FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWild Horse Windfarm - August 28th - Event Date: August/28/10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Wild Horse Windfarm - August 28th
    Posted: June/11/10 at 7:43am

UPDATE: This trip is now official! See the fourth post of this thread for details and a list of participants.

Has the club ever done a drive to Wild Horse Windfarm in Kittitas?

This was a thought that popped into my head a few days back (when we had a glimmer of sunshine that made me want to be behind the wheel), but being new to the club I wasnt sure if this had been done before.

I know they have a visitor center which is located near the center of the farm and, while I would need to look into it further, it is likely there is a guided tour that would allow you to see some wind turbines up close.  I was there once before prior to the visitor center being completed at it was lots of fun!  Plus, the roads around there are perfect for some "spirited" driving. 

Just a thought.

-Cobalt

Edited by Cobalt - June/16/10 at 7:15am
Cobalt - 2008 MCS Lightning Blue/Silver, JCW Suspension & intake, OZ Ultraleggera wheels, NM Eng strut brace & SS brake lines, Black Jack mirror caps & sunroof graphic, custom Black Jack side vinyls.
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/10 at 7:52am
Plan it..and they will come! Go for it. Sounds like fun to me! :)
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/10 at 9:30am
sounds good!  there are some really nice roads out there!!
New 2013 Clubby S - JCW Engine tune - JCW Brake Kit - JCW Exhaust - JCW Cold Air Intake - Lowered - Racing Wheels
Cobalt View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/10 at 11:38am

Okay, so it looks like there may be some interest among members of the club to visit Wild Horse Wind Farm.  Even though I am a noob I will try and set this up so let the planning begin!

Here are the details I have thus far:

Event:  MINIs Ride Like the Wind  (A Trip to Wild Horse Wind Farm)

Location:  The Wind Farm is located between Ellensburg and Vantage along Vantage Highway

Participants:  I would like to get an official list of who will be going on this trip.  I know quite a few of you have replied to this tread but not everyone has difinitively committed to going.  Those of you who have expressed interest but have not officially said "yay" or "nay" will appear in italics with the word "tentative" next to their nick.  Please reply to this thread whenever you get the chance to confirm if you will be coming along.  Confirmed attendees are in bold.  If I have any of you listed incorrectly please let me know.

Cobalt  (1) (Organizer)
Wildfamily (3)
BurnerS (2)
Soggy-1 (2)
johnf36 (tentative)
catlvr2 (2)
Hapa Haole (2) 
MINIRVA
tyintegra (2)
minicommittee (tentative)
MiniCharley (4)
beanybb (tentative)
It's-a-MINI! (2)
Dizzy_Jenny (1)
THRLRYD (2)
swhobbit (2)
drnick (4) (2x MINIs)
Silver_Surfer (2) (tentative)
Tina2009 (1) (tentative)
Slyderone (2)
Dave's not here (...but he will be there Tongue)
Speeddemon150 (3)
valvashon (3)
garumph (2)
Chili Mama & Chili Papa (3)
cheetah (tentative)
italianjob (2)
Scott (2) (MiniCharley's friends)
GIR (2) (In his temporary non MINI)
Speeddemon150 (3) (2x MINIs)
Grape Ape (2)
AMINIAC (2)
tvstrategies
ywang18
refractured
mymagic (2)

TOTAL MINIs = 30
TOTAL Participants =  ~62

Description:  An opportunity for PS MINI club members to spend the day touring Wild Horse Wind Farm in Kittitas County.  This tour includes time at the wind farm visitor center where you can learn the details of wind power and facts about the wind turbines installed on the site.  (If our group is large enough we can have a conference room reserved at the wind farm where we will be given a detailed presentation about wind and solar energy by one of the plant managers.)  As part of the tour you will also be taken to the base of one of the turbines where you will be allowed to go in the access hatch and see what it looks like inside! 

Visitor center hours are from 9am to 5:30pm with tours running from 10am to 2pm.

After the tour at the Wind Farm is complete, we can drive on to Vantage for lunch.  (I am not very familiar with the area but a quick web search shows there are plenty of diners and small restaurants around the area.  If someone knows a particularly good place to eat definitely let me know.)

Cost:  Zip. Zero. Nada.  The tour is free!  If you want lunch after the tour you will have to pay for yourself.

Date:  Saturday August 28th, 2010, departing from Krispy Kreme parking lot in Issaquah at 9am!  This means we will be meeting up in the parking lot at 8:30am!

(UPDATE 7/19:  Looking at the map I am thinking we will only make one pit stop at the rest area about 5.5 miles outside of Cle Elum for a 25-30min break before continuing on.) 
For those of you who dont know how to get to the Issaquah Krispy Kreme doughnut shop: 
From Eastbound I-90, take Exit 17 for Front St., turn left onto Front St. and continue onto East Lk Sammamish Pkwy SE.  Stay on East Lk Sammamish Pkwy SE and turn right into the parking lot at SE 62nd St.

From Westbound I-90, take Exit 17 for Front St./East Lk Sammamish Pkwy SE, keep right to merge onto East Lk Sammamish Pkwy SE.  Stay on East Lk Sammamish Pkwy SE and turn right into the parking lot at SE 62nd St.
 That is the gist of the trip.  Once again, everything is still very much up in the air at this point as I want to see if there is truly enough interest among members to make the trip worthwhile.  If we can get a group of around 15 to 20 people (not necessarily 15-20 MINI's but the more the merrier Thumbs Up), we will definitely be able to reserve the conference room for the wind energy presentation so that is what I would like to shoot for.  I also need to figure out a good for everyone to meet prior to leaving (likely Issaqah) but I'll worry about that minor detail if this trip gets beyond the planning stages.

Questions, comments, suggestions please let me know.  This is my first time attemptiong to orchestrate an event such as this so I am open to suggestions especially if you know any interesting roads we could drive on the way to or from.

-Cobalt

Edited by Cobalt - August/27/10 at 7:40pm
Cobalt - 2008 MCS Lightning Blue/Silver, JCW Suspension & intake, OZ Ultraleggera wheels, NM Eng strut brace & SS brake lines, Black Jack mirror caps & sunroof graphic, custom Black Jack side vinyls.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/10 at 11:55am
That is a good idea!

S.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/10 at 12:48pm
 I believe Jack took everyone through there coming over for the dam run last year. That is part of the old highway.Should added great Idea, I need to see where we will be but count us as possible.

John

Edited by johnf36 - June/11/10 at 12:52pm
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/10 at 3:32pm
I like the idea!  Sounds like fun.  You'll be up for an official cat herder badge after a drive like that.  Good work!Clap
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
chesney View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/10 at 5:36pm
We would probably be up for that

Muadhnat 09 Laser blue Clubman S, cold weather, iPod adaptor

Meadghbh(Maeve) 2009 Cooper S Clubman Laser Blue/Black Cold and Premium Pkgs
Crikket View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member

PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/10 at 5:52pm
We are always up for a trip to Ellensburg and beyond.  We're interested and available.  WooHoo
Glen & Linda - 07 MCS, PW, lounge, oak, all packages, bright turned R105s, carbon fiber.   
Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/10 at 12:37pm
This sounds like a fun drive.  I'd be game if it's on Sunday, August 8th (I work the 7th). Big smile
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
Cobalt View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/10 at 12:02am
Wow, I am very happy there is such interest in this drive! 

I definitely need to set a difinitive date so we can find out who can come and who cannot.  Unfortunately, it has come to my attention that the weekend of August 7th and 8th is Seafair.  Since I wouldnt want anyone to miss out on all the fun seeing the hydros and the Blue Angels, I think the offical date should be either Saturday August 28th or Sunday the 29th.  (I would have opted for the week of the 21st and 22nd but I didnt want to conflict with the PS MINI picnic.)  My apologies for this change but, like I said in the post above detailing the trip, the official date was still up in the air.

I'd like to nail down which one of these two days (the 28th or 29th) would work best for the trip as soon as possible so, if you would like to go to the wind farm and have a preference for either Saturday or Sunday please let me know!  Hopefully ensuring the trip does not conflict with the Seafair festivities will encourage other members to participate!

-Cobalt

Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/10 at 12:30am
As far as I can tell from my current calendar, August 28 or 29 works for me. Smile
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/10 at 5:08am
The 28th or 29th work for us as wellThumbs Up

S&L

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Crikket View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member

PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/10 at 7:53am
We are available either day.   Big smile
Glen & Linda - 07 MCS, PW, lounge, oak, all packages, bright turned R105s, carbon fiber.   
catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/10 at 10:06am
We should be available either day, but I always will opt for Saturday so I can get my laundry done on Sunday before going back to work!  LOL
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
Saphire View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/10 at 6:32pm
Donna and Les have plans for the 29th, but would join you if it is on the 28th.   Thank you.
Cobalt View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/10 at 7:49pm
Hey everyone!  Well I paid a visit to the wind farm today and I have some additional details regarding the trip.  Apparently we will be permitted to drive our cars along the paved road leading up to the visitor center which offers some pretty spectacular views of the Kitittas area and the Cascades.  While paved this road is not exactly the smoothest so those of you with lowered MINIs or stiff suspensions may be in for a bumpy ride the last few minutes of the trip. 

There is a large gravel parking lot at the visitor center that should be suitable for a fair number of MINI's to be arranged for a panaramic shot with the wind turbines and Kitittas valley in the background if any of you interested in getting some group shots.  Additionally the turbine that we will be allowed to enter is within walking distance of the parking lot/visitor center area on a realtively flat gravel surface so, while you wont be trudging up steep hills, it would be best if you dont wear heels or nice shoes that could get scuffed up.

As far as lunch is concerned, the eateries in downtown Kittitas are small and not necessarily well equipped to handle decent-sized groups.  Vantage is likely our best bet and I am thinking it might be easiest if we let everyone take their pick of where they want to eat from the local offerings when we arrive in Vantage.

Based on popular demand, I think this trip should take place Saturday August 28th, 2010.

Lastly, since this is meant to be a convoy-style drive similar to what was done on the way to Stonehenge (at least I think it was...I only looked at the pictures since I wasnt part of that trip) I think the easiest place to meet would be somewhere everyone has likely been before and that is the XXX Root Beer parking lot.  Since the drive to the wind farm is a little over two hours from Issaquah I would like to settle on a time that everyone would find acceptable.  I am thinking we could meet 8:30 or 9am.  Please weigh in on this especially if you would be coming from a long distance!!  My thinking was that leaving at this time would allow us to reach the wind farm, spend time on the tour taking in the sights for a fair amount of time and eat lunch at a decent hour.

Lastly I have updated the post of trip details (4th post of this thread) with the above information and included a list of participants shown by their PS MINI nickname.  If you would like to be added to the list please let me know.  Once again, a group of around 20 people will allow us to get the most detailed tour.

Thanks for all the responses everyone, I love the enthusiasm!

-Cobalt

Edited by Cobalt - June/14/10 at 8:18pm
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/10 at 8:09pm
We have Saturday August 28 inked onto the calendar for my wife and meApprove

Stephen & Lee

Edited by Soggy-1 - June/14/10 at 8:10pm
Cobalt View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/10 at 9:49pm

Awesome Soggy-1, look forward to meeting you in person!

Also thank you Wildfamily for moving this thread to the official "Get Togethers" section!

-Cobalt
BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/10 at 11:36am
The only thing that comes to mind is the starting point on this side... XXX might have a car show that morning and we would have nowhere to park, has anyone checked the XXX calendar for events?
New 2013 Clubby S - JCW Engine tune - JCW Brake Kit - JCW Exhaust - JCW Cold Air Intake - Lowered - Racing Wheels
Cobalt View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/10 at 12:19pm
Very good point BurnerS, thank you for bringing this up! 

According to the calendar on the website for XXX Root Beer, there is an event scheduled for Sunday the 29th but nothing is listed for the 28th.  Most, if not all, of the events there are scheduled on Sundays throughout the year so I think we will be okay.  There is also an open lot across the street from XXX that would work fine as a meeting place as well should something be going on at the diner that day.
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/10 at 2:24pm
How about Krispy Kreme...just on the other side of I-90? Coffee and donuts alwasy good to start a roadtrip! 

Edited by Wildfamily - June/15/10 at 2:25pm
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/10 at 2:27pm
That is a good yummy suggestion!

S.

Cobalt View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/10 at 2:31pm

Funny you mention that, I was thinking a breakfast/coffee place would be an even better starting point especially considering we would be leaving early in the morning.  The only reason I picked XXX was because I know quite a few members have been there before.  I have revised the trip details to reflect this including directions to Krispy Kreme for those who may not know how to get there.  Thanks for the suggestion Wildfamily!

The good thing about Krispy Kreme is that it is in a huge parking lot and there is a Starbucks nearby too so you can get both a doughnut a coffee fix before you leave!
Crikket View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member

PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/10 at 6:29pm
For those of us coming from the south, would it be possible to schedule a meet-up location in North Bend?  Smile
Cobalt View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/10 at 7:17am
Hello Crikket!  I am sure we can figure something out.  I am not all that familliar with the North Bend area.  The only good landmark I know of is the outlet mall just off of the freeway.  If that works we can meet up with you and anyone else coming from the south end there before we head up the pass towards Kittitas.  If you have another place in mind dont hesitiate to let me know!
tyintegra View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/10 at 11:19am
I believe that we can attend this one.

Put me down as a tentative for now
"Do these stripes make me look fast?"

- 2006 Cooper S (ACTL SZ plates), Red w/ white top, White Bonnet Stripes, Sun roof, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package, Premium Package, checkered mirror
Cobalt View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/10 at 11:33am
tyintegra, I have added you to the list as tentative.  Hope you will be able to join us!
minicommittee View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/10 at 9:38pm
We will have to evaluate at a late date whether or not we can join...as we will be getting back from a whole week in Las Vegas the weekend prior!
 Faint
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/10 at 6:10am
Soggy-1 and spouse will be there, barring any medical emergencies and Mini failuresApprove

S.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>