Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lets talk shocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/14 at 12:05pm
Corners would have taken good care of them :-)

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
racingbmwm3 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/14 at 7:59am
Originally posted by SMOG SMOG wrote:

Now to just decide what to replace them with!  H&R Street coilovers?

Too bad they don't offer these for your year:
http://www.ohlinsusa.com/automotive-suspension-products/2/Mini+Cooper

I'd go for the KW or H&R from what's available to you.  I'd like to say the Bilstein, but I've never heard any positive reviews for their coilover packages, only their struts.
'05 Cooper, BRG, Aerokit, Sport Package, 135k
'89 325iX, Diamondblack, 270k
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/14 at 8:54am
I think I am going to go with Bilsteins and Swift Spec-R springs.  The only question in my mind is which Bilsteins, the B6 or the B8?

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/14 at 10:46am
Frankly, I find all of this shocking.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/14 at 10:54am
I think it is just an opportunity for SMOG to strut his stuff!
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/14 at 10:59am
Ba-da... boom!

You guys just can't help yourselves...

All is good.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/14 at 1:12pm
Ha!  I guess that's what happens when "Shocking" things happen to those who "Strut their stuff" LOL

When suspension fails there is always a big let down of some sort, financially or in reality when it hits the pavement.  I now apparently have had both happen!

I just need to get a solid recommendation which Bilstein to put on, B6 or B8.  The B8 is recommended for lowering springs and the Swift Spec-R's do lower the car about an inch or a bit more.  The B6's are for the longer stroke of OEM springs BUT might work with the Swift's.

Some sites list these shocks/struts by HD or Sport and sometimes that seems to be interchangeable without reference to "B6" or "B8" and that adds to the confusion.  Is the IRP, that bobbyd referred to, site and business in general knowledgeable?

Whats a guy to do??!!!??  The smoother the ride the better.

Edited by SMOG - March/03/14 at 1:27pm
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/14 at 2:36pm
UPDATE to the saga.

Ordered the B8's and had some good advice from the guys at IRP in Renton(thank you BobbyD) in regards to the selection.

By the time all the parts show up I suspect my shoulder will be in good enough shape to attack the MINI again.  SMOG-2 has turned out to be quite the sparring partner!

racingbmwm3 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/14 at 9:35am
I'm assuming IRP told you about the ride quality difference in using either the HD or Sport in combination with lowering springs.  I had the HD (B6) on my E30, then I lowered it later and it rode rough.  A friend of mine lowered his and used the Sport (B8) and it rode like a stock suspension, firm and comfortable.
'05 Cooper, BRG, Aerokit, Sport Package, 135k
'89 325iX, Diamondblack, 270k
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/14 at 10:22am
IRP said that the valving on the B6 & the B8 were identical. The difference was one is designed for shorter stroke springs, and that is the B8.

I told them i wanted smooth!

Edited by SMOG - March/06/14 at 6:41am
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/14 at 12:37pm
I just got back from a 5 or 6,000 mile drive on the Bilstien B8's with Swift Spec-R springs.  All I can say is AMAZING!  Tight suspension but not hard hitting enough to leave nuts, bolts and screws on the floor of the MINI after all those miles on some pretty bad roads.  My co-pilot mentioned that she could not have gone that far in her Honda Accord without zero back pain.  Neither of us had back issues after the adventure.  With Posted Speed Limits as high as 80mph you can imagine how fast I was going and doing it on Dunlop SP Wintersport M3's, 215x45x17's.  GREAT TIRE!!!!!

We started out in the snow on Mt. Hood and ended up in the snow in Idaho and never a slip or bobble, even when there were many hydroplaning into the center divider in West Virginia.  Love those tires :-)  and the shocks.

Edited by SMOG - December/19/14 at 6:49am
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/14 at 8:19pm
You're back!  How was the trip?
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/14 at 8:22pm
Is that on a 1st gen? Looking at Billy's site, I see B4 and B6 for the 1st gen. If I recall, I have the B8s on my Benz and they're the yellow HD shocks.
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/14 at 8:59pm
Back, thankfully!  Looooong trip but the MINI did very well and averaged 31+mpg.  The stupid drivers are abundant, the drivers that do NOT want to be passed by a MINI are to numerous to count and the truck drivers that want to keep a rolling road block to stop all progress for all traffic.  Saw only 2 MINI's going the same direction we were going and a couple dozen going the opposite direction.  Hi note was one of the Reverends doing the funeral service for my uncle had a red MINI "S" and loves it.  The only MINI in town as far as I could see.  She too loves her MINI.

2nd Gen w/sport suspension front sway bar, 22mm rear sway bar is what I drive.
Ryder_C View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryder_C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/14 at 3:00pm
I was looking into some shocks for my first performance upgrade on my car and I came across the 

Bilstein PSS9 Coil Over System. Does anyone know anything about these shocks and if they are really worth the money?

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/14 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by SuperCoop SuperCoop wrote:

Is that on a 1st gen? Looking at Billy's site, I see B4 and B6 for the 1st gen. If I recall, I have the B8s on my Benz and they're the yellow HD shocks.

As was explained to me by the Bilstien  Distributor, the B8's are for lowering springs, the B6's are for regular length springs, both being HD ride shocks.  The B4's are for a softer ride and regular OEM springs.

Ryder_C View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryder_C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/14 at 4:13pm
I drive an 05 mini I found a few websites that carry the pss9s for my car but 2000 for the shocks and I can't find any reviews on them so I was hoping someone from this site could bring some insight to the matter.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/14 at 5:39am
Originally posted by SuperCoop SuperCoop wrote:

2nd Gen, 2011 that HAD "Sport Suspension" and I added a 22mm rear sway bar set on soft.  Just about as stiff, maybe a little less, than the OEM Sport Suspension and far less jarring with 1 or 2 people in the car.  The OEM Sport rear sway bar measures 19mm.

Corners pretty darn flat!

Sorry I missed answering that question earlier.
RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/14 at 2:00pm
I'm planning to get FSDs and new 215/45-17s next Spring; any suggestions, either for different struts or a good, inexpensive performance tire?
I've had Yokohama Paradas since '05, but that tire has been discontinued; is there a specific tire that replaced it?  Something similar that doesn't cost $200 a pop?
I bought the Paradas because I thought they had the best overall performance in a Road & Track magazine test of $100 performance tires, but ten years later, I suppose the $200 tire is the new $100 tire?
'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/14 at 2:08pm
This is a very old thread. Maybe start a new tire thread?
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/14 at 3:41pm
I see 2 topics in that last question by RickB; struts/shocks and tires.

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/14 at 3:58pm
+1 on the FSDs - much improved ride and handling.  Get a good alignment after.  Consider a rear sway bar and you will be set for some fun in the twisties.   Tires are probably the worst place to try to save a few bucks.  Get the best tires you can possibly afford.  Shop sizes carefully - same tire can vary in price considerably in different sizes.    My $.02 wprth.
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/14 at 7:57pm
I must be the only person who's not thrilled with the FSD's. Improved over stock? Yes, though I found them pretty bouncy with the stock S springs. 

Considering Kurt's old HR setup, I was REALLY impressed the first time I rode in his car.
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/14 at 7:59pm
The FSD are a 'comfortable' upgrade from stock but probably not for the performance-minded.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/14 at 6:47am
The setup I settled with really makes the little car handle very well.  It drops it an inch, after a year of settling, rides firm but not jarring which is an upgrade to the "Sport Suspension" option that was on my 2011 MCS.

RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/14 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

The FSD are a 'comfortable' upgrade from stock but probably not for the performance-minded.

90% of my miles are in a straight line, so while I do like the sporty side, my butt would prefer to have a more comfortable ride all the time!
'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/14 at 7:37pm
You prefer straights to corners?  The FSD's ride great.
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/14 at 6:11am
I am quite satisfied with my FSD's.  Really improve the general ride.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/14 at 6:13am
While you are down there, you should consider an upgrade to Poly control arm bushings.  If they haven't ben replaced already, they are probably trash.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/14 at 4:57pm
Rob, how many miles would you expect a set of OEM bushings to last?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>