Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

#1 cylinder misfire...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: #1 cylinder misfire...
    Posted: May/06/10 at 8:12am

Engine light??

#1 cylinder is mis-firing..

This has happened 3 or 4 times since Vegas, and I had blown up my supercharger.

Story:

I am just driving along on the freeway and the engine misfires and the Service engine light came on.. of course… as I am doing 60 mph I just keep going on 3 cylinders, after about 5 minutes it reset itself, engine ran fine..

On the track last Friday it did the same thing, but I pulled off and restarted the car and it was fine.. so this morning it did it again… so I stopped the car and restarted it again and it is fine again..

Something tells me this Is not good.. Any ideas?? Advice (sound advice about the issue, please)

Steve

Edited by BurnerS - May/06/10 at 8:13am
New 2013 Clubby S - JCW Engine tune - JCW Brake Kit - JCW Exhaust - JCW Cold Air Intake - Lowered - Racing Wheels
kenru View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 8:33am
Can't be good...  Have you checked the plugs condition and proper torque?  The wires, coil, coil wire harness?  What code is it throwing?
One good turn deserves another...and another...

BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 10:13am
So far I have checked the wires to see if they had come loose, tonight I will get the code and let you know... Plugs were replaced after this happened the first time...

Edited by BurnerS - May/06/10 at 11:29am
New 2013 Clubby S - JCW Engine tune - JCW Brake Kit - JCW Exhaust - JCW Cold Air Intake - Lowered - Racing Wheels
Zippy View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 11:44am
Loose wires is a common problem, from the coil and the plug. I think it's normally #4. They are also known to strip the plug threads but normally the plug will blow out of the head when this happens.
You said you blew up the compressor, if the miss fire is electronic it should have nothing to do with it but if something was left in the intake or if you damaged the valves and or piston crown then the problem could be mechanical.
Scanning the code could help point you in the right direction.

06 MCS Royal Gray, MINI Fini Sportlink - Mostly Harmless
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 11:57am
I had the misfire of cylinder #1 code and they ended up replacing my head after several weeks of diagnosis. Turned out to be carbon deposit on the valve so it wouldn't close all the way...ended up with blow-by which cooked the head. I had other symptoms though as well like water in the oil, etc similar to headgasket symptoms. Steve you haven't had anything like that though right?
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 1:03pm
no oil in the water and visa versa.. well at last look there wasn't.. I get to investigate tonight..
I will post what I find out...
Thanks
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 1:03pm
Besides wires, there are other main causes of misfires.

1. Injector problems
2. fuel pressure problems
3. fuel combustion problems and ignition cut-off

the code should be P0301
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 1:04pm
and this just happens all by itself... nothing seems to trigger it..
BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 1:10pm
John..
I was thinking the same....
I do have the after market injectors (fiveomotorsports injectors) they have been fine so far.. I think!
I was having trouble getting the car around the corners at the track Friday, seemed like I did not have power after apexing... but that could have been my inexperience too...then it would come back... I did code at the track and thanks that is the Code # P0301..
hopefully it is not he head or head gasket...

Edited by BurnerS - May/06/10 at 1:11pm
BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 1:12pm
I will put my stock injectors back in for a while maybe!!
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 1:29pm
I am thinking that if it was valves or head it would be more consistent.

Do you have this book?http://www.bentleypublishers.com/mini/cooper-s/MINI-Cooper-Diagnosis-2002-2006.html

BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 1:37pm
It has not been consistant at all, and Yes John I have that book... I will be reviewing tonight!
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 1:47pm
Good luck, BTW Helix has 380 injectors on sale right now.

BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 1:48pm
Thanks John...  Are they any better than fivemotorsports?
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 1:56pm
Five O motor sports injectors are drilled out to get the cc volume, helix , RMW, Outmotoring, Way and most of the others sell Siemens and Bosch which are not drilled out .

Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 2:01pm
BurnerS, sorry to hear about the misfire. John's correct, a variety of items could be the cause or contributing factors to the code.

What type of scan tool do you have? If your scaning device has a freeze frame, read out all the information it gives you. That information will tell you more detail regarding when the code was triggered.

It gives you RPM, throttle position and ton's of other info.

Hope you get this resolved. You might even consider resetting the code and triggering it again to compare freeze frame information.

Let me know if you want to use my scan gauge. It records freeze frame info.

Cheers!
07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 2:22pm
Thanks John... I knew that going in and was hoping it would not be an issue... hard say at this moment.. I guess I will look into the other  injectors and the prices... I see that the Helix ones are $319.. not bad..
 There goes the track tires LOL

Boomer: I have a OBMII reader not a scan tool.. it just gives me the Code.. if I cannot firgure this out I would love to borrow you scan tool...   so far this code has happened at 30 miles and hour, 70 mph and 50 mph...so I feel like it will be one of those pain in the Ass issues...

Edited by BurnerS - May/06/10 at 2:26pm
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 3:31pm
BurnerS, shoot me a PM with your email.

We'll arrange a time for you to come over and pick up the scan gauge. I run it full time in the Mini but have an extra OBDII connector so your welcome to use it for a couple of days till you figure out what up.

Cheers!
07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 7:08pm
So after a little investigation.. I found this

But it looks like 3 fault Codes..

P0301 - Misfire # 1 cylinder

P0313 - Misfire detected w Low fuel #1

P0201 - Injector circuit Open #1

seems like the #1 injector is missing once in a while..

So I reseated #1 injector and we wil lsee how that hangs..
I also tested the plug wire, it was good..
Removed the plug, and reinserted...
Could be all it takes.. LOL

Edited by BurnerS - May/06/10 at 7:09pm
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 7:40pm
Those codes sound just like the step by step thngs that the ecu does when a misfire is detected. So the question would be why did you exceed your 3% per 2000 rpm allowable, it I understood the book right.

What plugs did you use?

John

BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 8:12pm
I am using NGK 2f6l or something.. sorry I just looked at them and forgot the numbers
basicaly they are one step colder plugs.. I think!!

there was some other info on the DTC..
Fuel Sys 1 = OL fault
Fuel Sys 2 = CL fault
Cal Load % = 84.31
ECT % = 192
STFT BL % = 0.00
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 8:49pm
Might check the gap. I know there was a mis problems at higher rpms and the brisk plugs fixed that for those having that issue.

BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 9:07pm
Thank you John.. I will check that tomorrow..
Any idea off the top of your head to what the gap is supposed to be?
I will look it up later..
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 9:32pm
Not off the top of my head, I will check to night when I get
home and post what some of the other have gapped the NGKs at.

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 10:02pm
The codes sure sound like an injector fault.  Try moving the injector to another position and if you get the codes again, see if the problem moved.  One injector might be better that a set in terms of cost. 

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/10 at 12:47am
The plug you should have should be a NGK BKR7Equp if you have done the 15% and the injectors. These are a no gap plug. BKR7EIX would be the gaping kind, gaped at .035.

http://www.psmini.org/forum/sparkplug-replacement-gap_topic3345_post36246.html?KW=plugs#36246

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/48386-denso-or-ngk-plugs.html

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/170408-p0302-cylinder-2-misfire.html

Okay that is enough of that.

My suggestion is figure out what plug up have and if they are the gaping kind make sure they aren't toast and gaped right. I would go get a set of Equp's, then if you misfire again do what Pat suggested and swap the injectors and if the problem follows you got your answer. Good call Pat I forgot about that. You might also check your plug wire to make sure they are good.

Off topic is John P still out there haven't heard from him in a long time.

John

BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/10 at 7:40am
So.. Pretty sure I don't have those plugs.... I do have NGK Iridiums but not those.. I will fix that first!
as far as what has been done..
15%
Injectors 380
CAI
Exhaust LOL
CAM RMW
Jan Tune, prior to injectors and CAM...

oh and a used SuperCharger from 05 Cooper S (not a MOD, the old one broke)

Thanks Pat, I removed the injector last night reseated... so far today nothing..
so first, I will get the right plugs, then I will switch the #1 injector if problem continues...

I am so glad you guys are out there!! thank you!! Clap
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/10 at 10:11am
No Problem, hopefully it is something simple.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/10 at 1:55am
Any News Here??

BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/10 at 8:06am
No news yet.. I am going out to find the plugs today..  no more codes anyways..
I will update as I go along!! 

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>