Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pondering some intakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pondering some intakes
    Posted: September/21/11 at 12:00am
As Christmas approaches, I have been asked to provide a list of things I want for Zippy by my family.

I am looking at an Injen IS-Series Short Ram intake (fits the R50). Anyone have any experience with this one or have other favorites?

Also welcome any other performance mod suggestions for a justa :)
R.I.P.: "Zippy"-Hyper Blue Metallic/White 2005 R50."MINI-ME" plates. Side wing decals.

"Luna" - White Silver 2014 Roadster S. "RDSTER" plates.

"Aura" - Space Blue/Silver 2006 Cooper S.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/11 at 5:00am
Making it breathe better, like cold air from outside the engine compartment and a more free flowing exhaust.  I put a smaller diameter tire on our Justa Automatic, went to a 24.1 diameter(205x50x16) from a 24.44 diameter(195x55x16) and it really made a difference in ZIP around town and the gas mileage is still 26 in town and 34 on the road.

Edited by SMOG - October/05/11 at 8:00am
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/11 at 8:08am
Don't forget, you can have my OEM Sports sway bar if you want it.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/11 at 9:53am
Rob--I am still very interested in that sway bar!
R.I.P.: "Zippy"-Hyper Blue Metallic/White 2005 R50."MINI-ME" plates. Side wing decals.

hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/11 at 11:13am
Without a doubt I can recommend the AFE CAI.  I have it on my Justa along with the Megan exhaust and love the combo!
Mitch & Teri
<font color=BLUE>2006 Cooper Checkmate[/COLOR]
<font color=RED>2013 JCW Countryman[/COLOR]
hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/11 at 11:25am
Other recommendations depend on how you plan to use the car.  Strut reinforcement plates are important to prevent "mushrooming".  Camber plates will also do that and allow you to adjust the front alignment for more agressive driving.  Lighter wheels are the most horsepower bang for the buck on a Justa.  www.wheelweights.net tells you the weight of different wheels on the market.  For car performance, performance driving lessons are the best way to improve your handling.  If you have other questions about mods I have done just about everything you can think of to my MC CVT so feel free to contact me with any questions.
Mitch & Teri
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/11 at 11:47am
Thanks for the suggestions Mitch! Has your intake helped with that CVT "slow speed jerkiness" at all? That's the only thing I just can't stand about this CVT.

I am in the market for a good deal on some wheels.

Thanks for the help!!

hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/11 at 11:55am
I don't have the slow speed jerkiness, but that may be due to mods or variations between the '05 and '06 transmissions.
Mitch & Teri
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/11 at 5:29pm
Mitch:

Whats "AFE"? 

I second your thought about light weight wheels, my Rota RB's are 16.3lb per wheel which is about a 5lb savings.  Non-runflats also save weight.

Stephen

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/11 at 10:31pm
AFE is the brand name.

Mitch
Mitch & Teri
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/11 at 5:15am
Thanks Mitch.  I thought AFE stood for something and I assumed it was the brand designation.

This must be what you are talking about.

http://4wheelonline.com/MINI_Cooper_AFE_Cold_Air_Intakes.58765.452579

Are you using the Pro Dry S or the Pro 5R???

hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/11 at 7:05am
Pro 5R and get the cleaning kit from them at the same time to keep it clean and restore that nice blue color.
Mitch & Teri
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/11 at 11:50pm
Will this intake fit my automatic transmission? This site that SMOG provided has the best deals I have seen, but I am not sure if it's just for manuals or not.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/11 at 12:44am
SMOG can answer that he has autos, it should, they do show a MC in the pic. They are all about the same, K&N has a kit too.

Here is the stock number for a 05 MC
http://afepower.com/shop/details_new.php?partno=54-11151&filter&menu=gas&engine=1.6L&searchtype=vehicle&make=MINI&model=Cooper&year=2005&engine=1.6L&&brandID=52
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/11 at 4:42am
Shasti212:

Check out this site for air intake part numbers.   If the automatic numbers are the same as the manual numbers then they should fit. 

I have the R-56 model mini's and have not studied the pre-'07's.  One thing I do know is that if you are putting in an air cleaning system that has oil in it then be very careful that you DO NOT OVER OIL IT!  Excess oil can gum things up.

Stephen

Edited by SMOG - October/04/11 at 4:44am
hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/11 at 9:39am
I have it on my '06 CVT Cooper with no issues. 
Mitch & Teri
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/11 at 9:04pm
Thanks for the input everyone. I am leaning towards the AFE (dry), but then I also found this Justa Cooper intake/exhaust combo. Any opinions on whether this is any good? Seems like a really good price: http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-just-a-cooper-package.html

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/11 at 9:09pm
Way sells good stuff. To me, it looks pretty good, and an exhaust/intake combo will give you more performance than just an intake. 

But I would defer to Hip Check as the Justacooper modification master. 

On a Justacooper, though, I wouldn't expect to be blown away by the performance gains. 

hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/11 at 9:43pm
I don't know anything about the Way cold air intake, but I have the Megan exhaust. It is a straight pipe so it is quite a bit loader than the stock exhaust. After having it installed I drove it up a big hill and the sound was too much. I took it back to the shop and they welded in a small resonater and now I love it. I get a lot of compliments on the sound. I also noticed a performance improvement.

Mitch
Mitch & Teri
swpars View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swpars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/11 at 10:25pm
How much extra performance do you want to get out of your Justa?

In terms of sheer performance for the buck, it might make sense to sell and get a Cooper S. There are a couple decent R53 S 6-speeds out on the Seattle craigslist right now.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/2631437914.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/2607522179.html

Edited by swpars - October/04/11 at 10:27pm
'12 Mini Cooper 6AT
'04 BMW 330i 6MT

Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/11 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by swpars swpars wrote:

In terms of sheer performance for the buck, it might make sense to sell and get a Cooper S. There are a couple decent R53 S 6-speeds out on the Seattle craigslist right now.

If it wasn't for the used sales tax, it would be tempting to sell and buy an S. 

Ashley - Have you or the previous owner had any issues with the CVT? I know they've got a lot of bad rap in the early years (prior to '04). I was quite shocked when I heard what it costs to replace the tranny. It's quite astronomical... It's something you might want to read about if you haven't already.
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/11 at 11:14pm
I haven't had issues, and the carfax didn't show any big work done on it, I know CVT's have a bad rep. Luckily I bought a 4 year warranty when I bought the car so if anything happens to the tranny here's hoping it's before that time/mileage is up.

This is really all that I plan on doing to the car, besides some eventual wheels. I am not a track rat, I just want a little more gusto.

bobbydanger View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbydanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/11 at 11:37pm
for standard coopers a product like these
work very well.
I drove a 2003 cooper for 150,000 miles before I got my current R53 and there are days I wish i still had it.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/11 at 12:20am
Originally posted by Hapa Haole Hapa Haole wrote:

Originally posted by swpars swpars wrote:

If it wasn't for the used sales tax, it would be tempting to sell and buy an S. 

Ashley - Have you or the previous owner had any issues with the CVT? I know they've got a lot of bad rap in the early years (prior to '04). I was quite shocked when I heard what it costs to replace the tranny. It's quite astronomical... It's something you might want to read about if you haven't already.

I didn't know this until we went car shopping to replace the wife's minivan, but there is a use tax credit when you trade in your old car toward the purchase cost of the car you are buying. 
Under this credit, you only pay tax on the amount you actually pay in cash for the car you are buying.

For example, if your trade-in is worth $10,000 and you are buying a car worth $20,000, then you only pay tax on $10,000. If you trade-in is worth more than the car you are buying, you pay no tax at all (but don't get to keep whatever amount your trade-in was worth more than the new car).

This credit is not available when you sell your car to a private party. In some cases, it could be a wash, since you should be able to get a better price on private market. But for more expensive cars that are hard to buy without financing, it might be worth it to avoid the used car "flakey customer hell" that is Craigslist. 

You would basically need to get a 10% better price on the private market than at the dealer. 

shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/11 at 8:16am
Well I made my purchase last night. I originally chose the AFE intake and Megan exhaust through Way Motor Works--Mitch's suggestion. Me, being stupid and tired, chose "local pick up" thinking it would just be shipped to a local post office and not my house, saving me 66 bucks because I saw the costs of the products on the website had included shipping. Then I realized no no...that means pick up in Georgia where they are located :/  So I called Way Motor Works this morning first thing, and the guy was very helpful. He got my shipping method taken care of, told me he will only charge for what it acually costs to ship and not charge a flat rate, and told me that the DDM intake (that comes in the Justa package they offer) actually provides more power than the AFE. They had tested the two and proved the DDM performed better. Since the DDM turns out to be cheaper than the AFE I figured he wasn't jerking me around. In the end, he saved me a good 30 bucks.

I definitely suggest Way for your future performance needs. They have been nothing but helpful

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/11 at 9:42am
Keep us Posted as to how it works out for you.  Did you ask Way Motor Works about his Return Policy?

Twiggles85 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggles85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/11 at 9:49am
Glad it all worked out!  

Good call on Way, I'll be sure to look keep them at the top of the list for mods going forward!
"It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye... then its a sport."
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/11 at 11:01am
Christmas came early for ZIPPY!!!  Thumbs Up

Do keep us posted as I have been comtemplating the cold air intake for my Cooper for sometime now. Don't know if I can go for both intake and exhaust, but maybe one is not that beneficial without the other ???  Anyway, very interested to know how your's works out!

Merry Christmas! Wink
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/11 at 11:20am
Will keep ya posted! Intakes are definitely more beneficial with a good exhaust...but its not necessary. Zippy is definitely one lucky car getting all this before christmas! I just couldn't take the excitement anymore!

shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/11 at 3:51pm
Upon looking at the fixes he made to my order via email, I noticed he tagged on a coupon code taking 11 bucks off my order. Makes me feel good when I see good customer service!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>