FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas
    Posted: October/18/07 at 1:52am
What type of gas is everybody using in their Mini's? Reg, Premium, Supreme? I heard that with the S/C and turbo engines you need to run a higher octane gas. We are using Supreme because the Mini is new, but does that really make a difference? Thanks all. 
'007 MC PW/B Checker'd mirrors AKA "MINIBUB". Auto with Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold weather pkg, chrome line int. and a couple other little things here & there. More to come? Wife's car, ask her:)
MINI-Rolls View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/07 at 1:54am
You may at times need to run a lower grade to clean things up.  I know sounds wierd, but supreme is the only thing you should run.  The MINI needs 91 octane or better.
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/07 at 2:04am
Go ahead and run the premium gas...it won't necessarily hurt to use the mid-grade, but the savings in the cost of gas will just get eaten up with slightly lower mileage since you engine won't run as efficiently and you'll lose some power.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/07 at 3:45am
Personally, I use Chevron Supreme where possible.  I used Safeway Supreme for a while, and my MCS really does run better with the Chevron gas.

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/07 at 4:28am
I usually use 76, or shell because they are close. I stay away from arco because I consistantly get 3-4 mpg less when I use it. Always premium.
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/07 at 4:31am

Good info on Gas here: http://www.toptiergas.com/

I use premium: Shell, Chevron, Texaco.  Union 76 is also on the list of Top Tier Providers.

Edited by CINIMIN - October/18/07 at 4:32am
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

MINIBUB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/07 at 6:06am
Thanks for all the input! I will continue with supreme...our Mini's deserve the best anyways
'007 MC PW/B Checker'd mirrors AKA "MINIBUB". Auto with Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold weather pkg, chrome line int. and a couple other little things here & there. More to come? Wife's car, ask her:)
Pigwidgin View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/07 at 8:57am

Interesting what was said about Arco gas.  My dad looooooong ago (probably in the 70's) always told me to stay away from Arco.  Guess they haven't improved much. :)
Pigwidgin View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/07 at 9:13am

I just thought of something -- where does Costco get their gas from?  Anyone know?

Kathy
kulmini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/07 at 10:23am

Originally posted by Pigwidgin Pigwidgin wrote:

I just thought of something -- where does Costco get their gas from?  Anyone know?

Kathy

Not sure but it does not burn clean.  If you use it, run your finger inside your tail pipe and see all the crap that blows out.  Run your tank clean and then fill up with Chevron Supreme, clean the inside of your tail pipes and then after a tank or two, check the tail pipe again.  I am sure you will see a notable difference. 

Also you will see your miles per gallon increase with Chevron vs. Costco, I know I ran Costco for a while and then did some checking and moved to Chevron, sure makes a difference.  Engine runs cleaner, better gas milage and smoother acceleration.

My two cents.....

Pigwidgin View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/07 at 10:26am

That's good advice.  Thanks!  I actually rarely fill up there but once in awhile I do.  Always wondered where the gas came from because I usually try to go to Chevron, 76, or Shell these days.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/07 at 10:42am

While watching the speed channel today they review Fitch Fuel Catalysts.  I found it very interesting and am considering add this to my Jeep to check it out.  I have check a few vehicles and find they are all using the same number F3624. A bit pricey at $177.00 but has a 250,000 mile warranty. 

Here is some info from Fitch. 

Q. What are the benefits to be gained from the use of the Catalyst?
Improve fuel economy
Improve horespower and torque
Reduce emissions
Less carbon deposits in engine
Saves money
Permanently stabilizes fuel
Extend engine life
Less engine and fuel system maintenance
Allows the use of a lower octane fuel w/o sacrificing performance

kulmini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/07 at 11:11am
Interesting product, going to look for some independent studies and/or comments on it.
CosmicTraveler View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/07 at 2:05pm

Seems on the up-and-up on first blush, BUT NO MENTION OF MINIs!!!

I responded for assistance with my MINI, but asked that they also investigate offerings for all first and second generation engine offerings.  I'll keep you posted.

Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/07 at 2:24pm

I looked at several sites that a Google search turned up - nothing conclusive for or against the Fitch Fuel Catalyst.  I will continue my search...

My initial reaction to this type of after market "miracle" is "If it is that simple, why don't the manufacturers install them as standard equipment instead of all the other elaborate anti-pollution and mileage enhancements they resort to to meet EPA and corporate fuel economy requirements?"  Still looking for an answer to that one.

Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/07 at 12:29am
There FAQ page has an answer to that.  The boggest thing that I have not been able to find is any negatives to this..  I read the tests on the Fitch site and I am sure that a search off those would have turned something up but again found nothing. 
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/08 at 9:21am
Ordered one today for my '84 F250, and we'll just see how it performs.  No trouble funding a mounting location under that hood.
   Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
PIXEL View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/08 at 1:57pm
I'll ask the gasoline buyers at work where Costco gets its gas. I buy Costco premium as often as I can, because I get 3% back on all gas purchases, and...well, it helps my stock and 401k! I've heard our gas is just as good as Shell, Chevron, etc. but I will find out, as I want to know myself.
2004 MINI Cooper S (R53) Pepper White/Black
Owner's name: Fred G.
joe r View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/08 at 3:13pm
Supreme 76 or chevron for SilverBullet.

joe r
04 R53PureSilver|Aero kit|Dinan Stage5|Dinan Boost upgrade|Dinan intake|Dinan throttle body|Invidia exhaust|Dinan rear sway bar|H&R coilovers|Alta rear control arms|M7 STP & BBS R90 wheels..

PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/08 at 6:44am
Just got off the phone w/ Levine Automotive who called to confirm my order for the Fitch Fuel Catalyst (generic in-line model).  Had a nice chat about them updating the Fitch selection guide to include MINIs, along with hoses, fittings, etc. specific to our application so as not to void our warranty - which would happen if we spliced into the fuel supply hose.  When they confirm that we do have a quick-connect coupling at the fuel rail (which shows in the Bentley manual, but I haven't yet seen personally), we should be good to go shortly.  It was nice of them to call about having to delay my shipment for a week or so.
   Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/08 at 3:25am
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/08 at 6:42am
From the same website the authors comments on ECU upgrades;

So one of these "chips" may give you a slight increase in performance, but may also seriously damage your engine. And on any modern vehicle you are quite likely to trigger the Check Engine Light / Malfunction Indicator Lamp, as the ECU will realise that the air temperature signal is implausible. Avoid!

I believe this person is one that feels leave it alone they made the way it is because they this is what they wanted it to do. I do not buy some of the comments.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/08 at 7:31pm
Dave I don't agree or disagree. I posted for general knowledge for people to to take it for what it is. Since you where looking around the web site I hope you stopped by his BIO page. What I find interesting is how the the rest of the world looks at things.
For those that haven't found the BIO page here.
http://www.fuelsaving.info/biog.htm

John

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/08 at 12:29am
John,

Not questioning if agree or disagree.  I did read the BIO and he has lots of experience on the auto manufacturing side, from a factory stand point.  But as he states everything on his site his opinion and based only on that. 

It was like when I was growing up, my dad was senior factory mechanic for Ford until he opened his own shop. His thought prior to being on his own was leave it stock, they made it that way and it works. After he opened his shop we did lots of changes to my Mach 1, it got better and his thoughts changed.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/08 at 2:26am
Cool, I know what your saying it is very easy have a narrow field of vision until the blinders are removed. You should deal with other countries on boat building talk about views on how something should be done. I do believe though that I think he doesn't has a problem with remapping it is more like the some of the items on e-bay that are not reprogramming just faking out the computer to work. I also think his view my be a little dated, because it is a little more complicated then just making the computer think something to get it to run lean. I believe the Mini is a good example of something that looks very simple but has a lot more under the skin. Either way I think there is some interesting stuff at the site.
John

PIXEL View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/08 at 4:39am
Costco, like all other retail suppliers of gas, all get their gas from the same fill stations/terminals. The only things that make it "Shell" or "Costco" or "Chevron" gas are A) the additive blends and B) the markup.

Costco uses "loss-leaders" as in products that are offered slightly higher, at, or below cost to get you in the door and buy other things in large quantities. Gas is an example - they don't profit *as much* from gas sales like neighboring gas stations do, they profit from you being a member and getting your groceries from them...

I just found out today that Costco gas stations change the filters at the pumps more frequently than the comptetion. Interesting...I may have to get a gas can and sample it, to compare to others.

nicknbecka View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/08 at 5:31am
Originally posted by Earl Grey Earl Grey wrote:

Costco, like all other retail suppliers of gas, all get their gas from the same fill stations/terminals. The only things that make it "Shell" or "Costco" or "Chevron" gas are A) the additive blends and B) the markup.

Costco uses "loss-leaders" as in products that are offered slightly higher, at, or below cost to get you in the door and buy other things in large quantities. Gas is an example - they don't profit *as much* from gas sales like neighboring gas stations do, they profit from you being a member and getting your groceries from them...

I just found out today that Costco gas stations change the filters at the pumps more frequently than the comptetion. Interesting...I may have to get a gas can and sample it, to compare to others.

From the signs they have out, it suggests they change them more often to improve the fuel flow rather than quality. I'd be curious if it did make a quality difference though. I'd always been told to avoid filling up while the delivery truck is there, since it stirs any water or sediment in the storage tanks.

Up near our house, I've only ever seen Reinhard Petroleum trucks, whether it's Amco/BP, Shell, or Safeway- it makes sense to have one distributor delivering multiple specs of fuel around.
2007 AB/AB MCS w/ Chrome Line
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/08 at 6:00am
One word MARKETING.
I think it can be discussed until were blue in the face but in the end I think it comes down to personal choice how every you decide to make that decision.

Let me put it this way we make French Fries where I work. They all come from the same potato(kind of its more complicated then that) but some may like McD's,Burger King or even Red Robin. They are all the same potato but each customer asks for something to be added or taken away from that potato to get what they want. Oil refining is not a whole lot different from what I say when I was in So Cal.

I like Chevron for my Mini, not that it is better or worse that is just what I like for it and the Mini likes Chevron and I am sure Chevron likes me. My other 2 vehicles one is a little picky the other one does not care.

John

PIXEL View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/08 at 6:36am
With my Costco/Amex card, I get 3% back on gas!
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/08 at 12:49pm
'02 MC, 60,000 miles.  I usually use 87 octane and have had no problems with using it.  I only run premium when I have to do a mountain pass or something like that.  I often use the Gasco down the street but occasionally fill up at a Shell.

Val

Post Reply Post Reply