Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Teardrop Trailer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoKart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teardrop Trailer
    Posted: July/28/09 at 10:14pm
After much thought and many, many hours on eBay and other web sites, I've decided to build a teardrop trailer to pull behind my MINI.  I'm still researching and looking for ideas--though I have picked the design:

This is an uncommon design, even for a teardrop, and it will give me maximum space in a minimalist footprint.  Weight will be under 850 lbs, tongue weight around 100 lbs.  The plans should be here in a week or so and I'll probably start construction in late September/early October.

Is anyone else interested in a similar trailer?  If so, I think my garage/pad are big enough to build them together sharing brain power and support.

Does anyone have experience building any type of enclosed trailer?  If so, I'd be very interested in your thoughts/insight/suggestions.

And finally--for now--does anyone have sources of some of the less common materials (translation: not sold at the big box stores) like big sheets of aluminum, retro lights/fixtures, etc.  I've only just started searching the 'net and would appreciate any suggestions. 

Thanks in advance!

Will post progress when there is some Big%20smile

Edited by GoKart - September/01/09 at 7:28pm
Kristin View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/09 at 11:29pm

I am absolutely no help here, unless you need moral support, but I can't wait to see the finished product!

Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/09 at 12:38am
Very cool. Looks like quite an involved project. Can't wait to see the end result.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
kulmini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kulmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/09 at 1:02am
Interesting project.  Please document your progress as you push through the planning and building.  I will be interested in seeing the final product.  Good luck with it for sure and if you think I can be of any help, please let me know.
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phydeaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/09 at 2:50am
Whoa!  That is a cool design.  I would be interested in something like that, but don't have the hitch to tow it with.  I would be interested if you needed an extra set of hands, though, time permitting.

I really like that design.  I'd be interested in seeing more of the plans.

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/09 at 4:18am
Just shout John,

The direct source for your aluminum sheeting  you could try Alaskan Cooper & Brass www.alaskancopper.com/index.php

I have never built on from scratch John but I have reconditioned a couple from the ground up.

There are a couple of places online for like Campers world for scoring lights etc. I beleive they even have a sore over on your side.

I don't know what your plans call for as a rear axle but a rear axle out of a Mini Van works very good for this and can be found for cheap at your auto scrap yard.

A side not here if you have not considered it for a trailer of that size it is very easy to set up a solar panel , inverter and battery system. The other choice is there is a small unit used for sail boats that runs off the wind.

John

Edited by johnf36 - July/29/09 at 4:24am
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phydeaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/09 at 4:52am
I wonder if rear lights and the link can be found in a scrap yard, too.  Interior lights, stove top, etc, maybe out of an RV at the yard.

The solar panel is a good idea, John.  Something that can store in the trailer, then attach to the top when stopped, maybe.

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
nicknbecka View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicknbecka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/09 at 5:10am
John,

Which plans did you order? I'd started gathering info on a custom build teardrop too, although to be honest I'm a year or two a way from starting a build. (I have to finish a basement before I'll be allowed to start a new project :) )

I figured in the meantime I'd buy a welder and get some practice in.

Have you seen the teardrop forums? I haven't dug too deep yet, but there seems to be tons of info there.
2007 AB/AB MCS w/ Chrome Line
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/09 at 5:38am
http://teardropcamper.shutterfly.com/

Camping world now carries them
http://www.campingworld.com/littleguytrailers/

Edited by johnf36 - July/29/09 at 5:48am

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/09 at 5:53am

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/09 at 6:02am
Check out the tongue weight on that one (30 lbs).  I'm thinking 150 lbs is going to be too much....
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
nicknbecka View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicknbecka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/09 at 6:12am
Wow, the pole-mounted solar/wind generator idea is pretty great.

The updated Mini-do-More hitch is supposed to be rated up to 200lbs tongue weight, and I've seen a few comments on NAM where others have had trailers over 100. Thirty pounds seems pretty light to me- I'd be worried about it rattling.
2007 AB/AB MCS w/ Chrome Line
GoKart View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoKart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/09 at 10:13am
WOW!  Thanks for all the great support and suggestions!!!

Re the hitch... MDM allows for maximums of 200lb tongue weight and 1400 lbs towing.  I won't be screaming through the twisties--until after I drop the trailer at the campground Wink

What if I have the wind generator running while I'm driving? 

Thanks for the aluminum and RV graveyard sources, the forum suggestion, photos, and moral support--please keep them coming Thumbs%20Up

Re which plans, they're the Wild Goose plans from http://www.tinytears.cc/patterns.html... near the bottom of the Homebuilders section.

With the moderator's permission, I'll post a thread as soon as I get started and keep it updated.  My goal is to finish before Spring and then take a road trip.

Does anyone have experience getting registration and tags from WA DMV for a home-built vehicle?

Did I say thanks?

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/09 at 10:56am
John nice thought on the use of wind while driving, but I believe a lot of those wind gens don't handle very high wind speeds. But a solar panel would.

John

GoKart View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoKart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/09 at 8:05pm
Yes, John, solar's definitely another option I'm researching--especially if I spend as much time as I hope "in the woods..."

For now all I know about power is that I'll have both 12V DC and 110V AC capability.  Once it's a bit further along I'll make the solar/wind/both decision.

Is anyone familiar with the Festool tools?  I hear they're great and someone just recommended their plunge saw--a bit pricey, though I was told that it's more precise than a table saw. 

REDSHFT View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REDSHFT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/09 at 2:42pm
We have just LOOKED at teardrop plans for YEARS. Have done a lot of looking but jobs keep us very busy. Please keep us posted. We're looking at this plan too (now).

>43K miles
'09 MC (May 2), new plates: REDSHFT
GoKart View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoKart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/09 at 7:27pm
Did anyone else make it to the LeMay museum last weekend?  There were about 15 teardrops camping/on display and plenty of people to talk with...

Picked up a couple new tools on eBay Big%20smile and bought a solar recharge panel at Harbor Freight last weekend--for $20 off...

Still looking for a trailer fabricator, though. 
I'm ready to go and the stock trailers I'm finding are not quite what I want/need... know any welders who're looking for some side work?    

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/09 at 6:04pm
John found this site you might like it?
http://minitears.com/

GoKart View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoKart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/09 at 11:01pm
Thanks, John!  Beautiful teardrops!!!
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phydeaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/09 at 2:45am
That is beautiful.  Would love to know what the ballpark figure for one of those would be.

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/09 at 3:16am
Amazing craftmanship - if you got here without following the link in John's post - do yourself a favor and go back and check it out.
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/09 at 9:55am
How about these? 

http://www.adventureteardrops.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=58&Itemid=115

Edited by Soggy-1 - November/06/09 at 10:46am
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/09 at 9:56am
There are also these.  http://www.teardropreplicas.com/

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/09 at 9:57am
And finally the modern approach.  http://www.microlitetrailer.com/

GoKart View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoKart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/09 at 2:07am
Thanks for those!  Some interesting ideas...
cheleker View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheleker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/09 at 7:07am
The MC2 issue covering the Mini Tears teardrop in John's link is Issue 22, October-November 2009, in case anyone missed it.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/09 at 10:47am
The MiniTears is beautiful but it is heavy!

Stephen

FIZGIG View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FIZGIG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/09 at 1:25am
Here is a link to Seaview Chevy up here in Lynnwood and they sell the teardrop.

http://www.seaviewautos.com/default.aspx?html=lguy.html&s=new

Sometimes I wish I were catholic. I don't know why?
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/09 at 4:28am

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/09 at 5:00am
J:

As a kayak gear hauler it would be wonderful.  All the wet cruddy stuff in it with the kayak on the roof of the Mini.  The weight is good but a bit short to sleep in it; maybe a doghouse?

S.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>