Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cold Weather Cold Start

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cold Weather Cold Start
    Posted: September/09/09 at 12:58am
Now that the weather is colder, the Mini dies if i dont let it warm up for 5 min. It just seems to really bog down and if i press the gas it doesnt respond. it kinda gurgles and then will rev. but its died everyday this week even when i press the gas. Once the car is warm however there is no problem whatsoever.This is a problem that has started to occur after Jan's tune. Wasn't so much of a problem when the weather was warmer. But i drive to class and waking up 5 min earlier to warm up my car is really draining me Sleepy

Has anyone had a problem with this? I talked to Jan about getting the remote tune to try to figure it out, but he has been pretty busy so I figured I would ask before bothering him again.

Dinan Exh,Cai,str, RMW cam,440,Jan tune,frnt+rear camber,1.5" lwr, 22m swy. 207.7WHP

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 2:19am
That sucks. I am fine. When you did everything did you do the plugs?

John
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

kenru View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 2:35am
I haven't had any problems like that.  It's still warm over here however, so we'll see if anything changes when the weather turns colder...
One good turn deserves another...and another...

jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 2:58am
yeah i did the colder plugs. weird. I also have another problem, I bought an M7 OCC of of NAM the guy said it was used but it really good shape. bought it for $45 but there is like rocks and an orange dirt inside of it? and i dont think it would be safe to install it into my car.
Dinan Exh,Cai,str, RMW cam,440,Jan tune,frnt+rear camber,1.5" lwr, 22m swy. 207.7WHP

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 3:03am
those come with nothing inside, have pictures?

jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 3:05am
no pictures. i wonder if i can open it and clean it?

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 3:10am
yes, but you will have to either make a new gasket or get some sealant like Permatex

jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 3:14am
Yeah, I already got all the rocks out and flushed it out with water. Just need to open it and reseal it.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 3:36am
If you can find Hylomar it is better

jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 3:40am

This is what i got.... a piece of crap. The guy told me it was in working condition and wouldnt find any problems with it.

Just called him and demanded a refund. Got a refund and now this is going into the trash.

Edited by jbrown23 - September/09/09 at 3:51am

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 4:09am
hate to see you throw it out , but if you must.

searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 4:26am
I had my car tuned last June and saw no driveability issues over the winter.

Rocks in the OCC? That's a new one. Usually steel wool or chain is used to catch vapors. Glad you got your money back.

I agree with John, once it's cleaned out, it should be usable. Unless there's something else wrong with it.
Larry

2005 JB/W MCS:RMW Tuned 215hp/187tq,cam|TSW x-brace|Cross Coilovers w/Swift Springs|OZ Alleggerita|Direzza|Scorpion Exh|etc.
jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 4:45am
well you can kinda see, but there is rust on the entire inside of this thing. I doubt it can even be cleaned without power tools.

searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 4:49am
Oh, looked like oil from the pic.
Larry

2005 JB/W MCS:RMW Tuned 215hp/187tq,cam|TSW x-brace|Cross Coilovers w/Swift Springs|OZ Alleggerita|Direzza|Scorpion Exh|etc.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 4:55am
I can clean it up for you if you want.

By chance the rocks weren't BB's

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 5:16am
Since you have an OCC, your's must be a S/C model.  There is a long history of starting problems with the older cars as the weather starts changing.  Often it corresponds to the change in gas formula.  Outside waiting it out (it will eventually get better if this is the problem), the recommended fix is to run a tank of regular through it and let it readjust to everything.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 10:17am
Rob, i've heard this but never really understood why it would work.

haha John, I wish you could have seen how much rock came out of the OCC. Its unbelievable. The guy must have filled it with rocks and dirt and the thing might have rusted completely. I wont throw it away, i'll try to take it apart and see if i can sand the rust down.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 10:48am
I am still tring to figure the rock thing out, must be special rock. That canister should be aluminum and should not be rusted just stained real bad. If you need it polished back up just let me know, I would be happy to do it for you.

John

catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 11:56am
I used to have that problem too with my 2005 cooper but have never experienced it now with my 2008.  Of course my 2008 lives in the garage when my 2005 had to live outside!  But at the time, when I complained of it to NW Mini they gave me a spiel about the gas and how it changes.  That's when they told me to use a mid-grade gas.  But I don't recall it made any difference.
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 12:00pm
Hmm interesting. Looks like I will be trying some regular gas out to see if this fixes any of my problems.

John, not special rock. Im talking about rocks you would find in your back yard. There is definitely rust in there.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 12:23pm
Lololololol , I am sure there is rust just should not be any rust on the canister that is mostly just stained . I would say use carb cleaner but it might take the paint off.

John

searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 12:23pm
Be careful with regular gas being that your car doesn't have a stock tune. Maybe a call to Jan is in order to find out what the issue is and what can be done to fix it. A bandaid solution, especially since you're running more timing than stock, might not be the way to go. I don't know if the ECU will be able to pull enough timing to prevent knock. Maybe it might but I'd check first to be sure.
Larry

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 1:32pm
Larry you think he could just rest and have it learn agian.

searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 1:55pm
John, you mean if he takes it easy, the ECU will relearn? Perhaps but I'm not sure. My reasoning is that since the ECU parameters were changed, will it be able to learn enough? I'd hate to have him find out the hard way. Jan would know for sure.
Larry

jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 2:14pm
Yeah I'll have to bother Jan. I was just hoping someone had run into a familiar problem.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 3:54pm
Jacob, what brand of gas are you using?

Here is some fun reading while you wait to here from Jan. http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/44204-is-your-car-stalling-upon-starting.html

Larry did we ever deside when you have to up grade the fuel pump? Is that after 240hp?

BTW around page 10-11 they start getting into changing fuels.

Edited by johnf36 - September/09/09 at 3:57pm

jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 4:00pm
76 station w/ premium gas. Have NEVER used any other type of gas. Im religious about using 76.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 4:26pm
A lot of use only use Chevron

searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

Larry did we ever deside when you have to up grade the fuel pump? Is that after 240hp?

Good question. I have yet to come across anyone that has upgraded the fuel pump. Even the people with stroker motors and heads haven't mentioned it. They run bigger injectors so perhaps the stock pump has yet to be maxxed out. I'll let you know once I pass 240hp. Wink
Larry

kenru View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/09 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by searocko searocko wrote:

Good question. I have yet to come across anyone that has upgraded the fuel pump.

That won't affect starting anyway. 

Running a tank of "regular" through there is not a bad idea (keep a bottle of octane booster handy if you're worried about pinging).  It stopped a sagging issue I had waaay back when my Mini was stock...
One good turn deserves another...and another...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>