Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKitsap County = No less than 35% Tint.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kitsap County = No less than 35% Tint.
    Posted: March/27/08 at 5:39am

Hey everyone,

Sorry I haven't been out to any functions or even on the boards, business is crazy and I recently moved my shop so no time for fun in the MINI.

Before you read on let me say that yes I was well aware that my tint was too dark, but hey look around there are tons of cars with there tint as darker or darker than mine.

I just wanted to let you all know I have now got my 3rd ticket for my window tint in Silverdale. I had 15% put on my car and after 1 year got my first fix-it ticket for my tint and no front license plate. I called my attorney and he said to throw it away and not worry about it. 9 months later I get pulled over by the same cop and he gives me a $248 ticket for no front license plate and window tint. That was 2 months ago, well over 2 years after getting my windows done.

So I decided I would see if my attorney could get me off since he gets off about 99.9% of speeding tickets for people from county cops. Anyway, my court date hasn't even come up yet and yesterday I get pulled over by you guessed it, the same cop. He then continues to give me another ticket but this time just for the tint since I had the front plate put on thanks to the "No Holes Plate Holder".

I was told by the officer that he will keep pulling me over and ticketing me until i get it through my head that I am driving illegaly and that after 5 times he would impound my vehilce.

So needless to say I went out today and had the windows scraped off and put 35% on.

Another tidbit to know is that the legal limit is actually 24% light transmission. So when you say you are putting on 35% it usually ends up at around 25% +/- 3% of light transmission. My windows which were reading at 15% now actually read at 27% which is 3% more than the legal limit.

Anyway...if you live in Silverdale or Bremerton I would highly recommend that you DO NOT get tint lower than 35% percent. I think I am just being for the most part singled out now, but if he gets you once he'll probably keep coming after you.

P.S. Not once for these tickets was I pulled over for speeding. But if you are caught speeding by a county cop around kitsap county and want to beat it, let me know. I will give you the name of an attorney that WILL get you off of your ticket. Feel free to email or pm me anytime.
Eric
2004 IB MCS-JCW Kit,Sus,Brakes,Strut,C-Fibr Hood Scoop,Tailgate Hndl,Dash,JCM-UK Header. DINAN T-bdy,CAM. JCW Whalen Shifter,25.5mm Sway,Shark Grphic,Aero Kit,Drvng Lmps,Bon/Boot Stripes,& more!
RevKibosh View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/08 at 7:53am
That really sucks.  I am planning to get 20% and just hope for the best. 

15% is darker than I want anyway, but 35% seems a little light to me. 

I think the other option is to just keep the front two windows lighter, but I don't like the way that looks...
2004 BRG MCS - Gone

--Grant and Kylee
QandElf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/08 at 11:03am
Holy Pooh!

I got pulled over once.  The cop had to let me go because:
1) My tint was legal by Florida law
2) At the time (don't know if this has changed) only cops with VLT meters were allowed by law to give tickets for tint

For a while they were setting up outside base and pulling over military en masse, but that got shut down after a few too many tickets were thrown out due to reasons stated above.

Of course, I've never much cared for the Kitsap/Silverdale/Bremerton Forces.  When I worked graveyard shift and if we got off early, the cops would be dragging each other up and down SR 3 to pass the time.  A few times I'd see the cops come up fast from behind, and they'd turn on their lights so people would pull over and they could keep racing each other.

I was told once they must be answering 'silent calls'.  All the way from Poulsbo to Port Orchard?  Did they have to be THAT silent?!?
'04 MCS IB/W: MINIQue, Prem/Sport/Cold, QWERKS & Other Mods
'09 MCCLSa CR/B: TH1NG 5, Prem/Sport/Cold/Conv/All Audio. Mods? Wife says NO Moding her MINI!
Miniack View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/08 at 1:14pm
I grew up in Bremerton, and traveled from P.O. to Silverdale to Belfair.  The cops are trying to shut down the "squids" that feel they need to storm the port.  They've done it so long they harass all but the elderly driving mid 80's station wagons.  Drool
I moved away in 1990 and every fix-it and speeding ticket I've ever had was there.  I've gotten 2 tickets just visiting friends. 
BTW: The speeding tickets were for 5 over the limit.Flaming
Oh... and sorry about the "Squid" thing, I still carry navy town issues.LOL
"MINIACK" It's not my name, it's my attitude. After 6 yrs "Nine Ball" has a name.
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/08 at 4:48pm
Eric where did you come up with the 24-25 +/- 3 all I could find is the 35 in the wac and rcws

John
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

QandElf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/08 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Miniack Miniack wrote:

The cops are trying to shut down the "squids" that feel they need to storm the port...

I think you mistake 'Squids' for 'Leathernecks'.  We don't 'storm' anything... that's why we have Marines! Big%20smile

As a side note, that kind of thing has doomed areas in the past when it comes time for BRAC.  Kitsap wasn't on the chopping block last time around, but what I know of two bases that were, one was saved by the 'Squids' and locals rallying to keep it, but there was at least two others where the Locals cried foul, but when the BRAC commission came in, the Airmen (in one case) or Sailors said, 'oh, hey, you definitely need to shut this place down'.

It works both ways on that.  We can do 1000+ hours a month in COMREL (Community Relations Projects), but if we are thanked by being targets of both criminals and cops, then we just get tired of being kicked in the teeth all the time.
'04 MCS IB/W: MINIQue, Prem/Sport/Cold, QWERKS & Other Mods
'09 MCCLSa CR/B: TH1NG 5, Prem/Sport/Cold/Conv/All Audio. Mods? Wife says NO Moding her MINI!
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/08 at 6:32pm
QandElf as a puddle pirate as you guys like to refer to us as, I have a hard time even seeing a jarhead looking at a Mini .

John

scoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/08 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

QandElf as a puddle pirate as you guys like to refer to us as, I have a hard time even seeing a jarhead looking at a Mini .

John

Don't say that to Kulmini Big%20smile
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/08 at 12:21am
LOLOLO actually Scooop  The Marines take a beating as much as the Coast Guard. I will point out that it was the Coast Guard that operated the the landing craft on D-Day not the Navy. Further more I say what I say because Marines are a tough bunch and at least where I work Mini's are still considered a clown car. All it show is Kulmini have very good taste.

Miniack View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/08 at 2:18am
Sorry to open up this can of worms.  I come from a long line of Navy men.  Growing up with all the Navy brats has tainted my opinions.  I grew up there in the 70s and 80s.  I remember when down town Brem. was the place to "cruse" and hang out.  I did my school shopping there and it there were plenty of businesses.  Service personnel would come down to show off and then jet back to base.  As a young driver, we were hassled all the time just for hanging out. 
I also recall several instances where fights broke out between locals and the branches (most Navy).  Granted we were punks, and had bad attitudes, but it was our town.

BTW:  At that time, the movies, cruising and parks were all there was to do.  No skating, after school programs, or pools.
"MINIACK" It's not my name, it's my attitude. After 6 yrs "Nine Ball" has a name.
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/08 at 9:50am
No problem here. But I would still like to know where Eric found the info on the tint because 35 can be a little light on a dark colored car in my view that is.

John 

SharkReef View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/08 at 10:11am
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

Eric where did you come up with the 24-25 +/- 3 all I could find is the 35 in the wac and rcws

John

Hey John. The 24% came from the officer himslf and it is written on my ticket if you would like to see.

If you ask anyone at a tint shop they should know what I am taling about. From what I was told it has something to do with a law that was passed because all the cops had darker than 35% window tint which came out to a 24% LIGHT TRANSMISSION. This is where the 24% comes into play, because it is the LIGHT TRANSMISSION that is able to go through the window not the tint percentage itslef. When you put 35% tint on the glass from your MINI it will most likely end up being around 27% LIGHT TRANSMISSION. I guess from what the guys at the tint shop said a lot of the cops don't unerstand this law and when they test your windows with there gague and it comes up at 27% they write you up. You on the other hand know that you put on 35% tint and so you go fight it and you will get it dropped.

In my case it was below 24% and I got the ticket.

Hope this helps a little and doesn't confuse you. If you have a question call one of the local tint shops and they should be able to explain it better than I.
Eric
2004 IB MCS-JCW Kit,Sus,Brakes,Strut,C-Fibr Hood Scoop,Tailgate Hndl,Dash,JCM-UK Header. DINAN T-bdy,CAM. JCW Whalen Shifter,25.5mm Sway,Shark Grphic,Aero Kit,Drvng Lmps,Bon/Boot Stripes,& more!
SharkReef View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/08 at 10:17am
Originally posted by RevKibosh RevKibosh wrote:

That really sucks.  I am planning to get 20% and just hope for the best. 

15% is darker than I want anyway, but 35% seems a little light to me. 

I think the other option is to just keep the front two windows lighter, but I don't like the way that looks...

I agree with the 35% looking to light for what I wanted. As far as getting the back darker than the front, remember that this is still illegal if your back windows are darker than 35% tint or 24% LIGHT TRANSMISSION.

MINI's do not come out of the factory as a Special Use Vehicle like a larger car does so since there is not factory tint in the back windows darker than 35% our cars are considered passenger vehicles and can still be ticketed for the darker tint in the back.

I wasn't thrilled about getting the front lighter than the rear but if you did 35% and 20% I think you won't be bothered by it too much. I am still bummed but I think my car still looks pretty good no with only the front done at 35%. I will see if I can get a picture up for you to see. 
Eric
Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/08 at 10:51am
Hi Eric ~

Sorry to hear about all the hassles on the window tint you "had" on your Mini.  Geez....  like you said:  There's lots of vehicles out there with illegal tint.  What a bummer that you got singled out.  I really doesn't seem fair... Angry

My Mini's windows were tinted at the dealership where I ordered/bought it new.  They would not put anything darker than the 35% (even in TX where I purchased my MINI).  I had contemplated to go darker, but now I guess I'm glad I didn't considering your dilema.  On a side note:  I treated my hubby's Silverado truck to a tint 18 months ago.  I had them put 20% on his windows.  I hope it doesn't come back to bite us, but so far no tickets.

As of today, I've gotten away with no front license plate since October 2006 (when I brought my baby home).  I've been meaning to get the No Holes License Plate Bracket (NHLPB), but I've been procrastinating.  I should get one considering your misfortune...

Here's for happier motoring,
Brenda

Edited by hapa67 - March/28/08 at 10:52am
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/08 at 11:18am
Nope thanks follow you just fine ,got it. Hey over in Utah where I picked up mine no tint restrictions at all.
John

bubbabrown200@hotmai View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/08 at 6:04am
I have 10% and everytime i pass a cop rain or shine, I simply roll down my windows before he can see me. Its worked so far. But i swear Gig Harbor cops are the worst. I cant stand them. I've stayed away from them for the most part.

You can always recieve a note from your doctor saying you have very sensitive eyes and that the need for tint is necessary. I have my letter on the way from my doc!
If you ain't first, your last.
 Post Reply Post Reply