Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Dealer Discussions > Service Discussions and Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R56 Cold Start Engine Sound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/11 at 4:00pm
"I would have been on the phone after the 1st hour of waiting!!!!"

I did call after an hour asking if the driver got lost but I was told they have a service agreement (SLA) of 80 minutes and that if I wanted someone could call the towing company to see where they were.  MINI wouldn't give up the direct contact information for the company - something about how they want to be "involved."  

But yes, 3rd party contract...  I just wish they were honest about it and told me they will get to me whenever they feel like it.  

Interesting post about how PS MINI had a phone tree to call for help - I'll say this...  ALL the MINI owners I've met are happy people in general.  Maybe certain personality's are attracted to the car....

Edited by Jasper - January/10/11 at 4:11pm
07 JCW Dark Grey with black top
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/11 at 4:15pm
Slightly off topic, but regarding your comment about happy people -- I think might be the car that makes the people happier than they were before! 
Jasper View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/11 at 6:07pm
Turns out my problem wasn't related to the cold start issue.  I had the other common problem, fuel pump failure.  

I'll stray a little off topic as well...  You might be right about the car making people happier....  Then again, I read somewhere the median income of a MINI owner is $125K a year.  We are all young, old and middle aged...  and we fall into 4 categories, "brand enthusiasts, who relish the car's British racing roots; design aficionados, who like the car's simple elegance; social butterflies, who want to be part of the Mini community; and gas misers, who crave the Mini's fuel efficiency."

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/107938/what-your-car-says-about-you.html?mod=family-autos

Jasper 

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/11 at 6:52pm
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Gaffer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/13 at 7:53pm
Hello Everybody,
I had just started to notice the ticking in my 08 Clubman S, and made an appointment at Eastside Bavarian. They told me its a common problem with the timing tensioner that they fix all the time. The repair would cost about $1200 but have heard of a few people that have talked the dealership into a discounted repair because it is such a common problem. I am out of warranty and wondering if anybody was able to have the repair done at a discount.
My turbo oil supply line also just started leaking, has anybody attempted this repair themselves? That is also a pricey repair and doesn't look that hard to do yourself from what I've read, but I could be wrong. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Gaffer.
Jasper View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/13 at 8:35am
At a certain point Seattle MINI was doing these types of repairs at cost but I wouldn't expect them to do that for everyone.  It sounded like a case by case situation, I would recommend talking to the service advisor at the desk and explaining the situation.  Worst case is they say no and you go elsewhere for your repair needs.  Best case they won't acknowledge any fault but will do what they can to not take advantage of your situation. 

I suspect one of the reasons why they were willing to accommodate my needs was I didn't go into the situation looking for blood and I had a long history of repairs/servicing with the dealership. 

Good luck,
Jasper
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/13 at 6:48pm
The tension chain/cold start issue shouldn't sound like ticking it should sound like a diesel. The "ticking" is normal for a direct injection engine. Of course, I've not heard your MINI so don't really know what you consider ticking. If you'd like, PM me. I'm close to issaquah and can give a quick listen at a local Starbucks or something. Did Bavarian quote you based on your description or have they actually listened to your engine?

Gaffer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/13 at 1:31pm
Thanks for the input.
I ended up taking it to Seattle mini and they diagnosed it as the timing chain tensioner, even though mini corporation was not willing to help with any of the costs because of mileage, Rachel the service supervisor was awesome and was willing and able to get the price of both the tensioner and the leaking turbo oil line down to a manageable price. All is good again, thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12