Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Black out headlight rings, side marker and gascap
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black out headlight rings, side marker and gascap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heine12oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black out headlight rings, side marker and gascap
    Posted: April/13/10 at 9:39pm
To go with my blacked out belt line, I decided that I wanted to paint the other chrome parts.  I have looked at the vinyl overlays and all of the various ways to paint the chrome pieces.  I read a great thread on NAM to use Plasti-dip paint.  This stuff is truly amazing.  Easy to work with and not much prep needed.  I cleaned all of the pieces with rubbing alchohol and sprayed 3 coats on each piece.  Important to note that you need to spray this stuff about 12" away from the surface.  Take your time and try not to glob it at all.  it may look textured when you apply it. but it will drive smooth.  Don't touch it and wear latex gloves.

I removed the side markers completely from the car.  I decided to not paint the S so I removed it.  It is held on with one of those spring clips that mini oh so loves to use.  After that, you have to remove the black plastic piece by snapping it off.  The S is held on with some black silicone, so I just eased it off with a small screw driver.  3 coats of paint with a dry time of about 30 minutes between coats.

Next was the headlight.  I removed the entire headlight assembly by unscrewing the 3 torx screws that holds the headlight in place.  If you have the xenon headlights, the third screw is under the ballast, so you have to unscrew the ballast first and than remove the torx screw.  you will have to disconnect the washer tube if you have that feature as well.  I tried to remove the headlight rings like some had done before me.  That didn't work, so I aborted that.  I taped the whole lense with blue tape and than trimed around the chrome.  Ensure that the tape is far enough off the chrome so you get paint on the inside lip.  I also taped a garbage bag around the backside of the light assembly so no overspray would hit it.  Important to note that once you spray on the light, take an x-acto knife around the lip so the paint doesn't stick to the tape.

Next was the gas cap.  that was the easiest one.  There is one screw that holds the lid on, remove screw, cap comes off.  I put the lid from the spray paint under the lid so it was elevated and not touching to ensure I got the underside of the lip with paint.  I did the same technique with the side markers. 

Here is a side profile pic with the headlight, marker light and the beltline.  Next will be the door handles.  Those have to be painted on the car, as I have read they are a PITA to take off.  I read you can slide 3x5 index cards behind the rubber molding on the handle, tape off the door really good and spray away.  SHould be fun.

Hope that this helps the next guy.  I really like the look and it was easy to do.  Take your time, be patient and it will turn out great.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Matt

Edited by heine12oz - April/13/10 at 9:43pm
pepper white. black roof. 20% tint. cobra stripes. rally lights. aero grille. 18" TSW Trackstar 5. Alta CAI. 15%
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/10 at 9:48pm
Nice job! I've heard a lot of good things about the Plasti-Dip route.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
heine12oz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heine12oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/10 at 9:51pm
its amazing stuff and the texture is the same as the stock side skirts.  turns out great.
pepper white. black roof. 20% tint. cobra stripes. rally lights. aero grille. 18" TSW Trackstar 5. Alta CAI. 15%
catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/10 at 9:52pm
Yeah!  Another Plasti-Dip convert!  That's what we did with Catlvr a couple months ago.  We used a lot of the posts on NAM to do it and also learned by trial and error.  We even blacked out my white wheels with it and all if it's holding up wonderfully even after driving to Vegas and back!  And the beauty of it is you can just peel it off if you want to go back to original.  Thumbs Up
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
heine12oz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heine12oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/10 at 9:56pm
I love the fact you can peel it off, that is awesome.  I want to do the hood scoop, but I couldn't figure out how to take it off.  Anyone know how?
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/10 at 2:44am
That looks great, I need to find some plastic-dip spray.

The hold scoop comes off from under the hood with I thin 2 or 4 screws.

Edited by johnf36 - April/14/10 at 2:45am
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/10 at 7:05am
Very sharp looking! Thumbs Up  Love the black & white!
catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/10 at 6:59pm
Plasti-dip = Home Depot, $5.95 a can and we used 4 cans (that includes doing the wheels).
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
heine12oz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heine12oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/10 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

That looks great, I need to find some plastic-dip spray.

The hold scoop comes off from under the hood with I thin 2 or 4 screws.
I looked at it John and couldn't figure it out.  If you get a chance, can you snap a pic of the screws and the loctation under the hood?
heine12oz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heine12oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/10 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Genie B Genie B wrote:

thanks Genie- I love it too.  I have a small red accent as well.  I want to add black with red pin viper stripes, that is on the mod list.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/10 at 10:13pm
Sure but I will have to do it in the morning. It is really 2 pieces, 2 screws at the back and 2 nuts the studs for the nuts are attached to the outside part then it kind of lifts and slides back.

Hot Shot View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/10 at 12:17am
Nicely done. I'm in the process of doing mine. Just did the gas cap tonight. Going to do the side gills tomorrow and the headlights before the Frost meet on Sunday. Still have to do the mirror caps too. You going to do your door handles?
-James
www.jboyerphotography.com

ACTUAL SIZE Sticker GB
<
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/10 at 1:04am
this is not my car, and the black stock plastic has been replaced with the M7 mod. You will see the 2 screws just below the foam edge on the plate, then look up top you can see the studs and nuts coming through the hood.

Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/10 at 7:50am
Originally posted by heine12oz heine12oz wrote:

Originally posted by Genie B Genie B wrote:

thanks
Genie- I love it too.  I have a small red accent as well.  I want to add black with red pin viper stripes, that is on the mod list.

The viper stripes sound great!  Black & white with Red accents is always fabulous!  Red makes that classic black & white really pop! Thumbs Up 
heine12oz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heine12oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/10 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Hot Shot Hot Shot wrote:

Nicely done. I'm in the process of doing mine. Just did the gas cap tonight. Going to do the side gills tomorrow and the headlights before the Frost meet on Sunday. Still have to do the mirror caps too. You going to do your door handles?
thank you

Yes, I'm going to do the handles, except I'm going to paint them on the car and not remove them.  I may also paint the handle wells too.  Mine are really scratched up and would like nice painted.
 Post Reply Post Reply