Forum Home Forum Home > Site Information and Feedback > Site Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why is the site so slow?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is the site so slow?
    Posted: March/09/10 at 6:41pm
For the last several days, I have experienced long delays on actions, including hitting the back button after reading a topic to get back to the new posts, and especially when responding to a post.  I can often finish a solitaire game and start a second before the post takes.  Time of day doesn't seem to make any difference, nor does the computer being used or the location of that computer.  Just seems to be some slowdown on the site.  Got any ideas?

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/10 at 7:08pm
Seems to work OK up here.  Connection issues? 
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/10 at 7:20pm
No problems here either.
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/10 at 7:23pm
Not with any other site.  I've been looking for all kinds of things - number of users, time of day (I do experience some slowdown during the evening hours, but everything slows a bit then because of the number of people working their computers.  I can watch videos, do email, lots of other stuff while waiting for stuff to load.  It has just been the last week or so.  Average time is two to three minutes.  It isn't always slow, but often enough that I thought I would ask.  I just responded to the JCW guy, and that posted immediately, and now is the time that my online performance slides a bit due to higher usage on Comcast.  I'm open for other things to check.  Pat

PS - this message took 2 minutes and 43 seconds to post...   That's too long.

And the edit posted immediately!

Edited by onramp - March/09/10 at 7:24pm
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/10 at 7:43pm
Hmmm...not sure Pat. No issues here either..the posts are going through lickity split.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
kenru View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/10 at 10:46pm
Comcast had a fiber trunk line burn in the south end somewhere.  I wonder if that is causing problems?
One good turn deserves another...and another...

CosmicTraveler View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/10 at 11:18pm
You're not alone Pat, but you must play cards better than me.  I have found things a bit slow too, but I've had longstanding issues with Comcast service around here in general, and as for this site ... I'm just very happy we're up and heading towards normal again.  I also won't comment about computer issues until I finish building my next new machine.  Started last Friday.  Finally graduating from Win98SE - which I recently discovered has degraded to the point of being most frustrating, in part due to a "security" update to Explorer.  But most importantly - Damn that registry concept!!!

I didn't know about the "hot" section of fiber Ken.  There is a rumor that fiber is inching along towards my neighborhood.  When that happens, maybe I won't have to watch FX in pixelated form any longer.

Mitch, Eric ... What about you guys?
   Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/10 at 11:42pm
No problems here, both at home or mobile

John
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

MiniCharley View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MiniCharley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/10 at 9:34am
I haven't noticed any difference in speed...   It's working fast for me!
Our family:
12 R60 All4 SB/Blk WILDBLUE
12 R59 JCW Roaster PB/RED APOLLO

04 IB/W MCS CHARLEY
12 All4 CB/Bk YONDER
12 CoupeS LB/Bk DBCOUPE
80 Mini Kensington Red STELLA
Escape Pod View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Escape Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/10 at 9:51am
Pat,
I'm wondering if there's any chance there's something in your cache that's trying to hit the old servers instead of the new ones.  Have you already cleared your temporary internet files?  Just a thought....

Also, after the page reloads, there's a note that shows up at the bottom of the screen that says "This page was generated in xxx seconds".  When you're noticing slowness, perhaps you could note the page-generation time and see if there's a relationship there?  I'm guessing not, since it's probably transmission speed rather than being an issue on the web host server's end.

(disclaimer .. I know just enough about computers to be TOTALLY WRONG on a regular basis LOL  )

Edited by Escape Pod - March/10/10 at 9:54am
Roy & Beth Morey
Red/Blk JCW Roadster (His)
Silver/Red JCW Coupe (Hers)
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phydeaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/10 at 10:39am
Originally posted by CosmicTraveler CosmicTraveler wrote:

You're not alone Pat, but you must play cards better than me.  I have found things a bit slow too, but I've had longstanding issues with Comcast service around here in general, and as for this site ... I'm just very happy we're up and heading towards normal again.  I also won't comment about computer issues until I finish building my next new machine.  Started last Friday.  Finally graduating from Win98SE - which I recently discovered has degraded to the point of being most frustrating, in part due to a "security" update to Explorer.  But most importantly - Damn that registry concept!!!

I didn't know about the "hot" section of fiber Ken.  There is a rumor that fiber is inching along towards my neighborhood.  When that happens, maybe I won't have to watch FX in pixelated form any longer.

Mitch, Eric ... What about you guys?

Can't say that I've noticed, but then, I'm accessing via the backhauled network link from our Redmond office to Helsinki, Finland (seriously, the IP address is allocated to Finland.  Could be a local connection, but I doubt it).  Lately I've been lucky to do anything on the "intar-webz" when I'm home at night.  So I can't offer much there.  I also don't use Comcast at home, so my experience may be somewhat different.

On the topic of "page generated in ### seconds", while it's nice, it doesn't provide a true picture of what's happening.  That's simply how long it took the server to create the page to be delivered to the requesting client.  Doesn't have anything to do with the actual transport of that page and it's contents to the client. 

As mentioned, clearing of the cache and temp internet files is ALWAYS a good first step.  That's the first place I go when looking into page load issues.

If it still is incredibly slow for you, Pat, let me know.  I'll come over some weekend and take a look with my bag of tricks, which is mostly my laptop with all the various tools I use to diagnose connection issues.  ;)  Plus, it's an excuse to get me over there to install a swaybar.  ;)

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/10 at 11:39am
you might also go to speedtest.net and see what it says about your connection.  Might provide a clue.  I have comcast and my connection really rocks.  Both up and down.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/10 at 1:02pm
I have had no issues through Qwest.  However, my son said Xbox live was lagging when he was playing online. 

Pat, my only advice is reboot and reset the modem.  I did that and his Xbox issues cleared up.

Mitch
Mitch & Teri
<font color=BLUE>2006 Cooper Checkmate[/COLOR]
<font color=RED>2013 JCW Countryman[/COLOR]
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/10 at 7:30pm
I think I should be more clear.  I'm not having any issues with comcast, other than a little bit of slowdown during the evening when everybody else in the area is on the net.  The only site I'm having this problem with is PS Mini.  All the actions of my computer seem to be immediate - changing from site to site, responding to emails, opening pictures and pdf files - whatever.  Just this site.  Sometimes things load quickly, sometimes agonizingly not.  That's why I was wondering.  Thanks for the suggestion, Roy - I need to be reminded to clear the temp internet files occasionally.  Still, tonight - just with this site - sometimes fine - sometimes not.  It took me forever to get thru the posts on Tina's trials with her new car.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts.  I'll keep watching for the "time to load" message.

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
 Post Reply Post Reply