Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone interested in a Was. custom RMW tune?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dk.buecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone interested in a Was. custom RMW tune?
    Posted: September/29/09 at 10:41am
Looking for any interest in getting Jan up here from RMW for another custom tune day. His results are amazing and I am planing on doing a Madness JCW Stage two upgrade on my R53. I know that the last ECU tune day was a great success and unfortunately I wasn't able to make it on that date. Any interest would be great.

Thanks

PS. If anyone has some ties with Jan aka. the person that worked on the last tune with Jan in the NW area; I would really apreciate their input on what worked and what didn't.

searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/09 at 11:09am
With a Jan tune, why bother with a Madness kit? Get a pulley, RMW cam, RMW street header, larger injectors and a Jan tune and your results will blow away that kit for less money. You can get an intake and exhaust for the sound but the power gains will be minimal. You're better off spending the money on the header and it will make the OEM exhaust sound deeper. The results in my sig are with the OEM exhaust and modified stock airbox and paper air filter.

Spend your money wisely on things that actually work!
Larry

2005 JB/W MCS:RMW Tuned 215hp/187tq,cam|TSW x-brace|Cross Coilovers w/Swift Springs|OZ Alleggerita|Direzza|Scorpion Exh|etc.
dk.buecker View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dk.buecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/09 at 12:53pm
First of all, I appreciate your input. It does make since to stick with RMW throughout the process and their could be a greater gain in doing it that way over the Madness route. I don't know. I do have a few reasons tho for going the madness way.

My shop that I work at Speedware Motorsports in Redmond is a dealer for Madness, and I have local friends that have used madness in the past and have been pleased with the result.

It would only make sense for me to use a product that we sell.

It is a kit designed for the JCW

The reason for the Jan tune instead of the Madness tune is that I have heard some complaints about the madness ecu upgrade, while I have heard little or no complaints about the Jan tune.

Thanks for looking out for a fellow mini bretherin.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/09 at 7:31pm
I believe a person has a right to do what they want to do. If you want a stage 2 Mini Madness kit then why bother with a Jan tune. Part of the $2000 dollar price of the stage 2 kit is ECU stage 2 software.

If it is a Jan tune that you really want and don't want to go for the max best system out on the market  for the money as Larry points out then my I make a suggestion.

Pick up a pulley on sale for 100 bucks an CAI for about the same injectors for 400 , belt for 24, plugs for 40 and an exhaust like a Miltek or Invidia exhaust for 600 to 800  and with the Jan tune you will come in around 200 hp at the wheel and not 200 at flywheel.

An Evotech tune cost is a 100 more then a Jan tune and to date I have not see a Evotech car come close to pulling the numbers they claim.

Here is my cost.

Custom CAI = 34
Custom OCC =0
One Ball = 60
Pulley = 90
Belt=24
Plugs =50
JCW Injectors=400
Jan Tune = 500

Total = 1158 dollars = 197.9 hp and 176 lbft, 32 MPG HWY 29 MPG City

John

Edited by johnf36 - September/29/09 at 7:31pm
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/09 at 12:23am
dk., you might want to PM Jan on NAM. Think he has a remote tune for the R53. You'd need 8 to 10 people for a tuning party but Jan's schedule is really busy so even if you have the interest you may need to wait until his schedule permits another trip up here.

Hope you did your research on the Madness kit. You might want to look at the Dyno Day results back in May 08 that we did at Carb Connection.

You also may want to look at the RMW tune from this year and last year and pay attention to the mods on some of the cars and the results. I know Larry (searocko) is a happy camper and he proves the effectiveness of the hard parts and tune on the track!

Up to you!!!

Cheers!
07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
craigsmiller View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigsmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/09 at 7:49am
Just my two-cents-worth, but Jan's products and services can't be beat for price and quality.  Jan's tune, in particular, is very car-specific, which brings all of your modifications together for peak performance; a "canned" ECU upgrade cannot do this.  I have Jan's big-valve head, cam, street header and tune, plus the usual bolt-on stuff, and I'm producing 230 WHP and 200 LB-FT ...... I'm very pleased with the performance.  As others have mentioned, Jan is in high demand, and since he was just up here in July, it will probably be a while until he returns (he needs about a dozen cars to make his trip worthwhile).  So spend your money however you choose, but you can't go wrong with RMW.

I have Jan's remote tuning tool, which works pretty well if you can arrange a real-time tuning session on a dyno at The SpeedFactory, or equivalent.  You may want to explore this option with him if you can't wait until he returns to the Pacific Northwest ............ Craig
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dk.buecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/09 at 10:22am
Thanks for the input. I do drive a JCW so I don't know if that would change any of the modifications that you have suggested before. How much would a cam, header, and a custom tune cost me from jan? Ballpark answers are welcome. I already have a 16% pulley from M7 but I cannot remove my JCW pulley because the pulley remover tool that I purchased does not fit. It is designed for the standard cooper s and will not fit the JCW pully. Any suggestions on removal would be helpfull. What do you think my End whp will be with a cam, header, tune, ecu tune, cai, and 16%pulley? Would it maybe be around 220whp? With the increased airflow, is their the need for an upgraded intercooler to prevent detonation? What is the difference performance wise between the custom tune and the remote tune?

Thanks
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/09 at 11:41am
First we have 2 that I can think of real quick that are straight JCWs that just got the tunes, OnRamp and Cosmic Traveler both I believe came in around 195 hp 176 torq at the wheel or some where close.

Jans stuff, ruff numbers
cam- 450
header-850 that I believe is with the cat
head - some where around 1200+

Those are rough numbers and you can always find good deals on NAM.

Now to add to things if you want 220 hp which Larry or Craig and some of the can add here you need bigger injector most are using 440s or 450s from Jan, you can find them else where but I beleive you need adpter plugs.

Zahntech my beable to get that pulley of, I don't know if any one here has one that will fit that smaller pulley.

As far as the intercooler you can but I believe most of the guys are now going to Meth

John   

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dk.buecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/09 at 12:21pm
Thanks john. It sounds like a consensus on going with RMW over Madness and you all put up some very good points. I think I will contact Jan via NAM and talk to him further about the subject. Thanks

To those who have modified their car to a certain extent using RMW's mods (such as cam or head) did you have any problems with the car. Is it still driveable on the street. Runs fine when it is 0 degrees F to 120 F. Starts every time. I am a student that frankly uses his car as a form of transportation/an extention of my personality, so I think it would be unwise of me to modify my car to the point where it runs irregularly. Any problems?
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/09 at 1:55pm
Your welcome, we have only a couple of people here that cold start and cold idle problems, we all have a few different thoughts on that but the issues are being worked on.

Please don' t think we think bad of MM they have very good parts. It is just that the Mini market is moving very fast and with money being alittle tight we all want the best value out of our dollar. There are only 2 brands of headers on the market that are doing good at not throwing codes and Jans is one of them, Jan cam is a Newman cam ground to his specs.

The best thing to do is set a budget, set a goal of how far you want to go with this and then plain for it. You can get away with a pulley, cam, and header change before you need to add injectors and a tune. Which may bring your hp in around 215 to 220 hard to say depending on you build date.

One thing is ask if you have questions most all of us will give you a very fair answer. We know most all the vendors and what they have on sale. Like right now Alta has some real good prices and so does Craven. There are also drop shipping wharehouses that you can get good deals at to, shop and compare the prices and there is always NAM and Motoring Aliance.

searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/09 at 2:48pm
John's pricing is pretty close for the cam and header(with cat). The head will run you around $2K. John and Craig's recommendations are spot on.

Since you have a JCW, I'm guessing you have the JCW intake. You can do the flap-ectomy and have it open all the time and if you want, throw in a reusable filter which is cheaper than a paper replacement. It's better than cold air intakes that suck in hot engine air. Your 380cc JCW injectors are fine. Generally, Jan suggests 440cc for his "Jesus" head. Best to ask him as I believe others without stock heads are using 440s now.

The meth kit has become a popular option to keep intake temps down. They run anywhere from $400+ for a Devil's Own kit up to $1000+ for RMW's Aquamist kit. A route I plan to take is the RMW kit and having two tuning maps. One for meth for use at the track, and another street map. Jan sells a flash tool so you can switch between maps as needed.

My car is a 2005 and it has responded very well to tuning along with the header, cam, pulley, and a modified airbox which pulls air from the cowl. Everything else is stock. I've had zero driveability issues in about a year and a half since I've been tuned.

Also, Jan may be hard to reach since he's busy supporting a race team and doing tuning parties. The best way to contact him is via phone if you can't reach him through PM.

Good luck whichever way you decide!
Larry

2005 JB/W MCS:RMW Tuned 215hp/187tq,cam|TSW x-brace|Cross Coilovers w/Swift Springs|OZ Alleggerita|Direzza|Scorpion Exh|etc.
jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/09 at 1:37am
Im going to agree with RMW. If I only had changed my pulley belt to what i needed I might have got more HP.

P.s. Spokane is getting colllld. Hope it doesn't snow when you guys are over here. I also have that weekend off so it looks like I will be watching you guys at the track.
Dinan Exh,Cai,str, RMW cam,440,Jan tune,frnt+rear camber,1.5" lwr, 22m swy. 207.7WHP

phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phydeaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/09 at 1:41am
One thing to note, too, regarding the top HP you may get is something that was noted in a video I caught a couple weeks back regarding a 400 HP MINI beast.  It's still drivable on the street, because while you do have 400 HP at your disposal, they are not all engaged all the time.  That long skinny pedal on the right is not an on/off switch.  ;)

Also, there has been a very interesting discussion on intercoolers over at Motoring Alliance, specifically this thread.  There is some actual work that's been put into figuring out what may or may not work best.

All this coming from someone that hasn't had the benefit of a tune, RMW or otherwise.

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/09 at 2:49am
Sorry Larry, I must have be thinking of the Cosworth head or something.

craigsmiller View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigsmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/09 at 6:13am
Larry is correct regarding the cost of the RMW "Jesus" head being ~ $2k, and he's also correct that Jan recommends his 440 cc injectors if you go with his head (which I have).  I did most of my "serious" upgrades at the same time, so it's hard to assign HP gains to specific equipment.  With a 15% pulley, DDM CAI, colder plugs, and 380 cc injectors, Jan squeezed about 20 additional HP from my car with his first tune (from 180 to 200).  With the RMW head, cam, street header (with cat), 440 cc injectors and Milltek cat back, Jan's tune in July brought my car up to the current 230 HP.  The car is totally driveable (in fact, it is my commuting car for my trip up and down Chuckanut twice a day), but I have had a bit of a cold weather, cold engine issue; but once the car is warmed up, all is well.  The flash tool that Larry referred to is the same device Jan uses for remote tuning.  If you can arrange dyno time with The Speed Factory (where Jan has perfomed his magic the past two visits to the Pacific Northwest), and coordinate a tuning session with Jan at the same time, he can "see" what your car is doing on the dyno (A/F ratios across the rpm range, exhaust gas composition, HP and torque).  After he has your "original" map (as a file attached to an email), he can tweak the tuning parameters to optimize you specific engine's performance, and he will send a new map (again via email) to upload to your ECU. Since each car runs a little differently, he can really dial in the best map for your engine.  So a remote tune is exactly the same (coordinmated in this fashion with the dyno runs) as having Jan here in person.  He can also achieve marked improvement in your current map without getting on the dyno, but it is not fully optimized.  After you invest in the flash tool for the remote tuning, Jan can also provide a different map for the track, if you wish (for the methanol injection that Larry alluded to).  Follow all the advice provided in this thread and you'll have great fun with your "new" car.  As others have said, though, make sure you understand what you're getting into before you get started, especially if you're not doing your own mechanical work (the budget), or if you are your own mechanic, don't rush (the time commitment).  Good luck ......... Craig   
CosmicTraveler View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/09 at 11:28am
More 2 cent time ...

John's memory was right on  - peak numbers of 172 ft-lb at 4038, and 196 HP at 7300, with my JCW and nothing more than a flappendechtomy, MM JCW filter and new plugs and belt.  More importantly, gains in both respects were achieved across the tach, not to mention a tweak to the DSC as well.

Daily rider here too.  I was mildly concerned about a decrease in MPG, but if anything, it may have increased a touch.  While I keep very detailed mileage records now, before the tune I was not recording my various commuting routes - which can vary mileage up to 5 MPG.

Should you succomb to the RMW package that Larry described above (and you would not be alone in this dream), and you plan for someone other than yourself or your shop to do the work, send a PM to Larry or me before picking the place.  We have a recommendation of where NOT to go.
   Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
LilBro View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/09 at 12:32pm

I appoligize for the novice question here, but what is a flappendechtomy on the JCW and what is the benefits?

Enjoy,
2008 Cooper S JCWorks Supercharger Convertible
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/09 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by LilBro LilBro wrote:

I appoligize for the novice question here, but what is a flappendechtomy on the JCW and what is the benefits?

Boy could I run with this one but I think it is only far for Doctor CT to answer that one.

Hey the only bad question here is the one not asked. I will give CT time to answer.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/09 at 1:04pm
LilBro is your Mini a R52 or a R57?

John

YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakiMini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/09 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by LilBro LilBro wrote:

The R53 JCW CAI has a flap on the backside under the Driver side Cowl that opens and closes via vaccum from the engine... Vendors recommend that you completely remove the flap when installing a Free Flowing Filter in the JCW CAI.. Removing it allows more air to flow into the Filter Chamber rather than waiting for the vaccum to force the flap open around 4000rpm...

Edited by YakiMini - October/06/09 at 2:12pm
MINI-less... If God allows, I will have one again some day. :D
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakiMini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/09 at 2:11pm

The "FLAP" is right there
Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/09 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

LilBro is your Mini a R52 or a R57?

John

John - according to his signature post at the bottom of LilBro's post it looks like it's a R57: 

"Enjoy,
2008 Cooper S JCWorks Supercharger Convertible"

If I may add....  I'm so impressed by the knowledge within the PSMINI club, and I'm equally impressed by how open, willing, and helpful you are all in sharing that knowledge. BowDown  I can't thank each of you enough for your expertise on our beloved MINIs.  Approve Clap

I'll be looking for assistance, guidance and advice when it comes to replacing the brakes on my R53.  I know it's coming due as I've just passed the 50,000 mile mark on the original brakes.  I'd like to upgrade the rotors and pads, but I still want to be able to fit them under my stock 17" rims.  I'll be posting about that elsewhere, but if anyone wants to PM me or send me a message on Facebook on their experience in that matter, I'd be thrilled to hear your thoughts.

Thanks again to you all, Thumbs%20Up
Brenda Big%20smile

Edited by Hapa Haole - October/06/09 at 11:52pm
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakiMini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/09 at 2:19am
+1 Brenda!!!
In some ways I wish we shared MORE Facts on this Site....
In just the last few months of the summer we picked up more NEW Members and they are still learning the site and won't always find things that we've talked about in the past...
1... Checking for Rust/Corrosion on the Coil Pack
2... If your Mini STILL has a OEM Air Box, PLEASE Check the FILTER!!!! PLEASE
3... When was the last time you checked your Oil Catch Can?
4... Have you looked at your In Cabin Filter w/in the last year?
5... For those with Performance Spark Plugs, how many miles have you put on them?
        (I have a feeling that they don't last as long as "regular" spark plugs)

Stuff like that.....
At 50,000 Miles....
1... Replace your OEM Front Control Arm Bushings.... They are shot and you don't know it. If they aren't, they will be soon. Plus its an excuse to put Poly Bushings Wink TRUST ME ON THIS ONE!!!!
2... Front Brakes and Rotors more than likely need to be replaced.....

What else?

Edited by YakiMini - October/07/09 at 2:20am
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/09 at 3:00am
Yes, Brenda I saw that. Thumbs%20Up
I ask because the word Supercharged takes on different meanings today then it use to have. Plus the last production # I have for R52 is 07-2008 and the first production number for a R57 is 08-2008. That and LilBro list the car as a CooperS JCWorks, 08-2008 was the first year the a JCW car was offered and it was on the R-57. The R52's where Cooper S's with a JCW package, they were never lasted as their own model.

Hence why I asked because the 2 as you know have different intake mufflers.Big%20smile

John

Edited by johnf36 - October/07/09 at 3:02am

BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/09 at 4:08am
Originally posted by jbrown23 jbrown23 wrote:

Im going to agree with RMW. If I only had changed my pulley belt to what i needed I might have got more HP.

P.s. Spokane is getting colllld. Hope it doesn't snow when you guys are over here. I also have that weekend off so it looks like I will be watching you guys at the track.

Larry
Would you be interested in helping install a RMW cam in the near future?
New 2013 Clubby S - JCW Engine tune - JCW Brake Kit - JCW Exhaust - JCW Cold Air Intake - Lowered - Racing Wheels
searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/09 at 7:04am
Sure I can help. When and where is this happening?

No special tools needed to lock the cam. Just someone to throw it into 6th gear and apply the brakes. A long screwdriver or pry bar to reset the tensioner plunger. Although it seems I wasn't able to reset it but it appeared to be fine when I rotated the crank a few turns. Now would be the time to change spark plugs if needed. I ordered a new valve cover gasket but I could have reused my old one. It's rubber but I figured I'd change it anyway.
Larry

BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/09 at 7:17am
Larry, see this Post.. I will let you know the dates available.. Cam should be shipped today from Jan B.

New 2013 Clubby S - JCW Engine tune - JCW Brake Kit - JCW Exhaust - JCW Cold Air Intake - Lowered - Racing Wheels
LilBro View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/09 at 12:41pm
Hi all,   I only check internet every so often and this thread seems to have grown.  I agree with others, I like the info and willing to share here.  As for John's question,  R53, R57, UH?
I hear everyone talk about that and I have never seen it on my anything I have.  Must be a code name.   It took me 9 months of being an owner to read the manual.  That was fun.  I learned I could open the convertible top while walking up to mini with key fob(whatever ya wanna call it).  I do think that is something the salesman should have told me about.   Ordered in April, picked up in July, and had to get in each hot day with the top up.  Cry

Oh, back to code name.  If I understand this properly, Superchargers are Superchargers and Turbo's are what is in the mini today.  I was told by sales that the mini factory hard top line is 2 years behind the convertible line.  So what I have is 2008 Supercharger with ABS breaks of 2008. (that is, if I am correct in being told ABS brakes came out in 2008).   If I am hearing this correctly me LilBro (mini) is kind of a morphidite Thumbs%20Up

If anyone remembers in Aug last year at Lemay LilBro was in the show right in front of the registration booth.  This year I showed up but only stayed less then an  hour without entering the show due to time constraints.   Also disappointed that no vendors showed this year.    In 2008 at Lemay I think it was minimadness installed me on of their free flowing filters and did not mention the flap at all.  I will take a look tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks all for the excellent info.

Enjoy,
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakiMini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/09 at 12:47pm
R50='s 2002-2006 Mini Coopers
R53='s 2002-2006 Mini Cooper S (SuperCharged)
R56='s 2007-Current Mini Cooper S (Turbo)

I could use help with the Clubman and the rest... Sadly I don't know the numbers for them....
Talking about Madness Installing the Free Flowing Filter... I may have installed it for you? And more than likely I removed the flap... We'd have to check just to be certain... Thinking about it, I don't know why I would have left it in place.... (random thoughts)
You could check it if you have "Torx Bit" Screw Drivers....
LilBro View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/09 at 12:59pm
If that is you in the pic above, then ya you were involved and just may have done the work.  It is not the Lighting Blue in your pic for I was the convertible with all rough black plastic trim painted to match with factory areo kit if that brings back any memories for ya. 
Also it was a deal where you installe it where it was parked in front of registration.   Hehe, so I did not have to drive it to the back of the booth/trailer area. 

It has been just over a year now with 9,772 miles so I guess when I check it tomorrow I will see if it needs to be cleaned and take care of that if needed.   Do you think it would matter if I run it with stock paper filter for a few days while cleaning and drying the free flow filter without a flap on box?

Enjoy,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>