Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

$65 dollar MFSW / cruise retrofit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $65 dollar MFSW / cruise retrofit
    Posted: May/12/11 at 10:49pm
I managed to retrofit cruise control with the multi-function steering wheel for $65  :)

It's all installed and working properly.

What I did was bought a used column complete with MFSW from a junkyard, $65 shipped.

Salvaged the wheel, clock spring and the harness.  The harness they'd cut off at the dash BUT the pins that plug into the switches and stuff on the column are the same exact pins needed to run to the BCM, Speedometer and engine computer.

Hardest part for me was modifying the engine computer connector to accept 2 more wires.  The MFSW kit from Mini includes this connector as the stock connector has a solid plug over the 2 holes but other than that the connectors are the same.

I got it all done in ~3 hours, coding included.  I didn't spend a ton of time concealing the wires under the dash but will some other day.  They're completely hidden from view in the cabin but I like to put them in tubing or fasten them to the stock harness to make it look stock.

The only part I chose not to install is the clutch switch that de-activates cruise as soon as you put pressure on the clutch pedal.  My concern in doing that was perhaps the rpm's will climb out of control when clutch is pressed without first de-activating cruise but to my suprise the car is programmed to cut the cruise anyways if the rpm's just barely climb from where they  should be at a given speed.  Pretty cool.  I know for fact that some cars with manual transmissions, if you don't press the clutch and just slip it out of gear with cruise activated the car will rev until it can't rev anymore.  Not the case on the Mini!

Very happy to have cruise now!  The radio controls are just a bonus for me.

Edited by firehawk618 - May/12/11 at 10:52pm
*SOLD* 05MCS, added too much to list. 193k miles
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/11 at 10:51pm
Cool! It seems there is nothing that you can't do. 

So what did you do? Splice in wires from the MFSW into the existing wiring harness, and add a couple more for the additional two wires? 

And great price on the parts! 
firehawk618 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/11 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

Cool! It seems there is nothing that you can't do. 

So what did you do? Splice in wires from the MFSW into the existing wiring harness, and add a couple more for the additional two wires? 

And great price on the parts!

There are 5 wires that must be run to add this feature.

They all start at the clockspring.

One goes to the speedometer, one to the body control module, one to the databus, one to ground and one to the engine computer.

If i'd added the clutch switch then there would be 3 more wires, one to ground, one to switched power "both these just power the hall effect switch on the clutch" and the output from that switch to the engine computer.

I chose to just ground the pin on the engine computer that's looking for ground "to tell it the clutch is out and it's ok to engage cruise"

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/11 at 10:56pm
Next = dismantle passenger seat to see what I can do with the occupancy sensor, mine is bad and I have the SRS light on all the time.  I plan to remove the module, and do what I have to do to make the SRS system think there's a person in the seat at all times.  Will make the SRS light go away and will trigger the passenger airbag reguardless if there's anyone in the seat or not.

I can't stand the SRS light on all the time.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/11 at 10:56pm
Nice. 
I do pretty good with the mechanical stuff but I would have fried an electrical part for sure. 

(Although I did help Slyderone the other day to install and hook up a set of Hella driving lights and no popped fuses for that install!) 

Edited by CORNERS - May/12/11 at 10:58pm
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/11 at 10:58pm

Nice. I do pretty good with the mechanical stuff but I would have fried an electrical part for sure. 

(Although I did help Slyderone the other day to install and hook up a set of Hella driving lights and no popped fuses for that install!) 

Hey good job!

Speaking of driving lights, I still haven't wired mine in.  I am going to go forward with wiring them into the factory foglight switch / relay circuit.  My car didn't come with any fogs so I might as well use that switch and relay for something.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/11 at 11:06pm
One point if you do that -- the factory fog relay is  configured to go off when the high beams go on, which is the opposite of the desired behavior for driving lights.  
You may be able to still use the switch and relay, but you would need to decouple it from the hi/lo beam.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/11 at 11:14pm
Some photos of the install: 

Slyderone under the knife - 6

Slyderone under the knife - 6

Slyderone under the knife - 2

Slyderone under the knife - 2

Slyderone under the knife - 7

Slyderone under the knife - 7

Slyderone under the knife - 4

Slyderone under the knife - 4

Slyderone under the knife - 1

Slyderone under the knife - 1

Slyderone under the knife - 5

Slyderone under the knife - 5

Slyderone under the knife - 3

Slyderone under the knife - 3

Edited by CORNERS - May/12/11 at 11:14pm
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/11 at 6:31am
Where did you source the wheel?  Jessmini needs a replacement MFSW for her 03S.  All of the "Leather" peel off.  Had the same thing happen to mine years ago (early mfg problem)  and it was replaced under warranty.  The dealer quoted around $800. 
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/11 at 8:12am
Very good jobThumbs Up.

Running an extra circuit for the driving laps is easy with an Add-A-Circuit fuse holder.

S.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/11 at 11:02am
Driving and Passing lights are required by Washington State Law to function in conjunction with the high beams. This also applies to other states that is why Mini's set up working off the high beams and the fogs work off the low beams.There is also a wattage requirement o no more then 65 watts, most lights come with 55watt bulbs. Also a suggestion you might want to buy stone guards for you lights.

John
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/11 at 11:23am
What John said!

When adding a circuit just put the relay trigger circuit on the high beams. 

Not sure what a Passing Light isConfused.

Yep, the wattage on the Hella's is 55W so they should be legal.

I think the Stone Guards, the Clear ones, make good sense.  I have read reports of stuff getting between the lens and the cover so maybe they need to be cleaned more often?  I am using Clear Shieldz, they at least keep broken glass from flying about.

S.

Edited by SMOG - May/13/11 at 11:24am
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
WOODSTOCK View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past President)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOODSTOCK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/11 at 2:10pm
I'm so impressed with all that you guys and gals can do!  I have no doubt but that if everyone took all the extra parts from our garages some of these members could build a race car out of it!!  Of course, it would be a 'Franken-Mini', but I bet it would run!

Chad:  I might want to find out more what you are doing with the seat.  My 'Passenger Airbag On' keeps going off and on sporadically and the dealer tells me I need to replace the bottom part of the seat.  Problem with that is that I would then have to take it somewhere to put the Woodstock custom upholstry back on.
WOODSTOCK: Linda's 2005 LY MCSC with feel good graphics and go fast mods.
CINIMIN: Jack's 2006 Chili Red/White Coupe
KEMO-SABE: Our 2011 Bright White/Blk All4 Countryman
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/11 at 4:07pm
Thanks for all the heads up's and advice reguarding driving lights and laws.  I will wire them to come on whenever I want them, not when the car decides it's ok.

As far as the seat / srs fix goes, i'll start a new thread on it, but keep in mind, my idea will make the srs system unable to adjust deployment levels according to the size of the occupant in the seat.  It's going to be full blast when it goes off, just like the early airbag systems.

Another side effect will be that the seatbelt reminder light / chime will go unless I reach over and plug in the passenger buckle, because the computer will think there's someone in the seat at all times.

I'm ok with this, I refuse to pay around $1k for a seatbottom just to get the weight sensor from it.

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/11 at 4:08pm
Someone asked where I got the wheel, I got the whole column complete with wheel, switches, tachometer, key, ignition switch off ebay from a wrecking yard.

They sold it way too cheap and that was a buy it now price!

It was packaged so well, they had to have spent $20 to have a guy package it up.  Very professional place.

Edited by firehawk618 - May/13/11 at 4:09pm
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/11 at 4:10pm
One note on the cruise, last night it worked perfectly on my test drive, this morning it was working, then I hit a bump and it turned off, and shut off the green indicator.  When I press the on button it flashes twice and turns off.

I'll pull codes and post what the problem was later, my suspicion is that the logic figured out there's no clutch interlock switch present.......
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/11 at 4:21pm
Maybe there is a loose wire somewhere. 
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/11 at 4:52pm

Maybe there is a loose wire somewhere. 

We'll see but I doubt it.

Only 2 of the wires I ran have anything to do with the cruise and if one isn't attatched the light won't even turn on.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/11 at 8:56pm
Sure enough, clutch switch signal implausible.  Cleared the code and it works again.  If the code appears again i'll be adding the clutch switch.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/11 at 9:17pm
Haha. 'implausible' :-)

You will get it working. We believe in you.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/11 at 7:43pm
It went a whole day today with no errors, I figured out I just have to disable the cruise via the switch or brake pedal instead of pushing in the clutch and letting the system disengage itself.  I'll keep my eyes open for the proper clutch switch and when I get one i'll put it in.  Very easy at this point.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/11 at 7:46pm
Interesting. I guess the computer is watching the RPM and speed and calculating whether the pedal should be in or not. If it doesn't appear to match the switch response, it errors out. 

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/11 at 7:53pm

Interesting. I guess the computer is watching the RPM and speed and calculating whether the pedal should be in or not. If it doesn't appear to match the switch response, it errors out. 

Yup, without the clutch switch when I press the clutch the rpm's climb a tiny bit then the cruise disengages.  Did that a few times the first night and thought all was well until the next day when it finally triggered the code.

Don't put the car in the situation where it cuts cruise because of rpm's climing out of sync with speed and it appears the code doesn't trigger.

Too bad I can't just use the existing clutch switch but the existing one doesn't close until the pedal is almost on the floor, and the crusie switch opens as soon as you start pushing the pedal.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/11 at 10:27pm
Bah next day stupid code came back.

on the hunt for a clutch switch now.  :(   Dammit

ilansberry View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilansberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/14 at 8:33am
Hello, I've read your thread and I am interested in trying to add cruise to my mini. Can you be more descriptive as to where you ran the wires? "One goes to the speedometer, one to the body control module, one to the databus, one to ground and one to the engine computer." Exactly where? I haven't looked, or pulled it apart yet, but did you match them up with specific wires etc?

I found a kit at Mini of South Atlanta, but it's $800ish. I'm thinking your solution is much cheaper. Also, how did you program it, did you take it yo a dealer or do you have your own setup.

Thanks for your time.

Ian
Thomato View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/20 at 5:18am
Hello!
I'm new on here and new to the new mini, however...

I'd like to fit CC in my 2005 r50.

How did you program the car to work cruise control, please? Is there a unit and software that will do it? On my Smart Roadsters I use Delphi kit and program.

Thank you!
Thomas
 Post Reply Post Reply