Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > How To Do It
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Water Temp Sensor Installation?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Temp Sensor Installation?
    Posted: October/30/09 at 10:44am
I guess just about everyone knows that you mount the water temp gauges, boost gauges and oil temp or pressure gauges in the cockpit somewhere, but where should you install the water temp sending unit on an '09 MC automatic??? 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Stephen

Edited by Soggy-1 - June/25/10 at 4:34am
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/09 at 1:12pm
Man how about an easy question!

We will have to either find their tap or a place to tap off. I think one of the track guys might know?
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/09 at 1:21pm
I thought it might be an easy thing but rather than muddy the waters with my 2cents I thought I would get the experience of learned minds!BowDown

Stephen

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/09 at 1:25pm
LOLOLOL

I just have to remember what gen 2 car has the mod while I look in my stuff tonight when I get home.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/09 at 1:31pm
Since mine is a Cooper and NOT an "S" the location might be different.  I personally was thinking about the "T" fitting , in I think the upper radiator hose, under the surge tank where a smaller hose goes back in the direction of the firewall and down.  That hose gets hot first.

S.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/09 at 1:46pm
One suggestion I think we can find a better way then Alta's instruction.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/09 at 1:50pm
I am all ears, or eyes in this circumstance.

S.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/09 at 2:27pm
Did you get a eletrical sending unit or mechanical

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/09 at 5:35pm
I looks like to me that the factory pulls it off of the thermostat housing, which doesn't help us.

Here is a NAM thread showing the Alta install http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical/129762-gauges-installed.html

Here is Alta's instructions http://www.altaperformance.com/shared/documents/instructions/ampinr210w.pdf

Unless someone else jumps in here this is all we have so far.

John

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/09 at 10:54pm
John:

I got Marshall SCX electric gauges, white faced w/amber night lighting.  I have decided to go with the Cravenspeed cups because they are the correct diameter for the gauges and not bushed to fit a larger gauge pod.  Reading that NAM thread was interesting and it led me to the coolant tank drilling method, the radiator hose cutting method but oddly nobody talked about using the tee fitting in the radiator hose and putting the sensor there?!?  I hesitate to cut or drill into things without the spare replacement part on hand!  Alta says that the water is always circulating in the fill tank but the tank did not warm as quickly as that small hose on the tee.

Stephen

Edited by Soggy-1 - October/30/09 at 10:55pm
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/09 at 11:28pm
I'm thinking that if the sensor will pick up from the little hose you are talking about, go for it.  However, if you want to measure the water at the hottest spot, the thermostat housing or a hose on the hot side of the water pump would be a better choice.  You want to know how hot the water gets in the engine, not the coolant tank.  There might not be much difference, practically speaking, so you decide.  I'm with John regarding the thermostat unless you can reach yours by removing a wheel and fender liner or some such, especially if you have to drill and tap the thing.

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/09 at 11:29pm
One more thing - I'll see if a Gen 2 Cooper shows up at coffee today.  I'll see if I can spot the T-stat or water pump.  Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/09 at 11:39pm
Pat:

I was thinking about the small hose(1"?) that tee's into the radiator hose.  At the radiator hose tee remove it and put a small section of new hose (no cutting involved).  That small hose goes toward the firewall and down to something on the transmission??  I cannot identify the part but it is about 3 inches in diameter and about 2 inches tall with ribs on it and it looks like it might be bolted to the transmission (automatic).

Drilling the radiator fill tank does not appeal to me unless that is the ONLY option, which I doubt.

Stephen

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/09 at 4:24am
Pat I don't know I was looking at the water pump last night what a mess.

Beside the issue of drilling into the tank. If you start to loose water it is reasonable to expect the temp to drop until the coolant starts to flash off into steam. Hence by the time you see a high temp it would be to late, making it not very useful.

I wonder if it would be worth calling Seattle Mini service department and asking for a recommended install location.

John

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/09 at 4:43am
John:

I might give them a call too, but I do hesitate since they might get tweaked about the warranty issues.

Stephen

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/09 at 6:13am
well that was kind of my thought too.

Let me Email Greg

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/09 at 2:01pm

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/09 at 5:07pm
John:

I believe Cravenspeed sells this product.  Thanks for the link! Now to figure out what size te radiator hose is BEFORE I cut into it!!!!  It would be a bummer to have the wrong size once you cut the hose...

Stephen

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/09 at 5:27pm

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/09 at 9:43pm
The setup in the exploded view, numbered 4 & 6, are the hoses in question but knowing what sizes they are is a total mystery until one of them is cut open.  I suspect that even if you took a hose from the MINI parts department the only true measurement would be the ends and not the I.D. somewhere in the middle of the hose.  That said, measuring the hose I.D. at MINI and buying a 6 inch section of whatever size it is and then buying the correct dia. adapter from prosport might be the only way and it means that no OEM gets cut.

Thanks for the link.

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/09 at 12:35am
I'm thinking that if Cravenspeed sells the part, not only would they know the right size, but the best location for it.  If not, head for the parts store and measure the end.  Unless there is a marked "necking down", I suspect there won't be a noticeable difference between the ends and somewhere in the middle.  I've never found one, and I've installed a lot of water temp guages over the years.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/09 at 12:40am
The parts store, i.e. MINI, was my next stop with calipers in hand for I.D. measurements!

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/09 at 2:33am
Yes they do but it is twice as much.

http://www.cravenspeed.com/index.php?productID=205

When and if you do cut the hose could you get a measurement , Please.

Edited by johnf36 - November/01/09 at 2:34am

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/09 at 2:42am

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/09 at 3:09am
onramp:

Do you mean that you have never seen a hose that is necked down between the ends?  I suspect that is true, that they do not neck down.  What I am trying to do is avoid cutting the OEM hose by adding a piece of extra hose at the end after the coupling.

Cravenspeeds coupler looks like a better machined product and is anodized for less corrosion, but I'll bet there are other's out there and I will keep looking.

Edited by Soggy-1 - November/01/09 at 3:10am
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/09 at 3:13am
John:

Yes, if I cut the hose Shocked I will measure and if I don't cut the hose Approve I will measure and I will post the results here.  I will also try to get photos since the digital world is so friendly!

Stephen

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/09 at 3:26am
Thanks, do you have room to add  3 inches of hose?

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/09 at 3:29am
I can't imagine the need for a hose necked down at both ends.  The usual reason for necking down is when a manufacturer uses a standard part with one size neck and a manufacturer specific part at the other end with a smaller neck.  I like your idea of using a piece of hose  and not cutting a factory hose but be careful with the potential to kink the hoses in a tight space.  Sounds like you will be buying a hose to do this anyway, so why not just plan on buying a new factory hose if you decide to take the temp gauge with you if you sell this car.  Hoses are relatively cheap - a maintenance item, really, so I recommend not buying another hose and just cut the existing one.  You won't have any "kinking" potential, which can be REALLY bad for proper cooling.  The extra inch or so that you add can cause the original hose to kink, expecially when hot.  It might look OK when you are doing the job with a cool hose, but don't take the chance.  A warped head is REALLY expensive.

I'd offer to help, but right now my garage is undergoing insulation and sheetrocking, so my tools are banded up in plastic (I have a great radiator hose cutter - straight and quick).  I will be back in operation next weekend.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/09 at 3:55am
In the MCa there seems to be a lot of room compared to the MCS.  Adding 3 inches to one or the other hose might be doable.  One plan is to buy extra parts and return the unused ones if the providers allow it.
The suggestion to put the sensor into the small hose at the tee might be the least disruptive.  The small hose goes to the transmission I believe.  That hose comes off a tee right up next to the radiator where the main hose enters the radiator.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/09 at 3:57am
onramp:

Good luck with the sheetrock job!  It will make your home away from home much more liveable, it did for me!  The heater was a bonus too!

If I don't have to cut the OEM hose life will be good!

S.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>