Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Membership - New Member Introductions > Let Me Introduce Myself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Embarking on Mini Experience!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnyew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Embarking on Mini Experience!
    Posted: February/21/10 at 10:39am

My wife and I are finally embarking on Mini ownership and want to make sure we're going about it right.  We've been looking at some models and found a 2007 convertible that has just come off of lease (18k miles).  Very clean, handles great (auto), pepper white, loaded.  What should I look for and what is a good price. Other option would be to go through private purchase with input from the PSMINI crew.  All input appreciated and looking forward to meeting up with some of you in Des Moines (Povertry Bay Wine Tasting) next month.  John U

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/10 at 10:58am
Welcome have you checked out Nam?
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/

Is it for sale by private party,dealer or Mini dealer? You don't say it it is just a cooper ,  S or  JCW ?

Low mileage 07s are going from 18 to 25 depending on what packages they have? The Cabrio's do go for a little more.

John

Edited by johnf36 - February/21/10 at 11:00am
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/10 at 11:22am
Check out this link to a PSMINI Tech Session that will be held at the Seattle MINI Dealership. Lots of MINI owners there to talk to and a great way to get acquainted with the people at the dealership.

Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Johnnyew View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnyew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/10 at 11:25am
John - it is through Seattle Mini.  It is a Mini Cooper S.  Looks like is was garaged and not driven hard at all.  Haven't looked at NAM (thanks for the lead).  This one is beinging offered for ~$22K.  It has a lot of extras including a windscreen that sit behind the front seats to reduce wind when the top is down.  My wife is a little concerned about the rear visiblity due to the rollbars.

John U
Vader View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/10 at 12:33pm
I used to have a convertible ('06) but traded it in for my Clubman.  The rear visibility is a bit limited, but you get used to it fairly quickly.  You really learn how to use your mirrors with a convertible.  Sounds like it could be a good price - what are all the "extras".  Does it have heated seats, GPS, etc?
Hit the Road Jack ...
'13 R56 PepperWhite-HIS
'13 R60 All4 Oxford Green - HERS
'80 Rover Mini MkVII-EngWh-OURS (really mine!)
('13 R56 IcedChoc-SONS)
Johnnyew View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnyew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/10 at 12:54pm

It has heated seats, CD, rear back up sensors, wind screen (behind head rests).  We've got a portable Garmin that we use on the road now so GPS installed not as important.  I'm not all that familiar yet with the way many Mini's are configured but sounds like this might be the way go.  Also had new Pirelli's installed. 

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/10 at 1:44pm
Sounds good, and that is right in the middle of the prices. Since it is from Seattle Mini is it Mini Next Certified? What kind of warrenty package is coming with it?

Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/10 at 1:56pm
Hi John U... 

Come join us at Seattle MINI next Sunday as Jack/CINIMIN suggested.  They'll be plenty of us who could give you and your wife some advice on what you may or may not want on your MINI.  You're welcome to look at my MINI and I'm sure there's others that'll be there, so you'll have plenty of various MINIs to look at.

However, do you think you can wait that long to buy one?  LOL  I know it's a killer to play the waiting game, but hang in there.

Cheers,
Brenda  Smile
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/10 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Johnnyew Johnnyew wrote:

John - it is through Seattle Mini.  It is a Mini Cooper S.  Looks like is was garaged and not driven hard at all.  Haven't looked at NAM (thanks for the lead).  This one is beinging offered for ~$22K.  It has a lot of extras including a windscreen that sit behind the front seats to reduce wind when the top is down.  My wife is a little concerned about the rear visiblity due to the rollbars.

John U
Have you looked at Craigslist?  That's one possibility.  Here's a few I found:

Let me know what color you're looking for specifically and I'll keep an eye out for you.  Are you wanting an automatic transmission or is a manual okay?  Would you like an S or non-S?
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
Johnnyew View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnyew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/10 at 11:18pm

We're so delighted with all the great input from the crew!  Like the ones on Craigslist and by comparison with the condition, mileage and Mini Next Cert of the one we've been looking at it sounds like it fits our needs.  Assuming that many of you have done business with Seattle Mini (meeting there next Sunday, correct?) that you're satisfied with service (personal and mechanical) from the organization?  Again, really appreciate all the input!  John U 

Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/10 at 11:41pm
Helloooooo!  It's always great to hear about someone coming into the MINI world!
Sounds like you've found a MINI that's calling out to you! 

Seattle MINI seems to be very friendly and trying to do right by MINI owners. I would think their Certified program would be a safe bet - I'm assuming they stand behind the cars.

Whatever you end up with, you're certain to enjoy driving a MINI!  We'd love to see photos when you get your MINI Smile

Cheers!
Vader View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/10 at 12:04am

I have had wonderful experience at Seattle MINI (NW MINI has been good to us as well).  I think the MINI Next Cert would be a nice perk since you know they stand behind the car. 

Can't wait to meet you guys and hopefully your new "family" member soon. 

Hit the Road Jack ...
'13 R56 PepperWhite-HIS
('13 R56 IcedChoc-SONS)
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/10 at 2:06am
Seattle Mini Thumbs%20UpThumbs%20Up

GR8SCOT View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GR8SCOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/10 at 1:03pm
Hi John! Good luck on your decision! Don't let me plan your day for you but ...get it!! Yeah, me likey my new pepper white mini! I hope you will be able to make it to the Poverty Bay wine festival on March 7 also! No pressure... but the wine festival is only 2 weeks away! We must show up those Triumphs!
Alison
2015 Blue/White MC with white bonnet stripes

Alison
Johnnyew View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnyew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/10 at 12:08pm
Went over to Seattle Mini today to look at the Pepper White 2007 C convertible (very clean) as well as the selection of 2010 C hardtops they have in stock (have to at least check!).  There is a special on through March that gives credit for either auto trans or Permium packages.  Found a couple that filled the bill but had an appointment so had to postpone test drives until tomorrow.  I'll keep you all posted - perhaps I can provide a new addition to the cadre at the Poverty Bay wine festival!  Again, thanks for all the input.
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/10 at 10:30pm
Like they said in the song, "Go Johnny Go!!"
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
Johnnyew View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnyew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/10 at 9:18am
Well, we dropped a hunk of our children's inheritance today and don't feel one ounce of remorse!  After all, isn't Mini ownership a higher calling!  More info and pictures after I pick up the little cutie.  Hope to join the gathering at the Poverty Bay wine tasting this coming Sunday and introduce myself and our new addtion!  Thanks again for all the information and support.  John U 
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/10 at 9:33am
Congrates and it sounds like Seattle Mini did a good job, you could make the tech session at Seattle Mini that is coming up.

John

Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/10 at 9:36am

CONGRATULATIONS!  Thumbs%20Up

My curiosity is killing me:  did you get the convertible you were looking at?
Can't wait to see pics, and meet you and your MINI in person. Tongue

Happy Motoring!
GR8SCOT View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GR8SCOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/10 at 11:02am
CONTRATULATIONS! Yeah, what did you end up buying!!!!???? The wine festival is not this coming Sunday but the next, March 7. Hope to see you, your wife and your new cutie at Anthony's Home Port, Des Moines - noon!!
Alison
2015 Blue/White MC with white bonnet stripes

Alison
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/10 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Johnnyew Johnnyew wrote:

Well, we dropped a hunk of our children's inheritance today and don't feel one ounce of remorse!  After all, isn't Mini ownership a higher calling!  More info and pictures after I pick up the little cutie.  Hope to join the gathering at the Poverty Bay wine tasting this coming Sunday and introduce myself and our new addtion!  Thanks again for all the information and support.  John U 
CONGRATULATONS!!!  Big%20smileWooHoo
I wouldn't feel too bad about spending some of your children's inheritance.  You've got to live and your kids will benefit from the MINI also.  Wink  I spent my son's college money to buy my MINI.  He decided college wasn't his thing, so I spent it on a MINI for me.  Smile
Johnnyew View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnyew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/10 at 11:58am
Great news about the date for the gathering in Des Moines being on March 7 as Jan is tied up this weekend on Sunday!  I'll get all the info on the magical Mini and (if I can figure out how) post a picture after I pick it up tomorrow!  I know, drama, intrigue, suspense ..... but how often do you get to buy your first Mini!  Also, the sales guy (Michael Reischstein) and Marketing Manager had really nice things to say about the PSMMC.  Also offered me an application to the club (he had them in his drawer) but forgot to enclose in my paperwork.  Assume I can apply on line, you give me a once over at Des Moines (becareful - remember what Groucho Marx said about a club that would take him in!) and join the fun. WooHoo 
PS - I'm in full agree with inheritance comments!LOL
catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/10 at 12:00pm
Congrats!  You're going to love the fun!  Look forward to meeting you soon.
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
Vader View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/10 at 12:26am
So excited for you.  I am dying to know all the details and which one you took home. 
Hit the Road Jack ...
'13 R56 PepperWhite-HIS
('13 R56 IcedChoc-SONS)
TWIZZLR View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert
PSMINI Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWIZZLR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/10 at 6:52am
Welcome to the club. It is time to Live LARGE in your MINI.

Happy Motoring!!

Karin
Karin & Karen

11 JCW Midnight Blk Roof Caps All pkgs, Aero
Johnnyew View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnyew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/10 at 1:20pm
OK - here's the details!  I picked up our new Mini tonight at Seattle Mini (they were great by the way) - all clean, shined up and the 3M chip guard package installed.  It is a 2010 MINI Cooper S Hardtop (yeah, we sprang for the new one - fell in love at first sight), 6 speed, Chili Red / black top with carbon black checkered cloth interior.  It has the sun roof, Harmon / kardon sound system, 17" wheels, black bonnet stripes, fog lights and xenon headlights.  It was fantastic to  put in the fob, push start and let 'er rip!  We've been in love with the Mini's for a long time so we're in 7th heaven.  Look froward to meeting the crew in DesMoines (we'll follow the glow of the MINI's) - thanks for all the help and input over the last days! 
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/10 at 1:00am
OUTSTANDING CHOICE!  Thumbs%20Up   It's easy to see why it was love at first sight!

Your MINI love affair will really get into full gear now Tongue
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/10 at 1:06am
Great, but what changed your mind from a peper white cabrio to a Chili Red hard top? Did that one have the black rims.

John

Johnnyew View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnyew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/10 at 1:59am

A big piece was Jan's concern about rear visibility due to the roll bars and (when top down) restrition of vis due to fabric in top.  In addition, we've had a number of red cars in the past (the Fit we're selling is one of them) and just seemed to speak to us.  I think the manual trans and the sound system put me over the top.  I will say, from limited driving, that I may inadvertently get my first speeding ticket!  Coming back from Seattle to Burien I found myself blithely zipping past rush hour traffic to find that I'd just moved into the 80's (mph not a musical flash back).  It was a tough choice over the Pepper White Cab as the visions of me with the wind in my hair, sun on my face with Jan by my side winging our way down 101 ...... wait a minute, another flash back ..... impacts of the 60's indiscressions? .....! 

Johnnyew View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnyew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/10 at 2:08am
We're in with both feet!  Here's a pic - no MINI tattoos yet!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>