Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Installing those under bonnet eyes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installing those under bonnet eyes
    Posted: March/15/11 at 3:20pm
I received my MINI eyes from Aesthetic Creations today, peeled off the vinyl, and stuck it on the indents after cleaning them with rubbing alcohol. Do I need to create a water/soap mixture to fasten them on the plastic? They don't feel really secure and I didn't know if I needed to go through the elaborate dry installation process for something like this
R.I.P.: "Zippy"-Hyper Blue Metallic/White 2005 R50."MINI-ME" plates. Side wing decals.

"Luna" - White Silver 2014 Roadster S. "RDSTER" plates.

"Aura" - Space Blue/Silver 2006 Cooper S.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/11 at 3:44pm
You cleaned the car with alcohol, not the adhesive surface of the eyes, right? 
On my car I used Simple Green to get off all the dirt and grime, then rinsed with water to make sure there was no residue. 
Then I dried and stuck them on. 
I wonder if the rubbing alcohol you used contained some sort of oil residue. 

SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/11 at 4:09pm
I'm going to have to look into those now
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/11 at 4:09pm
Yes I cleaned the car with the alcohol.

The edges won't smooth down when I smooth out the bubbles. I will wait it out and see after it sits awhile. I wish the rain would stop so I could put on the other goodies I bought!
R.I.P.: "Zippy"-Hyper Blue Metallic/White 2005 R50."MINI-ME" plates. Side wing decals.

shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/11 at 4:14pm

SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/11 at 4:15pm
It could be the moisture in the air too.

We need to find you a proper lic. plate frame as well =)
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/11 at 4:21pm
I know, that is something I have been planning to get before my plates come in the mail so I can get it all done in one swoop!

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/11 at 4:24pm
Worst case and if there is some remaining oil, you could use something like Simple Green to get rid of it all, then get some spray adhesive and spray it between the plastic and the sticker. Stick everything down. When it is good and stuck, use some Goo Gone to get rid of the overspray. 
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/11 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by SuperCoop SuperCoop wrote:

It could be the moisture in the air too.

We need to find you a proper lic. plate frame as well =)

Yeah really. FORD plates on a MINI??? 
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/11 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

Worst case and if there is some remaining oil, you could use something like Simple Green to get rid of it all, then get some spray adhesive and spray it between the plastic and the sticker. Stick everything down. When it is good and stuck, use some Goo Gone to get rid of the overspray. 
That's a good idea Kurt. If I am not pleased tomorrow with the outcome I will try that out.

Yes, it is embarassing having these plate frames! I am shopping around for some cool ones that aren't too expensive!

DneprDave View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DneprDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/11 at 4:57pm
When I got my plates, the dealer frames got tossed. I don't have any frames.

Dave
Chili red/ Black roof 2010 Clubman S automatic transmission.

Shadetree mechanic
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/11 at 5:05pm
Kurt, where did you get your eyes from?
Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/11 at 8:51pm
Hey, those are the same ones that I have! Great choice. Thumbs Up
I remember Kurt had asked me about them during my MINI's transformation through the years: http://www.psmini.org/forum/hapa-haoles-transformation_topic6782_post82634.html?KW=aesthetic#82634
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/11 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by SuperCoop SuperCoop wrote:

Kurt, where did you get your eyes from?
I forgot where I got them, but Brenda seems to have reminded me. I got them at the same place. 
Mine look like this: 

Sorry for the mess- this seems to be the only picture I have with the bonnet up, since I installed these. 

For those who didn't know -- the under bonnet eyes are a performance part. They provide a power increase of about 5HP. 

Edited by CORNERS - March/15/11 at 9:03pm
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/11 at 9:04pm

Sweet! That was a cool thread Brenda, very interesting seeing the amazing transformation!

I would like to get my black trim painted body color....I am getting tired of this faded, constantly dirty looking black. I will get some black wow soon to suffice, but I love that body color look!

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/11 at 9:31pm
here are some choices:
http://www.aestheticreations.net/

http://www.vinylstyles.com/index2.php

There is Mini Pirate but the site seems to be acting up. http://www.minipirate.com/shop.htm

You can still get Rouge Mini eyes here
http://www.motoringalliance.com/index.php?page=store

All so Fred does them too

Edited by johnf36 - March/15/11 at 9:32pm
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/11 at 7:52am
I'm not sure the AC ones would fit Coop's personality.

I might get a set of the MA ones, just wish they weren't quite so angry.  Now...which color.
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/11 at 9:30am

With today's break from rain I put on my "actual size" sticker and a chrome flame graphic on the hood:

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/11 at 9:57am
That's not a hood, that's a bonnet. Smile
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/11 at 10:45am
I like the EYES and the bonnet FLAMES!  Thumbs Up
catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/11 at 4:33pm
Looks like you've got the bug!!  Wink
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/11 at 7:43pm
I do have the bug, it's horrible! So many possibilities....ahhhh

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/11 at 7:46pm
...And there is no cure. 
My advice - find a theme and stick to it. 
Otherwise you're going to run out of glass and painted surfaces to stick stuff to. 
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/11 at 7:52pm
Yeah, I can't do a whole lot more on the "bonnet" because it would look too busy with the wings on the sides.

I won't do a lot more with the exterior I don't think. I would like to paint the black trim someday but that won't be for awhile.

firehawk618 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/11 at 11:33pm
I have been looking, and looking, and looking at various stripe styles and color combo's.

Each time I get ready to pull the trigger and order doubt sets in and I wait.

My car's the same color as yours, and i'm debating whether to get black stripes or go with silver.....decisions decisions.
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/11 at 11:39pm
Hmmm....black would be cool but probably wouldn't show up quite as much as silver.

Have you checked out Aesthetic Creations for stripes? There are all kinds of cool patterns on there

PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/11 at 12:12am
I hear ya there Chad...  It's tough to make a decision and stay with it. I must have changed the color of my MINI 3 or more times when it was in production. I went from Chili Red briefly, to Dark Silver, to Pure Silver, to Hyper Blue w/black and then finally decided on Hyper Blue w/white at the very last minute. 

Even after delivery to the dealership, I've doubted whether I made the right choice. When I went to take ownership of my car, I was drooling over a red MINI on the showroom floor parked next to mine. I think I gave my poor motoring advisor a heart attack when I first entered the dealership and asked, "I really wonder if I should have ordered red instead?" LOL

Edited by Hapa Haole - March/23/11 at 12:13am
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/11 at 12:15am
Originally posted by shasti212 shasti212 wrote:

Sweet! That was a cool thread Brenda, very interesting seeing the amazing transformation!

Thank you! Embarrassed
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/11 at 12:57am
Stefano has done the perfect thing. he has black stripes with chrome silver borders.
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/11 at 8:25am
I second what Stefano has, the dark stripe is a little stealthy, but the silver border, or even white, would give it just a little bit of "pop"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>