Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Expansion Tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINI-Rolls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Expansion Tank
    Posted: April/05/09 at 12:04pm
With the problem with the stock expansion tank and being on my second tank, Alan and I decided to see how the Canton Expansion tank would work.  Well after months of issues and Alan dealing with Canton we finally got two tanks that fit.  The install was easy and now having a aluminum tank I no longer have to worry about the tank cracking or having any other issues. 

Here is the final install.

Edited by MINI-Rolls - April/05/09 at 12:04pm
Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/09 at 12:48pm
Looks great!  I've never had a problem with ine - touch wood
MINI-Rolls View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINI-Rolls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/09 at 1:05pm
If it ever does over heat and the fluid needs to go someplace the stock tank allows it blow all over the head, valve cover and coilpack.  This is one of the reasons the coilpack gets corrison in them.  This tanks allows for a hose to be connected and any blow off goes under the car.  A good thing for those on the track..... 

Edited by MINI-Rolls - April/05/09 at 1:10pm
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phydeaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/09 at 1:16pm
What's the retail cost of one of these, and is that the only location it can sit?  My OCC resides there currently.

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINI-Rolls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/09 at 1:23pm
Your OCC is there??? Where is your expansion tank?  Alan had the cost, I really do not know.  GOMINIGO bought them as a test, as we were considering carrying them but that is not going to happen.  (to many problems with the vendor)
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/09 at 1:27pm
Eric...I don't think you OCC is there...it's to the left of there. This one is in place of the factory tank and location I believe by the looks of it.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
scoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/09 at 1:59pm
Canton tank on Livermore Performance site: http://www.livermoreperformance.com/mini_tanks.html
Not sure if this is representative of the cost at other sites. Just a start.

Thanks for posting, Dave. Scoop is in big need of a tank that doesn't spew. How "easy" was the install, given what you know about me? LOL
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/09 at 6:58pm
Dave have you or Alan tried the forge tank?
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINI-Rolls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/09 at 12:49am
We have but the issue with the Forge is no dedicated blow off line, works like the stock and in an overheat condition the coolant blows out over the engine.  Part of the situation and what I wanted is to get the coolant below the car not on the engine.

Also the Forge tank is alot more money.

Edited by MINI-Rolls - April/06/09 at 12:56am
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINI-Rolls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/09 at 12:54am
Originally posted by scoop scoop wrote:

Canton tank on Livermore Performance site: http://www.livermoreperformance.com/mini_tanks.html

Thanks for posting, Dave. Scoop is in big need of a tank that doesn't spew. How "easy" was the install, given what you know about me? LOL

They hardest part of installing this is disconnecting the lower line.  You need to unbolt the coil pack.  The tank is held in one 10mm nut and to locating pin.  The coil pack is mounted with 10mm botls also. Not hard to do and you need a 10mm wrench or socket and a pair of pliers. When it is unbolted the clamp for the lower line is accessable.
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phydeaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/09 at 1:04am
I'll have to look at my OCC, then.  Thought that was where I mounted it, but maybe I'm more to the outboard side of the car.

Could a stock tank be adapted in some way to make a blow-off line routed to the bottom of the car?  Might be a bit of a hack job, of course.

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
GoKart View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoKart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/09 at 1:18am
Originally posted by scoop scoop wrote:

This looks very interesting... maybe we could make it a Mod Party item? 

Edited by GoKart - April/06/09 at 1:34am
GoKart View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoKart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/09 at 1:25am
Just found this page:

http://www.lpiracing.com/pc/showsearchresults.asp?pageStyle=L&resultCnt=10&keyword=80-272&submit=Go+%3E%3E

Already saved $8 Thumbs%20Up

Called LPI and a quantity order would only save us $5 each... oh, well.

Edited by GoKart - April/06/09 at 1:33am
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/09 at 2:39am
Thanks Dave, I guess we can also add almost half the cost.

John

scoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/09 at 5:56am
Looks like a good excuse to install a new coil pack, too. Thanks for the info, Dave!
hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/09 at 9:45am
I have the Forge tank and have been pleased with it.  I also just saw an ad for a new tank from GT tuning.

Mitch & Teri
<font color=BLUE>2006 Cooper Checkmate[/COLOR]
<font color=RED>2013 JCW Countryman[/COLOR]
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINI-Rolls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/09 at 10:03am

The forge tank is not a bad tank, it just does not have the dedicated vent line.  The GT tank uses the same type cap no dedicated vent line.  The vent line was key for me.

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/09 at 12:51pm
If you put together an order, count me in.  I hate that spewing stuff - I get it after a hard run on the track.  Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
GoKart View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoKart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/09 at 12:55pm
I'm in, too, though I also found some "Posh MINI Stuff" on the GTT site...

Since self-employment is currently looking a lot like unemployment, I'm gonna get working on a sign for standing by the expressway off-ramp:  "Will work for MINI Mods..."
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/09 at 1:26pm
Pat don't let your Co Pilots / Students eat or drink before you take them on the track that should reduce most of the spewing.

John

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/09 at 1:35pm
Dude. 

Then there would be TWO of us... 

One of the reasons I recommend an OPEN face helmet, as the other choice is not good...

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/09 at 6:17pm
Pat you need to go with this new evacuation face piece.

Here is the current European instructor version

You will see both these units come with a flushing system along with a mouth rinse system. Note the intercommunication connections that are already have the talk as you go function built in in to the face piece. Plus for that late fall track day the 3rd line plugs into the lighter to provide face warmers and a eye wear defogging system

Sorry Dave 

John

Edited by johnf36 - April/06/09 at 6:30pm

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINI-Rolls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/09 at 11:36pm
No problem, I have the upper helment sitting on a shelf in my office.  I can not wear it on the track as it is not DOT approved.......
GoMiniGo View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoMiniGo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/09 at 2:29am
sorry, just saw this thread.  The livermore price is a good one.  Let's say it is close to wholesale and leave it at that.

So some details about the Canton tank.  It uses a 30 lb standard radiator cap.  Nice but I was surprised at the pressure.  It does have a blow off vent that a standard hose could be used to route the liquid to the bottom of the car very easily.  

Install is a breeze as Dave said.  Unpluging, unscrewing the four bolts and flipping the coil pack forward will make you cuss a lot less.  With coil pack in place, there is a lot of cussing involved.  trust me.   The tubes comes off the existing tank easy enough.  As you raise the tank to get to the lower tube, liquid will come out of the upper little tube and you will be wondering where it came from.  Keep the tank low and this is not an issue.  Get a small container that can hold a cup or so of liquid ready so you can catch the fluid inside the tank when you get the lower tube off.

My radiator shop sold me a bottle of Kool It (first link I found):

http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/radiator_koolit.html

to help prevent the electrolysis that some MINIs have to the radiator.  I actually talked to someone at amviv who had the exact same radiator issue as me.   I would recommend using this to fill your tank after install.  Seems to be just the right amount of liquid to get that three inch air gap in the tank.

Fitment - well - I spent WAY TOO MUCH TIME with canton getting this to fit right.  At first, it simply won't fit.  period.  After sending them back to Canton and discussing the issues with their R&D, they now have a new assembly fixture that corrected their problem.  I know how to mod them to make them fit and probably should have saved myself time and effort by doing that.  Got to be a principle of it near the end and they had my tanks.  Because the vendors do not sell a lot of these, more than likely they will place an order with canton to get your orders fullfilled.  If you want more details, give me a call or pm.   Glad to explain the pain. 

Edited by GoMiniGo - April/07/09 at 12:26pm
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/09 at 5:01am
Thanks it looks like a nice unit at a good price.  I was looking at using Red Lines Water Wetter.
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp

GoMiniGo View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoMiniGo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/09 at 12:25pm
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/09 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by GoMiniGo GoMiniGo wrote:

John,Did you see this?http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/KOOLIT_comparison_poster.pdf

No I missed that , nice break down. Other then your radiator guys or online do you have a source of suppy?

GoMiniGo View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoMiniGo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/09 at 2:30pm
http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/find_supplier_us.html

Looks like your local NAPA or Carquest might.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/09 at 4:10pm
Thanks Thumbs%20Up

GoKart View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoKart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/09 at 1:14am

Just ordered the Canton tank and cap.

Will get some KoolIt next time I'm at AutoZone.

Thanks for all the info Thumbs%20Up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>