Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > How To Do It
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front marker light replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heine12oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front marker light replacement
    Posted: January/20/10 at 12:48pm
I'm looiing to replace that bulb that shares the same housing as the turn signal on my R53.  I have been able to disconnect the wires to the bulb housing, but can't seem to get the bulb itself out.  I have tried twisting and pulling, but no dice.  Searched NAM and here and can't seem to find it.

Any help?  I'm sure its easy and I'm missing something

thanks

Matt
pepper white. black roof. 20% tint. cobra stripes. rally lights. aero grille. 18" TSW Trackstar 5. Alta CAI. 15%
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phydeaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/10 at 1:34pm
Wow.  That one looks like a real PITA to remove.  I just pulled out my Bentley (MINI Bible!), and if I'm looking at the right section, the process is to remove the whole bumper cover. 

If someone else wants to check my work, I'm looking at 630-11 in the 2002-2006 Bentley.

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/10 at 4:36pm
Not sure how I missed this, I just replace my front turn signal bulbs but you are talking about the other one right?
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Zippy View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/10 at 9:24pm
It looks like you are supposed to be able to get the bulbs out w/ out removing the cover. The turn bulb rotates towards the center of the car and the parking bulb turns away from center, then pull.
I replaced the lamp assemblies with LED type and I had to remove the bumper cover to do it. There is not much room back there. It's not a hard job, just watch out for the thermometer attached to the bottom of the bumper cover.

06 MCS Royal Gray, MINI Fini Sportlink - Mostly Harmless
Kristin View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/10 at 11:35pm
I can verify that it helps to have little fingers.  Mine fit, Rich's did not.
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/10 at 11:38pm
I changed mine with banana fingers.  You can to it.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/10 at 12:12pm
These  bulb holders can be REALLY hard to pull out after the exposure to weather, road junk.  I gave up changing a friend's bulb because we thought we were going to break the holder.  Eventually got it.  Just have to do it with authority.  Go get it.  Just do it!
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
heine12oz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heine12oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/10 at 1:27am
Originally posted by Rob N Rob N wrote:

I changed mine with banana fingers.  You can to it.
is this a real thing that I need to buy?  Cause if you are talking about clumsy or size, I have huge hands.  They barely fit back there.  My wife had to help.

would I be able to take a pair of pliers to it and squeeze gently?
pepper white. black roof. 20% tint. cobra stripes. rally lights. aero grille. 18" TSW Trackstar 5. Alta CAI. 15%
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/10 at 2:59am
I have a hard time putting gently nd pliers in the same sentenceBig%20smile 

CosmicTraveler View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/10 at 11:04am
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

I have a hard time putting gently nd pliers in the same sentenceBig%20smile 

Something like a match and gasoline.

Tx John ... Got a good chuckle.
   Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/10 at 11:06am
Thumbs%20Up

heine12oz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heine12oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/10 at 11:15am
me too.  I like Lenny petting the rabbits
beanybb View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beanybb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/10 at 3:34pm
Neither Bob nor I could do this. Seattle MINI did it for 4.95 including the bulb.
BeanyBaby
A 2005 BlackEye Purple Cabrio
The better half of a two MINI family!
Anna
Freeman View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/10 at 1:56pm
Its easy on mine... but I'm missing the fender moldings and other look goodies. I'd remove the bumper cover, its only 2 torx screws and unsnapping the cover
 Post Reply Post Reply