Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wanted to borrow: H&R shock height adjuster wrench
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wanted to borrow: H&R shock height adjuster wrench

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wanted to borrow: H&R shock height adjuster wrench
    Posted: December/01/10 at 12:11pm
Hi. I got a used set of H&R coilovers but they didn't come with the height adjusting wrenches. Does anyone in the bothell/woodinville/kenmorw/Kirkland area have a set that I could buy, borrow or steal?

Thanks,
BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/10 at 12:36pm
Dude..I think I still have the ones from my Megans... you can have them if they fit...
New 2013 Clubby S - JCW Engine tune - JCW Brake Kit - JCW Exhaust - JCW Cold Air Intake - Lowered - Racing Wheels
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/10 at 1:00pm
Possibly awesome. Could you take a picture of them sitting next to a tape measure so I can figure out if they would fit? 

Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/10 at 2:01pm
I have a set Kurt if you need to borrow them.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/10 at 9:40pm
Steve, you're closer so I think I'll try yours first. Please let me know when I could swing up to pick them up. Or... if you are near Bothell/Canyon Park, let me know and we could meet up around here somewhere. 

Martin, you're Plan B. 

Thanks guys! 

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/10 at 9:10am
I saw Martin at the King5 News thing at Seattle MINI. He had the tools in his boot so I am borrowing from him. 
I might still want Steve's tools if he's willing to give them away and they are the right size. Next track meet or something. 

Thanks Martin! 

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/10 at 9:23pm
Ok, I got the coilovers installed. These used shocks are in terrible shape. 
They seem to have come from a car that drove in salted roads all year round. 

First, the height adjustment wheels for the rear shocks are seized, which means I can't adjust the height. It also made it a real b*tch to install the spring. My spring compression tool couldn't compress it enough. I used ratchet tiedown straps. (Yeah, probably dangerous.) 
The front struts were seized too but I could break them free with an air hammer and lots of penetrating oil. 

OK, so I finally got them installed and they look great... but the rear shocks are totally shot. They make a horrible clunking sound whenever I hit a bump. The car also feels unsettled under acceleration. 

Looks like I need to invest in a new (or newer) set... :-( 

Martin - I can return your tools now. Thanks. I'll give them to you at the Xmas party next week! 

Here's what the car looks like for now... 

(Oh, I got my Motegi SP10 rims. I like them! noticeably lighter. Car feels like it has more power even though it doesn't!) 

kenru View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/10 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

(Oh, I got my Motegi SP10 rims. I like them! noticeably lighter. Car feels like it has more power even though it doesn't!)

It's amazing how much difference  reducing unsprung weight can make, isn't it!  I have my winter tires on stock rims and summer/track tires on Motegi Track Lites.  Big difference in feel between the two...
One good turn deserves another...and another...

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/10 at 10:09pm
Yes it is amazing. I can now understand how the REALLY lightweight rims can justify their higher cost. 
(Still, I only paid $115 each for these wheels that weigh 16.5 pounds each.)

Another thing I notice is less rolling resistance. I have a habit of sometimes waiting at stoplights without my foot on the brake and the car would stay in place. I am noticing that it rolls more easily so I need to keep my foot on the brake. 

Edited by CORNERS - December/04/10 at 10:12pm
kenru View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/10 at 10:14pm
The forged rims are both stronger AND lighter (AND more expensive)...
One good turn deserves another...and another...

Post Reply Post Reply