Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Transmission at 30K?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chava007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Transmission at 30K?
    Posted: July/20/09 at 9:48am
Hi,

I took my car for a quick checkup because I was hearing a rubbery noise coming from the front left wheel. My car has 30K, so I was not worried about the noise. After an inspection at a local shop I was told that apparently the noise is comming from the transmission and that I need a new one. I was PO'd... I called Mini and as I started to explain the problem she asked...Is it a grinding noise? No....  Does the noise goes away as soon as you start going faster? Yes....  Do you have Goodyear Tires? Yes.... Are they low on thread?  Em... Yes....   And she tells me that most likely its not the transmission but my tires, as they tend to make that noise... What do you guys think about this? Could you recommend me a good place to get a second opinion? I do not want to make my current place sound bad as they have been very good before and I think several ppl on this forum go to them.

Thanks!
Sal.

Edited by chava007 - July/20/09 at 9:57am
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/09 at 11:23am
I thought the CV joints were going bad on Jo's car with about 25K on the goodyears.  New tire fixed the problem.  I think I would find a new local shop.  Go get your tire.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/09 at 11:38am
You say your due for tires, so new tires and see if the sound goes away. As far as a shop Zantech gets a lot of +s normal care and repair. They are just one choice we have a few others if they are not close enough.

John
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

chava007 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chava007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/09 at 12:54pm
Some details I missed. First I have a manual transmission... Also. when they did the tire rotation, the tires that are now on the front have considerably more thread and now the sound is gone.. I cannot hear it anymore at all. Is a faulty transmission always accompanied by symptoms like noise? Because the car itself drives great, no problem shifting, accelerating, nothing at all.

@onramp: Does my problem sound like yours.

1 more thing Big%20smile, can I get recommendation for a good place around Redmond that is not zahntech?

Thanks!!

Edited by chava007 - July/20/09 at 12:56pm
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/09 at 9:59pm
Cantrell Motorsports in Totem Lake, and Speedware Motorsports in Redmond (ask for a tour...).  It does sound like Jo's car.  I've been hanging around cars and car nuts since a baby, and was a mechanic in the Army and Guard for 12 years.  I could have SWORN we were having a bearing problem (so I don't really fault your local shop that much), and I thought the lady at NWM was smoking some wierd stuff.  I was CONVINCED we had a problem.

It was the tire.  Live and learn.  I'm also impressed with the lady service writer at NWM for sticking to her guns.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
chava007 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chava007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/09 at 2:31am
Thanks for the recommendations for places.. If anyone else has a similar story please DO share Smile...   So far I cant hear the noise anymore since they rotated the tires and I am about to get new tires...  maybe some Bridgestone Potenza G 019...  I am just a bit unsure on whether I should just wait until the noise comes back or what to do...  honestly fixing the transmission is not within my budget right nowCry
THanks!
SAl.
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/09 at 4:50am
When we picked up Jessmini's car in California, it had a set of goodyear performance run flats that were worn out.   We had to by a new set of tires before returning and you would not believe the difference in sound with the new Toyo Proxies 4.  It almost sounded like a grinding sound.  Awful noise.  Gone with the new shoes.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
chava007 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chava007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/09 at 4:56am

Seems to be always a Goodyear tire... I wonder if its a security thing to let you know the tire is almost gone or a happy mistake...  Now that I rotated the tires the sound seems to be completeley gone I cannot hear anything else... I wonder... can I have transmission issues without any noises ?

valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/09 at 5:10am
Originally posted by chava007 chava007 wrote:

... I wonder... can I have transmission issues without any noises ?

Oh sure, the 5 speed in the '84 Renault did not make any noises before or after it started popping out of gear- every gear!  They can do a good job of rebuilding though- We got under 50k out of the factory transmission and just about 200K out of the rebuild.

Bruce

chava007 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chava007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/09 at 5:17am
Originally posted by valvashon valvashon wrote:

Originally posted by chava007 chava007 wrote:

... I wonder... can I have transmission issues without any noises ?

Oh sure, the 5 speed in the '84 Renault did not make any noises before or after it started popping out of gear- every gear!  They can do a good job of rebuilding though- We got under 50k out of the factory transmission and just about 200K out of the rebuild.

Bruce

Oh I was getting exited that it could be just the tires afterall.. So I gues that even if the noise goes away with new tires I might still need to have it checked somewhere else... Does anybody know a way I could verify if I am having transmission problems? Somebody told me to move the car a bit very slowly... then put it on neutral and try to shift back to first while the car was still moving, if I could go into 1st without any noises most likely at least the synchronizers were fine....  can anybody confirm/deny  that this is a good test?

Thanks!!

Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/09 at 11:28am
I had some major road noise that I thought for sure was bad wheel bearings.  I took it to NW MINI and one of the service managers went for a ride with me.  He said it was the tires and I kinda doubted it.  Well, I ended up getting rid of my Goodyear Eagles and the noise is gone.  I don't know if this is the problem you have, but it's a possibility.

Here's more info on my post about the tire noise:  http://www.psmini.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5635
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
chava007 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chava007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/09 at 1:37pm
I'm leaning more towards a tire problem at this point... so far Ive been recommended two tests to verify my transmission:

1) Get the car going slowly... move to neutral... move into 1st gear... listen for noises.
2) Start moving the car in 1st gear without accelerating... then push the accelerator briefly a couple of times... listen for noises..

Anybody has comments about the tests?

Thanks!
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/09 at 2:01pm
Listen - my advice is to quit worrying.  Drive the car.  It is what it is.  If your tranny is going, it will go before the warranty is up.  Just drive.  All the tests will do is make you worry that you didn't do them right.  So stop.  Go drive.  It is what it is, and testing won't make it better/worse.  If the tranny is going, you will have to deal with really obvious problems, starting with really hard shifting.  Noises that WON'T go away.  Really, really obvious stuff.  Manual transmissions aren't mysterious.  Big gears.  Sturdy synchros.  A shift fork.  Big bearings.  Close tolerances.  Anything goes bad with any of the above (and it just doesn't happen that often), you get noise that interferes with the stereo.

So.  Your tranny is OK.  You really would know if it wasn't. 

Sleep well tonight.  You are OK.  Really.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/09 at 2:06pm
OK - I'm not done.  Sorry.

Who the heck is this local shop that told you the tranny is going?  OK, OK - maybe you shouldn't answer that question.  However, go to the shop and point them to this thread.  Make them know that their poorly researched comment makes you really wonder about their diagnostic ability.  If they think the transmission is going bad, they should take an oil sample and test it.

Sorry if I seem grumpy - but their comment seems to be at least irresponsible.  What if they replaced your tranny and you still had the same noise?

I should probably not post this but I am.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
chava007 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chava007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/09 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by onramp onramp wrote:

OK - I'm not done.  Sorry.

Who the heck is this local shop that told you the tranny is going?  OK, OK - maybe you shouldn't answer that question.  However, go to the shop and point them to this thread.  Make them know that their poorly researched comment makes you really wonder about their diagnostic ability.  If they think the transmission is going bad, they should take an oil sample and test it.

Sorry if I seem grumpy - but their comment seems to be at least irresponsible.  What if they replaced your tranny and you still had the same noise?

I should probably not post this but I am.

You do make a lot of sense... although my warranty is all ready up, that's why I worry so much Cry.. but yes.... If I start with tests and such I will never enjoy this car again... not with my high levels of OCD (locked.. unlocked... locked..) I also talked to an uncle that knows a bit about mechanics and he was also surprised they did not inspect the oil, he explained to me that there exit cap is magnetic so it traps some of the possible debris
and whatever is not magnetically attracted to it gets inspected under some magnification. 
I also told him that after a tire rotation the noise was 100% gone and that I have no problem shifting... and he said the same thing.. if it works it works.. enjoy it Big%20smile..

Sooo... thanks A LOT for the words of wisdom.. I hope I get over my OCD and start enjoying my mini again (and I really enjoy it WooHoo)... If anybody else has comments/suggestions/experiences/support group ... please share.

THanks!!
chava007 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chava007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/09 at 1:44am
Hi, I got FatCity recommended to take my Mini for a checkup.. is it a good place?

Thanks!
Sal.
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/09 at 2:28am

I had a great experience with Fat City when I needed my first oil change and couldn't get the drain plug loosened myself (I actually broke a socket and kind of f-upped my back).  They got me in the next day (!) and did an inspection and changed the oil all for about $75!

I'll definitely be going back next time there is something that needs doing that I can't do myself.

Bruce

chava007 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chava007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/09 at 3:10am
Wow $75 I think is the cheapest oil change I've seen in the area :-D I like my current shop.. but to give me a diagnosis for a transmission just based on sounds.. I dont think they  checked the oil.... is just a letdown for me... I will give them a try.

Thanks!!!
chava007 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chava007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/09 at 1:56am
I took my car to a closed parking lot with lots of echo so I could hear the car better... Every time I shift I hear a very subtle "click".. it doesnt sound bad.. sounds like when you put the door on a lock.... Is that normal?
Another thing.. For example.. the Steering pump makes this buzzing noise that confuses ppl into thinking that there is a problem with it, but that is just the way it sounds... is there any other sound like that, that the mini does?

Thanks!
Sal.
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/09 at 4:22am
All seems normal to me.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

chava007 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chava007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/09 at 4:24am
Thanks! :-)
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/09 at 5:43am
I hear that click when I shift also.

Val

chava007 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chava007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/09 at 5:47am
Hi Val,

Thanks for taking the time to check this and answer :-)
The click I hear does not come from inside the car on the gearbox, but from outside the car on the front..  does yours do that too?

Thanks!!

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/09 at 5:56am
Yes, it's kind of a snick rather than a click.  Has always been there.  I believe it is from the linkage itself. 

I don't recall every seeing much at all about tranny problems except for the first CVT's and most of that problem was with the main ECU programming rather than the transmission.

The tranny is a Getrag and I believe they have a very good rep.  If you don't quit worrying about this, I'm afraid you will trigger some quantum physics thing that will cause it to fail just because you are worrying about it. 
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

chava007 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chava007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/09 at 6:05am
Originally posted by Rob N Rob N wrote:

Yes, it's kind of a snick rather than a click.  Has always been there.  I believe it is from the linkage itself. 

I don't recall every seeing much at all about tranny problems except for the first CVT's and most of that problem was with the main ECU programming rather than the transmission.

The tranny is a Getrag and I believe they have a very good rep.  If you don't quit worrying about this, I'm afraid you will trigger some quantum physics thing that will cause it to fail just because you are worrying about it. 

Sorry, I truly dont mean to annoy anyone with my OCD, and I KNOW it gets annoying  (Just ask my g/f and friends LOL)  And yes... deep inside I beleive that Schrödinger will laugh at me when my tranny fails because I inspected it Smile

THanks!!!
thejones View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/09 at 5:18am
G'day. Noticing the thread, I was hoping for more discussion about the actual CVT failures at 30K (although I'm glad the original poster resolved their issue affordably!).

I have as 03 MC with just over 33K on the clock. The wife put the car in gear last week and heard a grinding sound. She turned off the engine, fired it up again and the sound had disappeared but there was now an error code of "EP" after the next service indicator display cleared. The SES light remained on but cleared the following day. I do not have an OBD-II scan tool but will probably purchase one simply to pull data from the computer.

Reading horror stories about the 02/03 CVT transmissions going out after only 30K.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2003/09/10/TheCVTRevisited-AFullReview/#comment-63600

I can get the fluid changed but according to Fat City, they cannot do an internal inspection as the unit is sealed. So is my only option to drive the thing until it dies? Any thoughts on it being an electronic rather than mechanical issue?

Thanks!

Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/09 at 5:43am
Hi "The Jones",

I haven't heard anything about the CVT going bad from any of our PS MINI members.  I have an AT but it is not the CVT, so I don't have any feedback for you personally.  Are you in the Puget Sound area?

Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
thejones View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/09 at 6:06am
Yes, in the Seattle area. Speaking to a chap at Fat City, he seen some signs of CVT failure but at much higher mileage (90K and up). Given the amount of talk about this on other forums (fora?) my assumption was that the failure was not that uncommon.

I did not hear the grinding sound myself (wife's car - she was starting it) but she is familiar with the sounds it does make and has a pretty good idea of the sounds is *shouldn't* make. Wink
What irked me is the fact that one can only drive it until it fails. No way to "pop the top" and see if anything is amiss. At the very least I could replace the fluid (for about $350) as a preventative measure but other than that, seeing the EP code on the display was the only other indicator of possible trouble ahead...

Edited by thejones - July/27/09 at 7:30am
Minihaha View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minihaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/09 at 12:41am
You say that your warranty is already up? Your parts warranty should cover your car thru 50,000 miles. The service warranty is 36,000. I totally agree w/Pat, replace your tires and enjoy. If there is a problem w/ your transmission, you have 20,000 miles to sort it out.
Milt
`06 MCS Red/Blk,Mini Madness V2 Exhaust,MM Cold air intake,M-7 Strut brace,Alta 15% Pulley,19mm SB,JH6 17 inch wheels
Minihaha View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minihaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/09 at 12:47am
I just had another thought. Some months ago my MINI made a clicking sound when I shifted, eminating from the rt front. After some false starts, PS MINI replaced the axle, and voila, the noise disappeared.
Milt
`06 MCS Red/Blk,Mini Madness V2 Exhaust,MM Cold air intake,M-7 Strut brace,Alta 15% Pulley,19mm SB,JH6 17 inch wheels
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>