Forum Home Forum Home > Events > Events Archives > Drive / Events Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTech Session at NW Mini - January 15 - Event Date: January/15/11

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Tech Session at NW Mini - January 15
    Posted: January/01/11 at 8:50pm
ATTENDEES
Catlvr2  (2)
Sanderskog
Corners
Ginainbelltown
Dave's not here
Karin
MSL
Boomer
Ferari
Searocko
It's-a-Mini (2)
Hapa Haole
SMOG-1 (2)
Kenru
Supercoop

I was talking to the Service Manager at NW Mini about modified cars and philosophical changes regarding the approach to warranty coverages between Gen1 and Gen2 cars.  This led to other topics, so I asked if he would be interested in hosting a tech session.  He said SURE! and off we go.

An old Porsche Club buddy and I have dug up some stuff to talk about, and want to know if anybody has questions about the cars that could be a subject.

So far, we're thinking about breaking this into two parts.  One part will be stuff the service guys can answer like the following:

Alignment
* How often should I do this?
* What is adjustable?
* What causes alignments to change?

What is the thinking behind no changes for
* Trans fluid
* Fuel filter
(and really - when SHOULD we change them?)

What Mods will affect warranty/service coverage on Gen2 cars? Why was there a change in thinking from the Gen1 cars?

Will the dealer install mods?

The second part will be a discussion regarding modifications -  how do you start, and what should you do first.  My thinking here is that people should consider what they want out of the car, and understand that some, if not most mods come with some drawbacks that might add some unpleasantness.  What level of compromise would you accept?  Would you do solid bushings in your droplinks if you knew the level of rattling that would be transmitted to the passenger compartment? 

I hope to have a couple of volunteers bring their cars to show off some of what they have done.  Kenru, Boomer, Brenda, Kurt (Corners) and SeaTacTom with his water cooled intercooler would all be good examples.

Let me know if you can come - I haven't nailed down the time yet with Steve (I'm thinking 10:30?), but he said something about lunch, so I should give him a headcount.

Fair warning - I have also invited members from the South club.  I'm thinking we need to start winding down the difficulties between the clubs so that we can all benefit.  Wouldn't it have been nice to have added another 15 or 20 cars to the NW Harvest food drive?  Same with the Winged Victory Rally.  New Year, new starts.  Lets go for it.

Anyway, let me know if there are questions or suggestions.  Also, let me know if you have an unusual modification that we can discuss, and if you would be willing to show it off in the shop.

Pat

Edited by onramp - January/06/11 at 8:15pm
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/11 at 8:53pm
Oh - I forgot - another subject could be some discussion regarding what BMW/Mini is thinking about the ethanol in fuel. 

Other thoughts/questions?
Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/11 at 9:39pm
Larry and I plan on coming
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
Sanderskog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/11 at 9:48pm
The topics you have listed sound great Pat.  Selfishly I'm really interested in the warranty discussion as there are are number of modifications I'd like to make but not if it's going to void my warranty.

As for inviting South Club, love the idea.  Having just returned to the MINI world I feel a bit like a child in a divorce between two parents.  I refuse to choose! Tongue

Todd
2012 VW Golf Pirate Edition... Aarrr! - JACK

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/11 at 10:17pm
I'd love to come listen to the various topics and show CORNERS/talk about the mods. The time sounds good and I think I can get wife permission.

I'm new to the club so I don't know anything about difficulties with the "South" club -- so anything is fine for me. 

Other potentially interesting topics: 
-Oil changes-15500 miles - really? 
-Camshafts
-Brake fluid - this would be a good venue to explain/remind importance of changing this stuff
-Coolant - when is this recommended to be changed
-Seafoam - should we use or avoid?
-Exactly what dealer programmable options are there for the Gen1 MINIs. A few are mentioned in my instruction manual but it seems there could be more. 

Edited by CORNERS - January/01/11 at 10:18pm
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/11 at 4:40am
Originally posted by onramp onramp wrote:

Oh - I forgot - another subject could be some discussion regarding what BMW/Mini is thinking about the ethanol in fuel. 

Other thoughts/questions?
Pat

This is of particular interest to me.  I hope I can get my exhaust situation rectified by then.

S.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/11 at 7:43am
John - can you come over and show off all of the things you have done?  Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/11 at 8:34am

John - can you come over and show off all of the things you have done?  Pat

Thumbs Up

WaveWave

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/11 at 9:54am
Todd, I know what you mean about feeling like the child of divorced parents!  Wink
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
DneprDave View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DneprDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/11 at 10:15am
What "South" Club? Do you mean Portland?

I'd love to attend, but January 15 is impossible for me. I'll look forward to answers to the great questions already listed. I hope they will be posted here.

Dave
Chili red/ Black roof 2010 Clubman S automatic transmission.

Shadetree mechanic
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/11 at 10:18am
Originally posted by DneprDave DneprDave wrote:

What "South" Club? Do you mean Portland?

I'd love to attend, but January 15 is impossible for me. I'll look forward to answers to the great questions already listed. I hope they will be posted here.

Dave

The reference is to SS Mini (Salish Sea Mini).

S.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
ginainbelltown View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginainbelltown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/11 at 1:39pm

Count me in on this one!  And I agree, let's make the SS Mini people feel welcome.   I'm tired of the "divorced parents" too.

Forget my past; it is my checkered present you need to worry about!

2013 MCS/ Red, White & Checkerboard /CHECKRD
Dave's not here View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave's not here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/11 at 2:31pm
20 minutes away, I think I can make this one.  See everybody there.  The issues mentioned sound like something useful to know about.  As always, should be interesting.
5 race wins, 2 in the rain. 2nd in ICSCC G Production Championship 2005 and 2006. Now I'm just gonna drive the MINI.
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/11 at 3:10pm
Some times divorces happen for very good reasons...

Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/11 at 3:51pm

OK, last thing I want to do is take this thread sideways so I'd like to stick the worms back in the can Wink

Back on topic.

I may need to bring one of the kids with me.  Is that allowed?  It's unclear to me if this is to occur in the shop or ??? and I'd assume they don't want kids in the shop.
Todd

Edited by Sanderskog - January/02/11 at 3:52pm

LIVESTRONG
TWIZZLR View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert
PSMINI Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWIZZLR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/11 at 4:39pm
I am interested in this. However, I may be guilty of scanning instead of reading but I don't see a time on this. The date is the 15th of Jan.

Time please.
Thanks 
Karin

Karin & Karen

11 JCW Midnight Blk Roof Caps All pkgs, Aero
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/11 at 8:56pm
I agree, Jack - that divorce needed to happen.  I think a lot of folk are still shocked by the levels of bitterness and spite.  Nobody is getting remarried I would think.  Doesn't mean that the kids that went with whatever parent can't play well together.  Time to move on.

Todd, how old is your kid.  The shop is probably where things will be held, but if you have a budding gearhead, I think he/she will be OK.  But if he/she is like my two youngest G-kids where sitting beyond 10 minutes is impossible, maybe no.  I will check with Steve to see if he has any concerns.

Karin, no time has been set yet - we were thinking around 10:30, but I had been waiting to see how many topics.  I will confer with Steve tomorrow regarding his thoughts on start time and how much time we might need for various subjects.  For now - 10:30 or 11:00.  BTW - when you got the JCW, did you keep your other Mini?

Pat

2006 Hyper Blue JCW
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/11 at 9:23pm
Pat - this sounds like a great session you and NW MINI are putting together and I hope it gets a good turn out.
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/11 at 9:28pm
Wife is busy this day so it looks like I'll need to bring my kids as well (and techniques to keep them quiet when quiet is needed). 

What happened with PSMINI and SSMINI? Why the 'divorce'? What happened? (I hope it's not taboo to ask this.) 
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/11 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

Wife is busy this day so it looks like I'll need to bring my kids as well (and techniques to keep them quiet when quiet is needed). 

What happened with PSMINI and SSMINI? Why the 'divorce'? What happened? (I hope it's not taboo to ask this.) 

No problems Kurt just not the proper place to discuss it in the middle of Pat's post.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

MSL View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/11 at 11:31pm
Hi all, just down the street myself so I'll likely drop by.  As I have an 07 MCS with only 18K miles, I'm particulary curious about this whole valve deposit mess secondary to the direct injection situation.
After many years of BMW's, I have tolerated many goofy policy's but I don't think I'm ready to put-up with this "SeaFoam" approach to a "known" problem.  I have about 6-7 months warranty left with great local service so far but I'm wondering what others might have to say about their experience.

Cheers,

Mark
07 MCS 6sp, SS/B Tuscan Beige/Piano black
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/11 at 12:57am
Go for the sea foam, there is a nether way to fix it . Ermm
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/11 at 8:08am
Pat, great idea!  I'll be there, but later, say 11:00 or 11:30.

Should be plenty to discuss and always interested to hear what's new with solutions to common problems with our Mini's.

Cheers!

07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
TWIZZLR View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert
PSMINI Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWIZZLR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/11 at 11:29am

... BTW - when you got the JCW, did you keep your other Mini?

Pat

No we traded 4lfclvr. We were going to do some mods to 4lfclvr and when we did the math and saw this one that had everything that we were going to do, we decided to move up.  4lfclvr will be a very good car for someone. It will serve someone well.

Karin
Karin & Karen

11 JCW Midnight Blk Roof Caps All pkgs, Aero
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/11 at 5:31pm
So Pat, is this definitely happening? Any word on whether kids are reasonably welcome? 
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/11 at 5:55pm
This is definitely happening.  No word back from Steve on kids or time.  I am getting a coolant flush on Thursday and will talk with Steve then if I don't hear before, but for now plan on a start time of 11:00
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/11 at 7:07pm
Hey this is right down the road from me. Count me in!
Larry

2005 JB/W MCS:RMW Tuned 215hp/187tq,cam|TSW x-brace|Cross Coilovers w/Swift Springs|OZ Alleggerita|Direzza|Scorpion Exh|etc.
It's-a-MINI! View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote It's-a-MINI! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/11 at 7:36pm
We're plannig to attend, there is always something to learn.

Bobbe & Pat

2010 JCW Interchange Yellow Convertible, all packages, Nav,lounge leather,rally lights,park control, Xenon,19mm sway bar.

Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/11 at 5:57pm
Count me in!  Big smile

Edited by Hapa Haole - January/05/11 at 6:00pm
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/11 at 5:59pm
B:

We will be there for support as well as the info!

S&L

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>