Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > How To Do It
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changing fuel filter in R53... Any advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing fuel filter in R53... Any advice?
    Posted: May/06/11 at 2:17pm
I've got the fuel filter and I'm ready to try this, but is there anything I need to know besides what I see in this link? http://www.billswebspace.com/MiniR5053FuelFilterDIYGuide.htm
Should the battery be disconnected?
How full should the fuel tank be? It's at about 5/16 tank right now.

Thanks in advance for advice,
Brenda Geek
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/11 at 2:20pm
First, did you make sure to get the MINI brand fuel filter?  The aftermarket ones apparently don't work due to incorrect seal sizes.

I need to do mine still, but it sounds fairly straightforward.  Just make sure to have lots of towels and ventilation 
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/11 at 6:27pm
no smoking. ;)
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
TWIZZLR View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert
PSMINI Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWIZZLR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/11 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Wildfamily Wildfamily wrote:

no smoking. ;)

LOL
Karin & Karen

11 JCW Midnight Blk Roof Caps All pkgs, Aero
Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/11 at 7:55am
Ha, ha Martin...  Very funny! LOL 

Well, as far as I know my MINI still runs. After changing the filter yesterday, Steve ran it for about 3 minutes. There was no sputtering or anything. I find that odd... I thought there would be some kind of air in the line or something. I haven't had Hapa out in the rain because I'm trying to keep her clean for some re-stripping on Sunday. I guess I might as well give up on trying to keep her dry because the rain doesn't look like it's going to stop any time soon. Unhappy
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/11 at 9:25am
Was it hard? 
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/11 at 9:45am
The fuel recirculates back to the tank thru a pressure relief valve, and pretty quickly, too.  I'm not sure what pressure the pump makes, but its up there a bit - 75 - 80 pounds for the injectors to work properly.  So the minute you turn the key, the pump probably ran those bubbles back thru before you could get the key to the start position.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
Steve518 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve518 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/11 at 9:57am
Hard? The hard part is access and knowing where and how to pry it all apart, unscrew the lid, and why they supply two gaskets, when there is only one needed.  All in all it is not that difficult, first time learning about it is the hard part.  I searched and searched all around the tank, etc. for where the 2nd gasket would go, and finally decided, I had not lost it, and there was only one needed to complete the job.  The other main problem is twisting the lid off without dislodging the sender unit et. al. and then getting it back twisted on and then the gasket in place properly before seating the canister.
Husband of Hapa Haole "Brenda"

Steve518 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve518 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/11 at 9:58am
Oh yah,  Martin, I did not smoke.......
Husband of Hapa Haole "Brenda"

firehawk618 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/11 at 11:39pm
It's pretty easy, and I didn't even spill any fuel in my car.

My filter was BLACK!  Very brittle filter element too, i'd imagine becasue of how much fuel that has been through that filter.
*SOLD* 05MCS, added too much to list. 193k miles
 Post Reply Post Reply