Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poll/opinion: Summer tires vs all season

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poll/opinion: Summer tires vs all season
    Posted: March/11/11 at 9:25am
So, I'm starting my research now for when I decide to buy tires in a month or two.

I've looked at both summer and all-season tires, but want to hear what people who have had MINI's for years in the PNW run on their cars?

Note that I plan on having a dedicated set of winter tires for next winter, primarily use my car as a daily driver, and would like a bit of longevity with my performance if possible.

So, summer or all season?
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/11 at 9:50am
Summer tires are great, in the summer, but when the temps drop, like going up a mountains into the snow line (during the summer), traction drops pretty dramatically.  During the summer/warm temps they are great!

S.

Edited by SMOG - March/11/11 at 9:51am
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/11 at 9:55am
Definetely go for the Summer tires if you have a second set for the winter months. Summers here are actually quite dry and you can really make good use of your summer perfromance tires.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/11 at 10:37am
I don't really go to the mountains that much, not a skiier or boarder, so the only time I'd head up there is for a drive or something, and I'm not going near'em until the snow's gone =)

I know summer tires tend to do well in the rain/wet too, so I'll take a look at summer tires as well.
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
Zephyrgtw View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zephyrgtw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/11 at 10:49am
Summer / Winter ... Definitely!

I've tried a few and settled on:
   Summer = Dunlop Direza Star Spec
   Winter = Dunlop Winter Sports

For me - the most important criteria was turn-in response. The run-flats are exceptional here, but you obviously sacrifice with a more harsh ride and road noise. I started with some Yokahama S Drives, which I did not care for because of the softer side-wall (I could feel the split-second delay from turn-in to response - especially coming off the run-flats). After further research I went with the Star Specs which were rated the best at the time for steering response (Tire Rack has GREAT information from user reviews & surveys). The other thing about the Star Spec is they are so darn reasonable in terms of price!!! You can buy 2 1/2 for the price of a signle run-flat! They are also incredibly sticky; make absolutely no noise at the limit; and when they do give - it is just a slight transition from full traction to slight slip (no abrupt 'edge' where a good percentage of traction dissappears). And - they were way better than I expected in the rain. Cold - they don't like.

Since I purchased the tires - I believe the Yokahama Advan Neova now takes the top spot for turn-in response; but they are a bit more expensive and give up a bit of confidence in the wet.

Winter is another story ... you definitely need to rank what is most important then look for a corrosponding tire. For me - I was willing to sacrifice some snow traction ability for dry pavement performance. (Yes - it rains/snows around here... but sometimes we actually DO have dry roads in the winter :) I have been quite pleased with the Winter Sports. Granted - I have not stressed them in the snow (I have an X5d for that); but the confidence in a good wet-traction tire with temps below 45deg has been great. They are still tossable (I was amused the first time I hit the limits though - and heard them squeal ... I was so used to the quite transition of the Star Specs :)

Hope this helps,

Greg
Black on Black JCW Clubman; Conv/Prem/Cold Pkgs; Xenon; Sport Stripes & Black-Jack Sun Roof; H-Sport RSB; H-Sport Adj. Control Arms; Alta End-Links; Forge IC; NM Eng. CAI; NM Eng. Springs
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/11 at 11:05am
Wow, excellent write up, thank you.  The Star Spec does look pretty good, and I like the price as well.

Thanks Greg!
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/11 at 2:00pm
There will be compromises if you go with an all season tire. 
If you want performance, you need to have two different sets. It's most economical to mount them on different wheels; that way you can change them whenever you want without having them remounted every time (which can't be good for the tires or wheels either). 
I actually just have summer-ish all season tires that kind of suck in the snow or heavy rain, and when it snows I jack up the car and put on the winter tires. 

If you'll be going to the track in the summer, but decided to go with all-season tires for year round, you'll then want track tires. So either way, you'll want two sets of tires...

SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/11 at 2:31pm
Cool, more good info.  Thanks Kurt.
el chupacabra View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el chupacabra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/11 at 11:04am
COOP, this is Oso, I have worked in the tire business for 9 years at Costco, and if your car is an everyday vehicle then I would buy All Season Performance tires, because it rains so much over here, and you still would have good traction and longer wear. And for the winter season if you choose to, then put your winter tires on. When I hear of a summer tire I think of an Ultra High Performance tire. Sticky, great response, nice handling usually no siping on the tire. But since its a softer rubber compound will wear out quicker. My car is not an everyday driver and I will be replacing my tires when needed with an Ultra High Performance. Just my 2 cents but if you have a Costco membership card Costco is always having deals of $70 dollars off a set of 4 tires and you can also go to costco.com and order tires as well and price them out. Good luck.
LoMasRankiao/ Dandole Dura A La Competencia con mi '06 MCS
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/11 at 1:54pm
I DO like the idea of good performance and longer life/wear, I don't like the thought of replacing tires every two years or so.  I'm waiting for the Potenza 970AS to come out to see how it fares in tests/results, hopefully it'll surpass what's already out on the market.
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/11 at 8:24am
Greg's write up is a good one and several guys use the Dunlop Direza on the track.

Just replaced my run flats & went with the Conti DWS. I'll use these all year round except for the track. Seem pretty good, quiet, good traction in the wet, haven't had them in snow, dry conditions seem good (don't really push the car on the street), rated pretty high by Tire Rack and price was good.

If you have winter wheels & tires, I'd go for a full out Performance tire for summer and the Dunlops would be a good choice.

Cheers!
07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
 Post Reply Post Reply