Topic ClosedFront Headlight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front Headlight
    Posted: December/19/08 at 10:39am
Hi,

One of the headlights went out. I replaced the bulb, but it still doesn't work.
After the fact, I noticed the same side front turn signal light is also out. Do they both have to be replaced in order for them both to work?

lsmart View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/08 at 10:43am
ok, it isn't the turn signal bulb that is out. Is it the little round light under the headlight that is also out. What is that light called?
lsmart View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/08 at 8:21am
Well, the other headlight went out, but the parking light on that side didn't go out. So, now I know they are not connected in order to work.
Neither replacement headlight bulbs work. (H7)  
I checked the fuse box and did not see any fuses for the headlights.
Any suggestions as what to do next?
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/08 at 8:52am
Does the headlight switch feel "funny" when you operate it?  I'll thumb thru the book and see if I can spot anything that might be the problem.

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
lsmart View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/08 at 8:54am
no, the switch feels like the usual switch.

Liz
CosmicTraveler View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/08 at 3:39pm

Hey Liz,

Just read about your lighting difficulties, so I rustled up the wiring diagrams - here's what they show.

"Sneaky" is an 02 MCS ... right?

There is another fuse box (fuse and relay panel 3 per MINI lit) that you may not have known about.  This one's in the engine compartment in between the left strut tower and the ECU.  Fuses FL8 and FL12 (50-amp each) both feed a "black box" called the General Module Control Unit, from which each parking lamp and each high and low headlamp is individually fed (six hot wires leave this unit to the subject lights).  There is no description or diagram that shows what happens inside the balck box, but the fuses would be a good place to start.

The combination of non-working bulbs you describe is rather curious.  Is your turn signal lever in the center position?  There are no other splices or connectors  or whatever between the black box and any of the lights, so it's tough to find a problem area common to all these lights.  What about your tail lights and rear license plate lamp?  They come from this same black box too?

If you get really curious, the black box is loacted behind the passenger side footwell trim - just about a mirror image location compared to the fuse box on the driver's side, but you have to remove the upholstery to get to it.  Other than checking that all connections are snug, I'm not sure what I'd do with it after I found it.

Let us know what you find?
   Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
lsmart View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/08 at 2:34am
Hi,
Yes, yes Sneaky is an 02 MCS. (I want to preface this by stating this is my first time changing headlights) Wacko
Here is what I fixed (with Pat's online advice) - I went back to the Mini and re-did both headlights and realized I was replacing the high beam bulbs (which also burn't out) and I got those working. I went back to the book and read some more about headlights and realized there are also low beam headlight bulbs - I replaced those and they are working. The only thing left that is not working is one of the parking lights and I can't find in the book how to replace that bulb. I see under the hood where the connector is for the bulb, but the bulb will not come out like the headlight bulb did. I am wondering if I need to take off the front bumber in order to reach the bulb?

Thanks for the help, Liz
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/08 at 5:03am
Good to hear that you're most of the way towards success.

For parking lights, the Bentley book for '02 to '06 shows that the bulb holder is a twist lock assembly that you can reach without removing anything else.  I just looked at mine, and sure enough that is what I have - but your '02 just might be a bit different.  Ermm
   Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
lsmart View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/08 at 10:15am
I had to remove the turn signal assembly in order to get my hand in the hole to grasp the parking light assembly. I turned and turned but it wouldn't budge. I am going to take some pliers to it tomorrow and give it a little gentle turn to see if that will loosen it.

Thanks, Liz
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/08 at 12:44pm
Hey, CT - Where in the Bentley book are you looking?  We both found how to change the turn signal, but not the little parking lamp.  On page 630-11, middle picture, you can see the little parking light next to the bigger turn signal.  You can see the connector, but the rest of the thing looks like it is part of the lens assembly.  On the next picture down, I can't really tell if the socket is out or if the connector is just removed.  Looks like the connector is removed from the turn signal socket. 

I went out and looked at mine, and pulled out the turn signal assembly for room, disconnected the parking light connector, and tried everything short of grabbing it with pliers (afraid to break the thing just for research).  No luck, but after I had cleaned the socket off, I could see that the socket almost looks glued on.  Having lost enough skin to that dinky little access port, I buttoned the thing back up and came in for a glass of wine.

I hope it is just a twist-lock assembly, but if it is, it is REALLY tight. 

BTW - what are the little plastic covers covering?  You can see them in the bottom photo in page 630-11.

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/08 at 1:30pm
Pat ... Roger on that choice of beverage Beer
We're all looking at the same pages, but I found a few new ones on MINI2.com.  Check out these pics from someone who claims that both bulb housings twist out as indicated.  I'd probably try some WD40 overnight.  I took a real good look at both of the smaller housings (while dancing bare foot on the cold garage floor), and neither shows evidence of any kind of glue.  That being said, who is to say that some are and some are not.

So ... Who will be the first to draw blood while removing one of these little guys?

Edited by CosmicTraveler - December/21/08 at 1:33pm
   Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/08 at 1:32pm
OK - I just found this.  Hope the link works.  Hope the pliers work, Liz.

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/145504-replacing-front-parking-light.html

Edited by MINI-Rolls - December/21/08 at 11:53pm
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
lsmart View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/08 at 7:18am
I DID IT - I DID IT - I DID IT! WooHoo
I got that puppy loose and replaced the bulb.
I sprayed some WD40 on the socket, waited about 30 minutes, gently used the pliers to turn it and out it came. It is a beautiful day for the Mini!   I have parking lights again. whooaaa!!
Thanks for helping me figure this out.

Liz
lsmart View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/08 at 7:19am
oh yeah - no blood drawn, it helps to have little hands  Wink

Liz
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/08 at 9:33am
Congratulations, Liz.  When I burn out a bulb, I'm coming over to YOUR garage.  Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/08 at 11:37am
Ditto on Pat's sentiments, but I think I'm coming over to YOUR garage for any work that needs little hands.  Way to go!  Thumbs%20Up
   Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
lsmart View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/08 at 11:43am
Thanks for the encouragement.  Thumbs%20Up

Liz
 Post Reply Post Reply