Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Shopping Mall > Online Finds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xenon R53

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xenon R53
    Posted: January/28/11 at 1:28pm
So yesterday I was worming up the MINI and I discovered that one of the Xenon lights wasn't working. I checked the bulb and there was a looooooong crack on it.
I thought:"this is going to be expensive!"
I went to an auto part shop and I found the D2R bulb for $126.... and one other for $106.
Well, I was sure they were expensive but I wasn't prepared for $126. So after a looooong search on the internet I bought the same bulb on Amazoon for $15.99 + tax. Good news is: THEY ARE TWO OF THEM!

So if you are going to have the same problem just look up on Amazoon for a better deal.

I'll keep you updated on quality.

Stefano

PS
ShockedOne of my fog light doesn't work...Confused

(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/11 at 1:34pm
Do you have the link for the light on amazon?  That seems awfully cheap, even for Amazon!

Oh, and know that the "color" may be different from what you had stock, as there are different "temperatures" that they run at.
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/11 at 1:42pm
Here is the link

http://www.amazon.com/Zenex-4300K-Xenon-Bulb-White/dp/B001TAFBPY

Since they are two of them I am planing to change them both. I want to keep the old one as a spare in case of an "emergency"

Stefano

2013 GP

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/11 at 1:52pm
Cool! You can finance a supercharger pulley with the money you saved!

Also - I heard that you need to remove the bumper to replace the foglight bulb. Not hard to do fortunately. 

Edited by CORNERS - January/28/11 at 1:53pm
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/11 at 2:17pm
That's a good price!   Would you mind taking some before/during/after pics to compare the "color" of the new lights to the old ones?  

Sometimes I feel like my HID's aren't very bright, so I'm curious to see how the new bulb looks.
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/11 at 9:24pm
Kurt
Ill let you know if I get the pulley. As I told you I am trying to save some money but as far as I understood the pulley is a MUST. LOL

Jason
Ill take some pics and post them in here as soon as I get those bulbs.(3/5 days)

Stefano

2013 GP

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/11 at 9:49pm
Haha. It definitely seems to be a must, Judging the huge grin on John's (Slyderone) face the first time he accelerated the car, after we tempted fate and won the go-fast battle! 

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/11 at 1:39pm
Nice find, everyone with 05's and 06's you need a D2R, the D2S is for the earlier model 02 to 04.

Also those bulbs will be show more yellow like your high beams, this one has more of the blue look.
http://www.amazon.com/Zenex-6000K-Xenon-Diamond-White/dp/B001TAL9NC/ref=pd_sim_auto_1

This one should be real blue if not purple and real is not road legal.
http://www.amazon.com/Zenex-8000K-Xenon-Bulb-Iceberg/dp/B001TANB7Y/ref=pd_sim_auto_1
http://www.amazon.com/MAXLUX-Xenon-Bulb-10000K-Pair/dp/B002K68HWK/ref=pd_sim_auto_2

Try this for you earlier models
http://www.amazon.com/Kensun-Xenon-8000k-replacement-Iceberg/dp/B0032YZFJC/ref=pd_sim_auto_3

Edited by johnf36 - January/29/11 at 1:46pm
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/11 at 3:18pm
Good info!
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/11 at 9:06am
Also, here's a link to a color chart that shows roughly what color the different temperatures are.

http://www.delonixradar.com.au/images/HID_poster.jpg

Edited by SuperCoop - January/31/11 at 9:09am
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/11 at 7:16pm
Hello,
I finally got the new xenon bulbs today.

They are much brighter than the old one.

The left one is a little bit yellowish(old) and the right one is on more on the blueish side(new)
I couldn't take a better pic, sorry

Stefano

2013 GP

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/11 at 7:26pm
Much brighter? might be worth a buy! 

SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/11 at 7:36pm
Agreed Kurt...I see other xenon's and think that mine seem kind of dim.  After 64K miles and almost 6 years, maybe time to try an upgrade.  Especially for that price.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/11 at 7:11pm
Jason
you should!Wink

Stefano

2013 GP

SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/11 at 8:21pm
I'll take a look at'em!
Freeman View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/11 at 8:13am
Just ordered them. I have the habbit of touching the buld before I put it in. Then it lasts about 2 months and I buy another cheap replacement for about $5
Screamin Deamon Coil, MSD Wires, front strut bar, Weight reduction: carbon fiber hood, Honda emblem hanging from rear bumper
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/11 at 10:18am
Yeah, gotta make sure they're super clean =)
Doccyber View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doccyber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/11 at 8:58pm
Wow, you never changed yours 6 yrs... Man, I'm changing mine every yr.. And I paid $100+, I'll will try these for sure...
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/11 at 9:35pm
I don't know if mine have ever been changed, and I'm at 6 years.  So I'm going to do a HID fog light kit and replace the main bulbs at the same time.
 Post Reply Post Reply