Forum Home Forum Home > Autocross and Racing > Racing Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We need a hillclimb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: We need a hillclimb
    Posted: April/11/10 at 7:45pm
http://www.harewoodhill.com/videos/

The down load here is slow but the video is great. http://www.gurstondown.org/

Edited by johnf36 - April/11/10 at 8:13pm
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/10 at 7:28am
Hill Climbs are sweet! Nice pick Johh. Maryhill would be an awesome place for a hillclimb competition. Too bad the USA is so lawsuit happy or you might see more of that kind of thing stateside.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/10 at 12:18pm

Now you're talking!!!!!!!!

Here's a link to my very first competitive event: http://www.pahillclimb.org/Courses/Reading.htm

This, Fleetwood and Hershey were the three that I ran as a wee kid in a 1967 MGB with my father & mother signoffs.

Reading, PA was a little racing mecca. We had the Midgets and Sprints on the dirt track of Reading Fairgrounds and everyones dare devel hero Joey Chitwood. When anyone got a little crazy, we always said "Who do you think you are, Joey Chitwood. Ah, great memories.

Here's a link to a clip I found of the course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-e4H1bnFBM

Lot's faster now. But back in the day some British Iron ruled, Lola, Sunbeams, Lotus, Mini, MG and Triumph. You'd also see the likes of BMW and 356 and early 911 & 912 Porsches. I can remember being blown away by a cream color BMW 1600 on the way home from Hersey. Guy passed me like I was standing still. That's when I knew "some day" I would have a BMW!

Martin, unfortunately your right. We are a far to litigious society. But I wonder if there are any events in the Pacific NW. Think I might have seen mention of an event in BC somewhere.

Cheers!
07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/10 at 12:38pm
Nice, Thanks for sharing Boomer.

John

searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/10 at 1:15pm
The Willamette Motor Club has a hill climb event every year. I've autocrossed with them but have never done a hill climb. On that page there is a link to the Northwest Hillclimb Assn.
Larry

2005 JB/W MCS:RMW Tuned 215hp/187tq,cam|TSW x-brace|Cross Coilovers w/Swift Springs|OZ Alleggerita|Direzza|Scorpion Exh|etc.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/10 at 1:39pm
Cool I know were that is we played them in football.

Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/10 at 4:28pm
Guys that Bible Creek Hillclimb sounds fantastic. 2.2 miles 900 ft. of elevation change and $90.00 entry fee.

It would really be fun to put a group together to do this.

This would NOT BE CONSIDERED A HPDE.

Would probably take most of a day to get there and as a Novice you have to take their class etc. that's on Friday.

Will have to think about this. Haven't done this in MANY MANY YEARS but it was fun. Might even be worthwhile to go just to watch.

Cheers!

07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/10 at 4:50pm
What do we need to certify on tech check the only thing I saw was some thing about a NHA sticker. The person that runs this is in Salem. I has been a long time since I drove that road, it was fun back then in my Nova. Spent a number of summers out at Sand Lake. We could easly stay in Tillamook. Looks like VW's and Toyota's I wonder how we stack up agianst a MR2. I we get 5 to 10 Mini's that would be great. Does Larry know more about this?

John

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/10 at 5:23pm
Okay if you headover to www.nhahillclimb.org you can find all the rules there are 3 runs in oregon Cascade Lakes on June 12-13 Larrison Rock July 3-4 and Bible creek Aug 14-15 when you get over to the site you can look at the course from great satilite veiws. Looks like $25 for a membership, I just wonder what class we would be in because it talks about forced induction engines that it doubles the cubic inches so would that put in a 3 liter class. I would think that if we set thing up ahead with the event organizers we could work something out.

John

valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/10 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

Okay if you headover to www.nhahillclimb.org you can find all the rules there are 3 runs in oregon Cascade Lakes on June 12-13 Larrison Rock July 3-4 and Bible creek Aug 14-15 when you get over to the site you can look at the course from great satilite veiws. Looks like $25 for a membership, I just wonder what class we would be in because it talks about forced induction engines that it doubles the cubic inches so would that put in a 3 liter class. I would think that if we set thing up ahead with the event organizers we could work something out.

John

And for those of us without the forced induction...
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/10 at 7:05pm
hmmmmm....me thinks we be gettin' some good thinkin' goin' on in this here thread! :)
'80 Mini English White
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/10 at 7:50pm
I am still trying to figure out some of this, they seem to lean toward SCCA rules. Seems like it is a fairly open event, I mean when the club say if you have Autocrossed and have a half of brain you can Hillclimb. I would think that would mean it is easy to do. I also think that the Wilamette Club could answer some of these question. Me thinks Me need to see if I know anyone over there, wonder were there members list is located.

I think you would be in the 1.6 and under 2 class for non induction Bruce.

searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/10 at 8:22pm
John, can't help much as I don't know anyone who has done a hill climb with WMC. I know a friend was thinking about doing it one year and he had plans to mount a fire extinguisher. He hasn't participated in a hill climb yet though.

I don't see a member list but you could look through the various results pages and you might recognize someone.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/10 at 9:41pm
Ok so I am in there fourm and have fired off info asking about the hill climb

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/10 at 1:58am

Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/10 at 8:20am
John, I'd love to do this. Question is which is closer. The Cascade Lakes one doesn't look nearly as interesting as Bible Creek or Larison Creek.

Have to have a little more time to look at your info.

Cheers!
BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/10 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

http://www.harewoodhill.com/videos/

The down load here is slow but the video is great. http://www.gurstondown.org/

Oh, now that looks like a blast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
New 2013 Clubby S - JCW Engine tune - JCW Brake Kit - JCW Exhaust - JCW Cold Air Intake - Lowered - Racing Wheels
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/10 at 12:30pm
Yes Boomer I agree and from my past travels the roads down south aren't in as good of shape because they get hit harder with snow and ice. The Bible creek road doesn't get hammered as hard in the winter.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/10 at 12:58pm
I am also looking at the Mountains to the Sea Rally put on by CSCC http://www.cascadesportscarclub.org/roadRally.asp?page=home

There is all so the TSD rallies http://www.tsdroadrally.com/RCC/index.cfm

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/10 at 12:07pm
Okay Guy I have been working with WMC to see what needs to be done to make this happen. Here is the deal as long as we are not trying to compete in the series it is easy.

No Drivers License, No Certification and No Classification

If we want to do this for fun what we need to do is have a Helmet, Fire extinguisher, pay entry fee, Drivers meeting and buy a NHA sticker

Edited by johnf36 - April/14/10 at 12:09pm

PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/10 at 7:22am
Let's pick one and do it then! Drive
'80 Mini English White
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/10 at 8:07am

John, really good info.

Martin, I agree, let's pick one.

The question is which one is closer and which one would offer the most runs. Seem to recall the Bible Creek Hillclimb was run over 2 days with a novice meeting held on the Friday before the weekend events.

If we could get a group going, I'm in.

Cheers!
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/10 at 9:13am
Bible Creek is the closest and is the olny one I got verified that could be run for fun

Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/10 at 11:54am
This sounds like it would be a fun weekend.

Need to verify with "The Boss", try to convince her it would be something she'd enjoy.

Then find out about Hotels in the area. Also need to check the web for fire extinguishers and mounts.

Cheers!
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/10 at 12:10pm
I am still working on that part too Boomer.

Under Safety 3.3 and 3.3.1
One 5BC mounted and easy to reach
http://www.nhahillclimb.org/Rules.html

Post Reply Post Reply