Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > How To Do It
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Creaky door fix

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Creaky door fix
    Posted: March/20/11 at 6:53pm
I don't know if it was just my car or if this is a common problem but my doors sounded like they were from a 1973 ford truck when i'd open and close them.  By that I mean that they'd creak and groan quite a bit.  I sprayed all kinds of lube on the door stopper thingey and it would work for a few days at a time.

Today I tore the door apart, on a mission to do what I could to stop the squeaking / heavy feeling doors.

I was again suprised at how easy it was to get to, dis-mantle and put back together.

Basically I got the piece out, and it was able to be dismantled quite easily so I tore it apart, cleaned out what was left of the dried out, dirty grease, re-greased it and put it all back together.

To take the piece apart just use a screwdriver to work the top / bottom plates out a bit, then use a rag and some pliers to pull the plates out all the way.  Use the rag to keep the spring from taking off.  It's not under much pressure but better safe than broken glass.  :)  After that it's pretty simple.  To put it back together the 1st spring / plastic / plate goes together easy, the 2nd one is a little harder because you have to push down on the spring and slide the plate in.   Very do-able by yourself but easier with 2 people.

Door feels quite a bit smoother now and most importantly it doesn't squack and groan when opening or closing.  :)

Edited by firehawk618 - March/20/11 at 6:55pm
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/11 at 8:17pm
You are one skilled mechanic :-) 
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/11 at 8:50pm
The skills of the mechanically inclined in this club are amazing - and the willingness to share their knowledge and experience is very much appreciated.  Thanks for documenting and sharing Chad. Thumbs Up
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

firehawk618 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/11 at 10:23pm
NP glad to share, wish I was better at stopping to take pics as I go and write ups.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/11 at 12:16am
Keep it lubed with lithium and you with be fine
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Post Reply Post Reply