the hill to play.  We can play until lunch and decide if we want to eat as a group or whatever.  Should be a good time.

Edited by SNARL

2004 MCS JCW
RevKibosh View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/05 at 10:40am
free coffee?!?  unfortunately I can't make it 
2004 BRG MCS - Gone

--Grant and Kylee
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>