Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed15% Pulley and ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15% Pulley and ???
    Posted: April/30/07 at 1:22am

I'm getting my 15% pulley installed tomorrow and plan to put the NGK Iridium plugs in at the same time (heat range is cooler than stock).  Am I OK just doing this or should I also consider swapping the wires to a better wire or can it wait a couple weeks?  Anything else I should do to ensure I'm getting the most from the pulley without putting other engine items at risk?

Todd

(Thanks for moving the post phydeaux)

Edited by Sanderskog - April/30/07 at 4:19am
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/07 at 2:48am
Many people do only that, no change in wires.  Manytimes, too, there is no change to the belt, though that is recommended, especially since you're already taking it off to put the pulley in, anyway.

And I've got your move to Performance Mods taken care of.

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/07 at 11:03am
I would suggest reflashing the ECU if you have the $$$ to do so.
You are about to add another 4.5 lbs of boost and 20hp to your "S". It is very common to leave the mods at that but if you think about it, your engine has no idea why it is reading more boost and then try's to compensate. Just something to consider.....
Good Luck tomorrow & Motor On!
Tristan
MINI-less... If God allows, I will have one again some day. :D
QandElf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/07 at 5:21pm

Uh... My tirades in the other thread...

Go over to 'Engine Damper'...

For once, I'm agreeing with Tristan!

Of course, he didn't turn it into a vendor thread, so...

'04 MCS IB/W: MINIQue, Prem/Sport/Cold, QWERKS & Other Mods
'09 MCCLSa CR/B: TH1NG 5, Prem/Sport/Cold/Conv/All Audio. Mods? Wife says NO Moding her MINI!
Sanderskog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/07 at 11:10am

Pulley is in.  Enough said...

Todd

MINI-Rolls View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/07 at 12:39pm
So that is all we get........
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/07 at 1:09pm

LOL, I've been driving in my spare time .  I'm quite happy with the pulley.  Great bang for the buck and ZahnTech was great to work with.  Although, I think I'm going to start having to refer to you as my crack dealer Dave. 

"Go ahead, try some.  It's not addicting.  Just a little more horsepower will give you that extra bit of something..."

Thank you for the hook up!

I want more!  I'm looking into CAI options now.  How about another group buy!

The order in my mind as it stands today is CAI, Engine Damper, Rear Sway Bar, and the list keeps going...

How was your appointment today?  Did all go well? 

Todd

MINI-Rolls View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/07 at 1:16am

Well, that is more like it.  Glad you like the change, it is a good mod for the money.  I may be able to help with group buy, I would say go with the Dinan or Madness.  

The appointment was good, actually they may have some for me in a different group.

QandElf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/07 at 12:39pm

Dave, a crack dealer?  Nooo!!!

'09 MCCLSa CR/B: TH1NG 5, Prem/Sport/Cold/Conv/All Audio. Mods? Wife says NO Moding her MINI!
ginainbelltown View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/07 at 8:14am

"Crack Dealer" doesn't begin to express the addiictive power of mods.  And Dave is definitely a "pusher" Wink  As soon as he found out I got my S he showed up with a bag of parts to get me going.  Now I'm an addict:  pulley, sway bar, strut bar, performance ignition wires, flashing brake light, etc.  All for someone who doesn't even drive to work!  I don't drive much, but when I do it's fun!  Big smile

Gina

Forget my past; it is my checkered present you need to worry about!

2013 MCS/ Red, White & Checkerboard /CHECKRD
Mini Me View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/07 at 2:26am

Originally posted by YakiMini YakiMini wrote:

You are about to add another 4.5 lbs of boost and 20hp to your "S". It is very common to leave the mods at that but if you think about it, your engine has no idea why it is reading more boost and then try's to compensate. Just something to consider.....
Tristan

So Tristan, where does one get a reflashed ECU?  And what would I expect to pay?

Dwight

Mini Me View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/07 at 2:29am
Originally posted by Sanderskog Sanderskog wrote:

Todd

Todd

Did you end up putting in the plugs and wires too?  At what RPM range do you fine that you have the poer change?  I've read that it is above 4500.  Maybe I don't drive my car properly, but if that is the case, I am not usually above that range.  If so, would I go to a 16% reduction?  One last question, who did you use to do the install?

Dwight

Edited by Mini Me - May/27/07 at 2:30am
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/07 at 5:44am
Originally posted by Mini Me Mini Me wrote:

Todd

Todd

Did you end up putting in the plugs and wires too?  At what RPM range do you fine that you have the poer change?  I've read that it is above 4500.  Maybe I don't drive my car properly, but if that is the case, I am not usually above that range.  If so, would I go to a 16% reduction?  One last question, who did you use to do the install?

Dwight

There is a big difference across the power band, not just about 4500rpm.  Actually, it's most noticable in the low end as the SC pulls harder and sooner.  The reduction is personal preference.  The smaller the pulley the more wear on the SC.  I put on a 15%.  Most opt for 15-17%.  I put a cooler plug in but did not do the wires.  Zahntech did the install.

Todd

2012 VW Golf Pirate Edition... Aarrr! - JACK

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/07 at 5:48am

Tristan

So Tristan, where does one get a reflashed ECU?  And what would I expect to pay?

Dwight

Reflash or new computer will typically run $400-600+ from what I have seen (used on the low end).  I don't know that it is even worth considering unless you have a pulley, intake, and exhaust already on the car.

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/07 at 12:12pm

Here is a link to our ECU Flashing page. I would highly recommend this if you have added the 15% SC Pulley and any other mod.
http://www.mini-madness.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&am p;ProdID=8

Tristan

Dwight

QandElf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/07 at 2:14pm

DINAN Reflash at NW MINI will run you about $350 with Labor and Taxes.  MaxRPM Motorsports in Bremerton can do the GIAC Reflash for about $550, and that includes two dyno pulls.  The 'SHARK' reflash runs around $400, and allows you to return to stock if you want.  MTH also does a 'flash as you mod' scenario.  They have different maps based on your mods.

I'm still trying to save up to do the DINAN reflash at NW MINI before I leave.  Although it doesn't include Dyno runs, it's what I can comfortably afford for now.

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/07 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by QandElf QandElf wrote:

DINAN Reflash at NW MINI will run you about $350 with Labor and Taxes.  MaxRPM Motorsports in Bremerton can do the GIAC Reflash for about $550, and that includes two dyno pulls.  The 'SHARK' reflash runs around $400, and allows you to return to stock if you want.  MTH also does a 'flash as you mod' scenario.  They have different maps based on your mods.

I'm still trying to save up to do the DINAN reflash at NW MINI before I leave.  Although it doesn't include Dyno runs, it's what I can comfortably afford for now.

Wow, that's cheaper than I would have thought.

Todd

LIVESTRONG
QandElf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/07 at 1:22am
if you go to the DINAN website, you can see what reflash works best for you.  The two cheapest run about $249.99, plus $42 labor (with paid PSMINI membership) and 8.8% taxes.  Depending on what you add later, you pay only the difference, not the total of the new reflash.  Which is why several members go with DINAN.  After adding mods, you can do a $399 reflash for only $149, plus labor, which is discounted for paid members.  It can end up being MUCH cheaper if you mod in stages.
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/07 at 1:24am
What is the most effective time to get a reflash?  After pulley, CAI, and exhaust, or before that, even?  Or, like many mods, is it more dicated by personal opinion?

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
Mini Me View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/07 at 12:19am

Todd

Todd

Dwight

There is a big difference across the power band, not just about 4500rpm.  Actually, it's most noticable in the low end as the SC pulls harder and sooner.  The reduction is personal preference.  The smaller the pulley the more wear on the SC.  I put on a 15%.  Most opt for 15-17%.  I put a cooler plug in but did not do the wires.  Zahntech did the install.

Todd

Todd

Not that it matters much, but did you notice any difference in gas mileage?

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/07 at 1:09am

Todd

Not that it matters much, but did you notice any difference in gas mileage?

In my day to day commute, no. 

If you're on the Eastside or feeling like coming out this way you're welcome to come experience the difference.

Todd 

Edited by Sanderskog - May/29/07 at 1:10am

LIVESTRONG
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/07 at 1:16am

Originally posted by phydeaux phydeaux wrote:

What is the most effective time to get a reflash?  After pulley, CAI, and exhaust, or before that, even?  Or, like many mods, is it more dicated by personal opinion?

It WILL BE MOST Effective AFTER!

phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/07 at 1:22am
Well, obviously after.  ;)  But is a reflash something that one should consider after the pulley and CAI, or will more benefit be realized if reflashed after those plus the exhaust?  Are you throwing money away by reflashing after CAI and pulley, with the plans of getting the exhaust done, too?

And the gas mileage is a good thing to know, since I can use that in justification for putting the pulley in.  ;)

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
Mini Hawk View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/07 at 1:13pm

Ok guys and gals, since I'm the new kid on the block,( no pun intended), here is a list of the upgrades that I just recently received, parts that is ,but not yet on the car. NGK Iridium Plugs, Screamin Demon Hi-Po Coil Pak, K&N Cold Air Intake, 3" Sportone Exhaust by Alta, Alta Mini Supercharger pulley 15%, Alta Alternator Underdrive pulley, Alta Lightened Crank pulley 2%, B. Cool Plug Wires by Nology, and finally Alta Mini Rally Style Light Bar. Whew that was a mouthful. We've had the car 2 yrs, and now is the time for goodies. Comments or Suggestions ? My big question is ... I live in Olympia and need a good mechanic close to home. Any and all help is REALLY appreciated.

Thanks all

Kevin
kulmini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/07 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Mini Hawk Mini Hawk wrote:

My big question is ... I live in Olympia and need a good mechanic close to home. Any and all help is REALLY appreciated.

Thanks all

Mini Hawk,

I too live in the Olympia area and I do not know of any good MINI mechanics local.  I used one in Tacoma but would not recommend them.  There might be some PSMini members that could help you with some of the installs if that is an option.  I am nowheres near being a mechanic so other than providing a set of hands and trying not to get in the way, I don't think I would be of much use to you. 

You have quite an interesting list of mods, tell us about your MINI.

Don

EAR2EAR View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/07 at 12:34am

Contact Ed Miller in our club by PM, EBMCS03. We've had club pulley parties at his house and he's helped individual members with various mod installs. He's located in the Bonney Lake area if that works.

Post Reply Post Reply