Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Membership - New Member Introductions > Let Me Introduce Myself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Mini Owner bought from Seattle Mini

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MiniHawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Mini Owner bought from Seattle Mini
    Posted: October/23/09 at 2:23pm
Fellow Members,
I have put a deposit for a new 2010 Mini Cooper S/Pepper White from Seattle Mini as I have been looking for several months to purchase my first Mini.  I was told a donation would be made to our club if I purchased from them.  How can I resist not too so I should pick up my car next week sometime. 

Question:  They are selling after market items on the car.  Can anyone tell me what items to purchase and not to purchase? 

Thanks!
Bill
lsmart View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lsmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/09 at 11:36pm
Hi Bill,

Welcome to the club. Do you a list of the after market items they are offering?

Liz
MiniHawg View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MiniHawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/09 at 11:55pm

Hello Liz,

The lists are:
1.  The coating on the front and bumper to protect from rocks. 
2.  A protective coating inside the car on the seats, etc.
3.  A protective coating outside the car including the windshield like Rain X with a replacement windshield if damage.
4.  Warranty to 6 yrs/100,000 on maintenance.
5.  Lo jack

Thanks,
Bill

lsmart View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lsmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/09 at 12:00am
1.  The coating on the front and bumper to protect from rocks.  YES 

2.  A protective coating inside the car on the seats, etc. NO

3.  A protective coating outside the car including the windshield like Rain X with a replacement windshield if damage. I vote no - because your insurance (minus the deductible- usually $100) will cover a new windshield. And you get a few new windshields living up here. Rain-X quickly wears off.

4.  Warranty to 6 yrs/100,000 on maintenance. YES YES YES - I can't emphasize this enough.

5.  Lo jack - I vote no.

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/09 at 12:02am
Boy, Bill - it kind of depends on what you are looking for - a change in performance?  A change in appearance?  Your car is really pretty complete as it is, but one thing you will probably want is a No Holes License Plate Mount so you won't get mounting holes drilled in your car's front bumper.  You might also want a grill badge mounting plate for the club grill badge, but there are also options for that out there as well. 

I'm thinking make sure your order is REALLY the way you want it from the factory (color, interior, wheels, stereo system, any body kits, driving lights, etc, and then go drive your car for a bit when it comes in.  Some folk never add anything to their cars, other than the NHLPM and Grill Badge holder - my wife for one.  Others tear out the rear seats, put bigger bars everywhere, change all kinds of stuff - like me.  Get the order right, then do some research and some driving.  You'll have a lot of time to make the car really yours.

This club is a good one to see all the stuff you might want to do, so welcome to the club and come hang out.  It's part of the research...

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
MiniHawg View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MiniHawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/09 at 12:06am
Pat,
The 2010's have pre-existing holes for the front license plate.  The car is here and will pick up next week. 

Bill
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/09 at 12:23am
I agree with Liz on everything except maybe the Lo Jack.  Maybe find out about whether or not you get an insurance discount.  Deduct the savings from the cost of the Lo jack and then decide if you think it is worth it.  I don't think Mini's get stolen very often, but how's the neighborhood where you park your car at various times of day?  Wheels used to get stolen occasionally, but don't hear too much about that anymore.

Bummer about the bumper holes.  Progress, I guess...

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
WOODSTOCK View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past President)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOODSTOCK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/09 at 12:27am
Hi, Bill!
Congrats on your new MINI and I hope to meet you soon!

I would agree with what Liz said - I would definitely get the exterior protection if I had it to do over again.  Seems like a big bite up front but it will save you the frustration of many of the paint chips from our construction and truck filled streets, although they might not show up as much on a PW - but you'll see them.  We got our first paint chip coming home from the dealer after picking up the car!

Many of us waited close to a year between deposit and picking up the car so I'm glad you'll be able to get yours so soon and get on the road!  Watch out for the 'Perm-a-grin' you'll have while driving the car!  Exercises lots of facial muscles....
Linda
WOODSTOCK: Linda's 2005 LY MCSC with feel good graphics and go fast mods.
CINIMIN: Jack's 2006 Chili Red/White Coupe
KEMO-SABE: Our 2011 Bright White/Blk All4 Countryman
REDSHFT View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REDSHFT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/09 at 12:46am
YES on the bumper rock guard
NO on the seat protector
NO on the RainEx....you can do that yourself if you want
YES on the extra maintenance....I only got 2 extra years to 60K miles. My car is only 6 months old and I already have >13K miles...Wish I went for more maintenance deal.
MAYBE on the low jack. You DO get a lower deal on your insurance. I work near hilltop Tacoma. I got the low jack. I don't think Minis are high on the stolen car list since those who do steal cars probably think they're clown cars. Clown

>43K miles
'09 MC (May 2), new plates: REDSHFT
REDSHFT View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REDSHFT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/09 at 12:50am
Congrats on the new PW!!!! We'll be looking forward to seeing you at events!
Agree on the stupid grin thing-y! You will definitely be using the grin muscles.

>43K miles
'09 MC (May 2), new plates: REDSHFT
catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/09 at 2:48am

Welcome and how exciting.  I bet you are counting the minutes!  I definitely agree about the rock guard.  It has definitely saved my MINI from a lot of rock chips.  But there will always be the inevitable rock chip that you get just above the rock guard!  Angry  Look forward to meeting you at a club event soon!

Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
KOOLBLU View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KOOLBLU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/09 at 12:05am
Bill,
It was nice meeting you yesterday at Seattle Mini.  Thumbs%20Up

I hope you can make the NW Toy Run and show off that new ride!  Drive
Mark & Judy-Jo
'07 R52 Cool Blue Cabrio
'80/'95 Green/White Tartan LE

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/09 at 2:23am
Congrats on your New ride.

Only thing I can add is find out just what will be covered in the 6 yrs/100,000 on maintenance warranty. If it is more then just oil changes say brake pads and clutch yes, if the latter that is your call.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/09 at 6:58am
CONGRATULATIONS on your MINI purchase!  How EXCITING! Thumbs%20Up

I vote for getting the rock protection on your MINI - I wished I would have gotten mine sooner.

Hope to see you and your new MINI soon!

Happy Motoring!
Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/09 at 6:11am
Welcome Bill!

I'm jealous of you getting a brand new MINI, but I still love mine dearly.  I wonder if I could get my hubby to buy one so we can have two MINIs in the family.  LOL

If there's one thing that I wish I would've got with my MINI, it would be the clear bra/guard on the bonnet.  My MINI's bonnet has taken a toll and is beyond having the clear guard protection installed now.  I'd have to get the front repainted first.  Oh well, at least you can learn from our mistakes (or in this case for omitting that option).

Please keep us informed of when your new baby arrives.  We'll be anxiously awaiting to see pics and the stats.

Cheers,
Brenda

P.S.  Welcome to the club!  Big%20smile
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/09 at 6:31am
Brenda you would talk Steve into a clasic Mini Pickup

MiniHawg View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MiniHawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/09 at 7:02am
Hello Fellow Members:

I have taken delivery of my 2010 Mini Cooper S Pepper White with Black Bonnet Strips. 

Lets Drive and Ride!
Chili-S View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chili-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/09 at 7:12am
Congratulations!!!  So how come you're posting and not driving?
KOOLBLU View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KOOLBLU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/09 at 7:30am
Congrats!
Mark & Judy-Jo
'07 R52 Cool Blue Cabrio
'80/'95 Green/White Tartan LE

lwendeltarabochia View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lwendeltarabochia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/09 at 8:10am

CONGRATS!!

Keep Motoring - Drive Fast - Don't Get Caught!
'10 Chili Red Coupe S, sports suspension, white roof, sunroof, white stripes, chrome scoop, 17" web spoke wheels, chrome bumper, and all packages avail.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/09 at 3:01pm
Hey where you there Thursday the 22 nd

MiniHawg View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MiniHawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/09 at 3:19pm
Yes I was there on Oct 22.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/09 at 4:10pm
Okay I was there from 1:30 to 4:30, then that was you checking out the Mini's, Mine was the Royal Gary with all the lights and Greg showed up in his Porsche and we were out front for a while.

Preston View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/09 at 7:11am
There is a new windshield coating product out there that MINI is also offering that protects your windshield from chips and cracks - yes, that's right - no more chips, dings, sparkles on the windshield. Crystal clear and guaranteed for 7 years? I think for somewhere in the $500 range. If you have the rain sensors on your MINI, a replacement windshield through MINI is over $700 and down to $500 aftermarket. Could be worth it?

Preston
Preston
2014 Clubman S
SOLD 2010 Clubman S - "OTTO"
SOLD 2007 Cooper
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/09 at 7:15am
The windshield protection sounds like something you'd be glad you had down the road.
 Post Reply Post Reply