Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

passenger door lock not locking/unlocking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy_Jenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: passenger door lock not locking/unlocking
    Posted: September/14/10 at 9:02pm
our friend thought he had to pull up the lock to get out and pulled the cap off, i put it back on afterwards, but about a week later, now its being a stinkbug.  any ideas? or will i need to have it looked at by seattle mini? going tomorrow for an oil pan replacement (ow), but this may need to wait depending on how spendy it is!

thanks!!

jenny
Jenny and Jared

03/MCS/Dark Silver/White Top/White Sport Stripes... otherwise known as Stella :)
Escape Pod View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Escape Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/10 at 9:16pm

Can't help on the door lock issue, but don't forget to mention your PSMINI membership at Seattle MINI - they give our paid members a 10% discount on both parts and labor!  (Bring your membership card with you if you remember) Hopefully that will at least help on the oil pan replacement...

Roy & Beth Morey
Red/Blk JCW Roadster (His)
Silver/Red JCW Coupe (Hers)
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/10 at 12:06am
Jenny I am not sure what your problem is, just what is going on?? does something keep falling off or will the door not unlock?
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

LMNCELO View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMNCELO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/10 at 1:41pm
Sorry, I'm no help on your concern, but close to the same subject, a few weeks ago my key/remote quit unlocking the drivers door.  Works fine on locking all the doors, and works fine on unlocking the trunk and passanger door, but I have to manually unlock the drivers door every time.  All the same for all the keys.  Seattle MINI wants $118 to check it out, before I do that I'm just wondering if there are any door/lock experts out there or any other opinions.
Gretchen and LMNCELO: 2005 liquid yellow MCS convertible
Dizzy_Jenny View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy_Jenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/10 at 2:38pm
Boo!  Raychel at Seattle Mini says that it is the accentuator (sp?) or something like that?  Essentially the electronic locking system isn't locking in the door and would run $400 or so to fix.  That lock doesn't go into the lock position after a certain MPH and doesn't lock/unlock with the key.  So I will be doing it the old fashioned way for a while, lol Tongue
Jenny and Jared

03/MCS/Dark Silver/White Top/White Sport Stripes... otherwise known as Stella :)
Zippy View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/10 at 5:24am
Originally posted by LMNCELO LMNCELO wrote:

Sorry, I'm no help on your concern, but close to the same subject, a few weeks ago my key/remote quit unlocking the drivers door.  Works fine on locking all the doors, and works fine on unlocking the trunk and passanger door, but I have to manually unlock the drivers door every time.  All the same for all the keys.  Seattle MINI wants $118 to check it out, before I do that I'm just wondering if there are any door/lock experts out there or any other opinions.

- You will need to remove the door panel to determine what came loose.
Does that door make the unlock sound but not unlock? If so then the linkage came apart.
If there is no noise from the door, then it might be electrical.
06 MCS Royal Gray, MINI Fini Sportlink - Mostly Harmless
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/10 at 3:24pm
This is a relatively common problem.  The only thing on my driver's side door that works is the lock function when I use the button on the key.  No unlock, and no lock from the toggle switch.  My guess is the actuator is bad since I didn't see any linkage that had fallen off.  I just need to finish pulling the door apart and getting a long hex key to undo the bolts inside the door- those are hex not torx.  

Maybe we need an actuator party!

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/10 at 1:30pm
Mine only had a cable clamp pop loose casing the whole thing not to work right. Here is what it looks like for those that haven't seen the unit.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Dizzy_Jenny View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy_Jenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/10 at 2:30pm
thanks john!
Jenny and Jared

Post Reply Post Reply