Forum LockedWinged Victory II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/07 at 6:51am
Oh, and Great Rally!
'04 MCS IB/W: MINIQue, Prem/Sport/Cold, QWERKS & Other Mods
'09 MCCLSa CR/B: TH1NG 5, Prem/Sport/Cold/Conv/All Audio. Mods? Wife says NO Moding her MINI!
LilBleu View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/07 at 6:54am
I talked with Ron when people were starting to leave, and he showed me our answer sheet, and we only got 4 wrong answers, not 15 like it says on the final score sheet. He said it looked like someone entered it wrong on the computer. I just want everyone to know that even though we now have 2 kids, we didn't miss that many!

~ Abbie :)
Matt, Abbie, and Nellie

2005 MCS EB/W - LILBLEU

When a Mini whines, it's a good thing!
Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/07 at 6:55am

Excellent history lesson - Thanks!!!

Definitely part of the Ottoman Empire, not Turkey or Greece although quite definitely historically Greek - good catch. 

Per Wiki (not always a reliable source):

Alexander Arnold Constantine Issigonis was born into the Greek community of Smyrna (now İzmir) in the Ottoman Empire. His grandfather Demosthenis Issigonis migrated to Smyrna from Paros in the 1830s and through the work he did for the British-built Smyrna-Aydın Railway, in the engineering works that he had established, had managed to acquire British nationality. Demosthenis's son (Alec's father) Constantine Issigonis (Κωνσταντίν ; ; ;ος Ισηγόνης), was born, with British nationality, in Smyrna in 1872. Constantine studied in England, and later, passed his love of all things English on to his son. Alec's mother, Hulda Prokopp, could trace her origins back to Württemberg (now part of Germany).

Because Alec and his parents were British subjects, they were evacuated to Malta by British Royal Marines in September 1922, ahead of the Turkish re-possession of Smyrna at the end of the Greco-Turkish War (1919-1922). Following the death of his father in 1922, Alec and his mother moved to the UK in 1923. Alec studied engineering at Battersea Polytechnic in London. He failed his mathematics exams three times and subsequently called pure mathematics 'the enemy of every creative genius'.

Edited by Dave - June/17/07 at 7:00am
QandElf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/07 at 7:06am

Wiki is good, but as has been noted in the past, it's too easy to change and put bad/false info into.  Good for a quick ref, but I'd never feel comfortable quoting.  For that, I have to go for the hardback texts.

The quick (? OK, maybe not quick...) history lesson was the intent.  Like I said, I've visited Greece and Turkey both many times, and even almost a century later, annomosity remains.  If either country hopes to solidify their place in the modern world, they are first going to have to grow up.  Of course, the whole 'Cyprus' issue doesn't help either...

'04 MCS IB/W: MINIQue, Prem/Sport/Cold, QWERKS & Other Mods
'09 MCCLSa CR/B: TH1NG 5, Prem/Sport/Cold/Conv/All Audio. Mods? Wife says NO Moding her MINI!
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/07 at 9:44am

Ron,

Since you asked, here is my feedback on scoring:

Each leg should be scored separately and the total score for time difference and mileage difference should be the sum of the errors for each leg, not the overall difference.  For example, an entrant who was 5 minutes under on the first leg and 10 minutes over on the second leg would have a final score for time of 15 (5 + 10) not 5 ((-5) + (+10)).  There is a very sound reason for this - a driver who feels they may have taken too long on the first leg will not be tempted to try to make up lost time on the second leg.

A missed checkpoint should be heavily penalized - at least the same as one missed question - preferably 2 or 3 missed questions - after all the primary objective of the rally is to follow the course instructions.

Signage used in questions should only be permanently installed fixed message signs.  The "we make dirt.... " sign was permanent but the message could be changed.

If punctuation is going to be used in scoring, the rules should so state. (Maybe they did and we missed it)

I am still not clear on weather we were allowed to turn in adjusted ending mileage numbers or only actual ending mileage numbers - I am assuming we were supposed to use the actual odometer reading with out adjusting for off course excursions...

It was a great drive and a lot of fun - thanks for all the hard work and effort - it was appreciated.

Jack 

Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/07 at 10:06am

There's so many permutations on scoring I think the lost important thing is making sure people know what the rules are in advance.  I have to admit we tried to run a slower rally than last yea rbecause we felt it was run at an almost dangerous pace in WVI.  We still felt we ran fast but in the end it turned out we took too long (big surprise - we'd fully expected to have arrived 10 mins too early) . . . .  My opinion is that there should be some allowable time window (say +/- 15 mins) where the time is applied as a fixed +/- but if someone comes in 20 mins early - for instance, the penalty should be 2x. 

Fundamentally though, the who time thing is tricky and I don't envy Ron having to figure it out.  Once again, congratulations to Ron for putting this all together - it's one heck of a lot of work and he did GREAT.

Edited by Dave - June/17/07 at 10:08am
WOODSTOCK View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past President)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/07 at 2:11am

Thanks for all the hard work, Ron!  It was a blast.

Don't get rid of the Letter challenge at the beginning!  I thought that was a fun part of this - everyone running around the statue prior to the start. 

I would suggest a couple of things:

• Your PDFs with the signs and the answers are fantastic and I don't think it would take very long at all if we ran through them at the end as a slide show.  We would have to have the computer hook up and projection capability, but we must have some in the club that could handle that.  Everyone is always curious about the answers at the end and it makes it kind of fun to go through them as a group.
  • Lots of people like to keep route instructions, so either let them pick up their papers at the end (ala the Tulip Rallye), if they want to dig through them, or do as you did this time and post the pdf (or both).  Whatever's easiest.
  • Conscript some people to help with scoring ahead of time and make sure everyone knows any variations, etc. allowed, as you did with me, so everyone will score the same.  I'm sure you'd have several volunteers to make it go faster and then you could focus on validating the final results and overseeing data entry.
  • Maybe have someone overseeing the 'out' start at the checkpoint.  We couldn't see the cone because it was behind someone's car and drove past and had to come back.

Great rallye!
Linda (AKA CINIMIN)

WOODSTOCK: Linda's 2005 LY MCSC with feel good graphics and go fast mods.
CINIMIN: Jack's 2006 Chili Red/White Coupe
KEMO-SABE: Our 2011 Bright White/Blk All4 Countryman
Chili-S View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/07 at 9:54am

Finally heard back from the Thurston County Food Bank about our donations - it seems that the paper work got lost but the lost is now found.

The food bank is thrilled with our grocery gift valued at $500.25 and the $55.00 cash donation.

Thanks to everyone for their donations, especially to Pete and Serena who drove down from Tacoma with their donation but had to turn around as they both were not feeling well enough to start the rally.

Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/07 at 2:05pm

Thanks for the update Ron!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12