Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interest in an RMW/Jan Tune II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/11 at 9:22pm
Grrr... since my dyno run I'm now thinking I need more.   Must... resist... the urge....

2012 VW Golf Pirate Edition... Aarrr! - JACK

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
EAR2EAR View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAR2EAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/11 at 8:49am
Resistance is futile
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/11 at 8:50am
When are you going to get that thing on the track where you can actually use the power that you don't have yet? :-)
Sanderskog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/11 at 9:47am
When I can find an insurance provider that will cover accidental stupidity. Wink

2012 VW Golf Pirate Edition... Aarrr! - JACK

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/11 at 9:59am
Originally posted by ClintTheMiniOwner ClintTheMiniOwner wrote:

I talked to Jan, its looking like nov 14th or 21rst. It's apparently up to Jan's wife.... Kinda sucks that Jan is pretty much a one man operation. 
Im hoping for a 265 whp since I fixed my timing

He is not a "One man operation" but he is the Tuner! 

I know that Jan puts in some tough hours in his shop in Southern California and keeping the family happy at the same time is difficult, from my experience with work and family.  I tend to choose familyBig smile

Stephen

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Hot Shot View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/11 at 2:58pm
What do his tunes cost? I might be up for it depending on cost.
-James
www.jboyerphotography.com

ACTUAL SIZE Sticker GB
<
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/11 at 1:12am
For your R 53 it is 350 plus dyno time, figure about 500 James.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

scoopieb View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoopieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/11 at 8:11am

Last time the re-tunes were less $$.  Is that still the case?  If so, how much?

06 MCS RMW BVH, Street cam, RCA, coolant tank & Tune/Dinan CAI/Alta 15%V2/Dinan exhaust & ST/OS Giken GT/Carbon fiber/MOMO/BC coilover/swift
scoopieb View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoopieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/11 at 8:15am
Before he does my tune I need to install the larger injectors.  What is the best way to do that?  Should I plan on doing it on site where he's tuning or is it ok to install at my house the night before?  I wasn't sure if I could drive it with the larger injectors w/o some other tweaking by Jan.  I wouldn't think it would be a problem but you never know.
06 MCS RMW BVH, Street cam, RCA, coolant tank & Tune/Dinan CAI/Alta 15%V2/Dinan exhaust & ST/OS Giken GT/Carbon fiber/MOMO/BC coilover/swift
Slyderone View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slyderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/11 at 7:32pm
I think it depends on the size injectors your putting in.  I put in JCW and they work fine but from what I read if you go larger you want to do it on site. But I am no expert...
John 05 MCSC: Alta CAI, 15%, JCW Head and Injectors, RMW Street Cam, Jan Tune
(SLYDER1 plates)

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar…"       
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/11 at 8:11pm
You should plan to install the injectors onsite. It takes about 20-30 minutes. 

The car will run with the new injectors before you have the tune, but not well, and could be dangerous to the engine at WOT (wide open throttle). 

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/11 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Slyderone Slyderone wrote:

I think it depends on the size injectors your putting in.  I put in JCW and they work fine but from what I read if you go larger you want to do it on site. But I am no expert...

Second that, 380's are good for a pulley change any more you should consider 450s and those have to be done on site.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/11 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by scoopieb scoopieb wrote:

Before he does my tune I need to install the larger injectors.  What is the best way to do that?  Should I plan on doing it on site where he's tuning or is it ok to install at my house the night before?  I wasn't sure if I could drive it with the larger injectors w/o some other tweaking by Jan.  I wouldn't think it would be a problem but you never know.

Why are you getting tuned again?

scoopieb View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoopieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/11 at 3:18pm

Thanks for the input, I'll plan to do the swap on-site.  I figured with the 450's i'd need to do it there.  I'm getting re-tuned because since the last tune I've added headers, cam, and will add injectors. 

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/11 at 4:17pm
Sounds like you got it all covered, you doing plugs too

Slyderone View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slyderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/11 at 4:27pm
Do we have a firm date yet? 
(SLYDER1 plates)

scoopieb View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoopieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/11 at 9:26am
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

Sounds like you got it all covered, you doing plugs too

Thanks for reminding me.  Yes, Jan said I need to go another 1 colder.  I'll also probably replace my belt.  I always hear about people getting on the dyno and finding out their belt is slipping.  My current belt has probably 15-20K on it.  Would you agree or you think my belt is ok?
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/11 at 11:05am
 Good plan, What belt size do you have now?

scoopieb View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoopieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/11 at 8:13am
I think its part#11-28-7-520-199 i got from NW mini.  I know theres lots of discussion on what is the correct one.  I think there's a NAPA one people use.  What do you suggest?  I have a 15% Alta pulley.  Thanks!
bahawton View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bahawton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/11 at 9:11am
Bump on the firm date?

Brett Hawton
2006 MCS JCW Owner
el chupacabra View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el chupacabra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/11 at 12:41pm
I'm in for a tune. But from my understanding i'm not much of a mechanic but from my understanding a a tune from Jan he will be able to give you more horsepower? Correct if I'm wrong anyone because I don't know much on how that works but I'm down sign me up please

LoMasRankiao/ Dandole Dura A La Competencia con mi '06 MCS
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/11 at 12:49pm
You will be amazed at what Jan can do to make your MINI sing!

A friend with an '07 had her MINI tuned by Jan, at 50k miles, and she said that it was faster than the new 2011 "S" and felt about the same as the 2011 JCW.

Edited by SMOG - October/10/11 at 12:51pm
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Slyderone View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slyderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/11 at 11:10am
Bump any new word???
(SLYDER1 plates)

Jasper View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/11 at 10:13am
Same question...  Is there a firm date and how would we go about signing up if we are interested?

I'm in the same boat as el chupacabra, trying to understand the process.  Is he just adjusting how the engine operates?  Do we need to upgrade anything prior to the tune?  Price for a 2007 MCS with JCW?

Thanks,
Jasper
07 JCW Dark Grey with black top
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/11 at 10:31am
Re-adjust of computer(timing, boost, etc.) to give more HP/Torque.  Not covered by warranty if you have a warranty.

I believe prices and the discussion of dates has been covered already.  No firm date yet if I understand correctly.

bahawton View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bahawton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/11 at 11:47am
Brett Hawton
2006 MCS JCW Owner
Slyderone View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slyderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/11 at 5:39pm
Bump
(SLYDER1 plates)

bahawton View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bahawton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/11 at 8:23am
It's been over 8 months since this thread was started:

I'm not complaining but I do feel we should close the thread if we're not going to make it happen.
Brett Hawton
2006 MCS JCW Owner
scoopieb View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoopieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/11 at 4:15pm

I'm guessing Jan hasn't confirmed anything yet.  But it looks like his wife let him go to NY and do some tuning on 10/21 & 10/22. 

I hope he gives us at least a few weeks notice becuase I still need to put my cam in.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/11 at 12:45am
Well, that is annoying, especially since that was one of the weekends that we were originally trying to get Jan up here. 

I have been really busy lately and not had a lot of time to keep trying to get a reply from Jan. Is there someone who might have more time and would like to try to take over the shepherding of this? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>