Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speaker Recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lwendeltarabochia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speaker Recommendations?
    Posted: November/28/09 at 2:52pm

I have the standard 6-speaker system in my 2010 Cooper S and I want to improve the sound.  Does anyone have any recommendations for speakers that work particularly well in the Mini?

Keep Motoring - Drive Fast - Don't Get Caught!
'10 Chili Red Coupe S, sports suspension, white roof, sunroof, white stripes, chrome scoop, 17" web spoke wheels, chrome bumper, and all packages avail.
Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/09 at 2:17pm
Shucks, I'm surprised no one has commented on your question.  I'm not one to give advice since I have an R53.  I have the upgraded Harmon Kardon stereo, but I know you could get better speakers at a much more reasonable price than what I paid.  Hmmmm, I will ask around and see what I can find out.
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
nicknbecka View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicknbecka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/09 at 9:01pm
The NAM audio forums are a good place to poke around for suggestions.

One thing you might be interested in trying is a front/rear speaker swap. The non-HIFI system in the R56's roll off below 100hz in the signal that normally goes to the front speakers. Switching front to back has been said to make a noticeable difference in quality. If you do this Bluetooth and Nav audio gets played through the back speakers instead, but most people that do this seem to be okay with that for the boost in quality.

For speakers, the Focal 165's come up fairly often for front-end replacements, along with Infinity Reference/Kappas; they're all supposed to be brighter than the stock.

Personally, I'd prefer to avoid going brighter, but the only speakers I've noticed commented on NAM that were mentioned as staying to the smooth side were Image Dynamics, which don't seem to come up that often.

The Alpine PDX-5 comes up pretty regularly as a suggestion for amps, since it's nice and small.

Roadster sound also makes a real pretty sub-enclosure for the trunk, which also fits the R53's :)
2007 AB/AB MCS w/ Chrome Line
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/09 at 11:17pm
I have a couple of little amplifier/speaker packages that I wear in my ears, and they provide an AMAZING improvement in the sound quality of my radio.  But then I also hear all the rattles and squeaks, so then I take the little packages out...

That's what you get when you hang around tanks and mortars when young, then open exhausts after that.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/09 at 2:41am
I call them Artillery ears...

As for speakers, I replaced the rears with  Infinity Kappa 692.5i 6X9 and added a tiny Blaupunkt PA 275 2 channel amp for them in the rear cubby.  Left the front original for now.  Greatly improved the sound quality.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
 Post Reply Post Reply