Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Mods for R56?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chondro_84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Mods for R56?
    Posted: March/06/11 at 8:50pm
I saw the post on first mods reccomended for the R53 like the upgraded pulley and such, but what sould one upgrade first on the R56?  I am in the process of getting a new air intake/filter, but what would be a real performance booster right off?  I am totally new to Mini's, but I gotta say that I love them!  Thanks in advance for any help ya'll can give me.
-JTB 07 Silver MCS
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/11 at 1:25am
Rear swaybar is good investment out side of a tune.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/11 at 6:00am
Yep, swaybar is a good choice, as would be a Jan Tune if warranty is not an issue. 

Stephen

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
chondro_84 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chondro_84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/11 at 10:00am
The warranty is up in June/July... Oh, what is a Jan Tune?  Totally clue less.Confused
-JTB 07 Silver MCS
Zephyrgtw View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zephyrgtw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/11 at 12:15pm
Jan Tune = getting the most power out of your engine.
Jan owns Revolution Motor Works. He tunes Mini's, Porsche's, & BMW's (and has the podium finishes to prove he is the best):

Following is the 'products page' for the R56 on his web site:

He can up the 'smile quotient' on your car considerably! WooHoo
Black on Black JCW Clubman; Conv/Prem/Cold Pkgs; Xenon; Sport Stripes & Black-Jack Sun Roof; H-Sport RSB; H-Sport Adj. Control Arms; Alta End-Links; Forge IC; NM Eng. CAI; NM Eng. Springs
kenru View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/11 at 5:50pm
One good turn deserves another...and another...

Sanderskog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/11 at 6:52pm
Fully agree with Ken.

As for bolt on items.
  1. If you're game, dump the runflat tires if you haven't already.
  2. Rear swaybar and possibly end links.
  3. AccessPort and/or Jan tune (the AP comes with maps that Jan helped develop).
  4. Intake is great for noise but don't expect much of a horsepower gain on the R55/56. 
Exhause will give you great tone but you won't benefit without doing other things and it's quite pricey.

Welcome!

Todd
2012 VW Golf Pirate Edition... Aarrr! - JACK

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chondro_84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/11 at 7:49pm
Ok, thanks for all the suggestions!!  I will probably start with the Jan tune, and then upgrade the swaybar.   Should I change to iridium plugs as well after the tune?
-JTB 07 Silver MCS
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/11 at 8:38pm
Honestly, I'd do all the drivetrain modifications you want before the Jan tune.  He literally tunes each car individually to run at its optimum.  Adding parts after the tune will only change what you need from the tune.   Plus, Jan isn't up here but once a year, maybe (he is in CA).  Add to that the Jan tune is something like $500-600 plus dyno time so it's not a cheap "first" mod.

Todd

Edited by Sanderskog - March/07/11 at 8:39pm

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/11 at 8:20am
Kenru has it 100%----the best mod to make is with the DRIVER!

Get to know your abilities, your cars abilities and then determine what you believe will benefit both you and the car.

In terms of "hard parts" get those done before you get any ECU tune.

Parts to consider:

Cool air intake or just a high flow filter in the existing system. If you have a JCW you are pretty much good to go except for the filter.
Blow off valve: Why? Unless you want to make noise.
Boost tubes & other stuff: Bling IMHO.
FMIC, great bang for the buck.
Downpipe, only consider if you want every last ounce of power but be willing to live with codes. (Ask me how I know)
Exhaust, if you have a JCW, your good to go. Plenty of good systems on the market (see Smog's ordeal with a newer R56 & Milltek) you may also just want to talk to a good muffler shop & have one custom made for your car & your taste & your budget.
ECU tune: RMW/Jan has more experience with both R53 & R56 Mini's than anyone else out there.
Rear Sway: Personally not a fan, definately in the minority here but people seem to feel it makes a difference in the car's handling.
Chassis brace or X brace: big fan. Think it ties the car together better and improves overall responsiveness. Slight increase in noise.
Control Arms: not sure of the benefit on the R56. Get good alignment with stock arms.
Bushings: wait until they fail then consider going with polyurethane bushing. Be aware of noise & vibration issues.
Shocks/Springs: Depends on your budget and what you want to do. Look only= Springs. Better ride = Shocks & springs. Better overall performance including ride comfort: coilovers. This particular item can lead to pages & pages of discussion on the pro's & con's of each component and/or system. Read, Read, Read and then talk to a trusted professional you installs various systems and ask for their recomendations on what system would work for you given you goals.
Alignment: Best bang for the buck. The R56 JCW spec's are pretty good overall. That's what I used when I first made changes to my suspension. Then I went NUTS.
Tires: Critical part of the suspension. I like runflats. Turn in is great with the stiff side wall but there are other issues. Have to factor in your driving style, tolerance level for noise, wear/life, budget and tons of other considerations. Very personal decision.

Hope this helps but Kenru NAILED IT. Invest the mod money in YOURSELF.

Cheers!

07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/11 at 8:25am
Boomer:  Great advice!  I was especially pleased with the suggestion of the custom made exhaust.  Very possible and possibly way less expensive, even using big name mufflers.

Stephen

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/11 at 10:02am
Boomer - What have you noticed with the X-Brace?  I just missed one on NAM last week.

Todd

LIVESTRONG
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/11 at 1:58pm

Put this on a couple of years ago so it's tough to pinpoint the changes. Overall the chassis seems to be tied together better and initial turn in seems to be slightly crisper. Had this prior to a FSTB (front strut tower brace) and when it went on, didn't really notice any change on the street.

On the track, the car seems better PLANTED. Under braking, it's solid as a rock! Very predictable, responds well to throttle/brake input, trailing acceleration/braking initiates what you'd expect. When the FSTB went on, threshold braking was even better. Car just seemed to say OK, I got it, and when coming off the brakes car seemed to be easier to dial in the turn. Really attribute this to X brace but it became better with the FTSB.

If your not going to track the car, don't bother. Get a FSTB and call it good. Mini's chassis is plenty stiff but when you are tossing the little beast around, give it some help & she'll pay you back four fold!

Cheers!
07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/11 at 9:35am
One thing I've not seen is the suggestion of the strut tower brace up front. I already had the stiffer rear sway with the sport suspension and noticed a difference, even on the street, from the JCW strut brace. No need to use the JCW, there are plenty of aftermarket parts. But, it's cheap and did tighten the car in a turn. I may go stiffer rear sway at some point as my steering feels a little too neutral at this point.

Do you have an auto or manual transmission?
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chondro_84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/11 at 5:54pm
Thanks for all the suggestions!!  And its an auto.
-JTB 07 Silver MCS
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/11 at 7:17pm
The sport suspension on my 2011 MCSa has a rear sway bar that measures 18.5mm. I changed it to 22mm. I ordered the Mini with the JCW tower brace. Me being the operator of this little beast is the weakest link!

I love the automatic

S.
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/11 at 11:38pm
Quick word of advice about the automatic. The JCW tuning kit reprograms the ECU changing the throttle response and shift points in the auto. It's not as aggressive as Sport mode but it matches well with the extra power at the lower end. Only the JCW wizards can do this type of programming on the auto. It was my major deciding point to go with the tuning kit over 3rd party modifications in that area. For the hardware you get the kit is expensive but I think the reprogramming made it worth it.

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chondro_84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/11 at 5:46am

I found this while surfing the net... and though that it was way cooler than the regular rear seat delete kit... but so far, I haven't gotten any replies from them.  What do ya'll think?  Hello!

http://www.mymini2wagon.com/en/products/combikit

-JTB 07 Silver MCS
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/11 at 11:57am
Very nice, but awful costly
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Post Reply Post Reply