Forum Home Forum Home > Autocross and Racing > Performance Driving/Track Days
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hot Laps at PGP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot Laps at PGP
    Posted: December/23/11 at 10:15am
I thinking about heading out to PGP to do some hot laps on the carting course. According to their web page you get 6 hot laps on the carting course, with timing for $25.  They slot you in between the cart sessions.

Anybody else interested in heading out there Wednesday? (they are closed Monday and Tuesday) I would like to try a couple sessions in the Coupe now that we are through break in.
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
Willcoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willcoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/11 at 10:20am
I wish I would have saw this before I decided to work on wednesday.
R53MAO View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R53MAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/11 at 10:36am
I wish I wasnt working on wednesday!  Im gonna have to try this some weekend!
2006 Astro black cooper S with matt black stripes and red mirror caps. 15%, pully alta CAI, Alta IC diverter w/ sprayer, one ball exhaust.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/11 at 12:38pm
I would love to try this on Thursday but I am not free on Wednesday...
R53MAO View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R53MAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/11 at 3:34pm
We should try to make an event out of this sometime! Everybody go to the track and do some laps for fun!  Stay longer, play longer!
2006 Astro black cooper S with matt black stripes and red mirror caps. 15%, pully alta CAI, Alta IC diverter w/ sprayer, one ball exhaust.
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/11 at 4:20pm
If we get enough, they will block out some time for us to run. I've talked to them about it before and they would gladly put something together for us. We just have to decide what we want to do and get enough members who want to show up and pay for it.

Gordon
Flames, '05 MC Black
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/11 at 6:19pm
How many people/cars are considered 'enough'? 

garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/11 at 10:26am
Kind of depends on what we want to do. Only a couple if we just want some dedicated hot laps, more if we want the track to be ours for the afternoon.

I will see what I can find out on Wednesday.
Gordon
Flames, '05 MC Black
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/11 at 8:01pm
I've adjusted my schedule and I might actually be able to come out for this one on Wednesday. 
What time are you planning on doing this? 
John Dorn (Slyderone) might stop by as well. 
EAR2EAR View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAR2EAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/11 at 9:02am
I might do this too. What time are you thinking?
It's my birthday this week so I get a free karting session too.
Coll
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/11 at 3:34pm
I was going to shoot for mid morning around 10:00. Does that work?
Gordon
Flames, '05 MC Black
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/11 at 7:54pm
I could probably swing that. I guess traffic won't be too bad during that week.
EAR2EAR View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAR2EAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/11 at 5:04pm
That works for me. I'm bringing a small group to do some karting too. It'll be fun rain or shine.
Here's a link to the track if anyone wants to know more about PGP and what the track is like.

http://www.pacificgp.com

Edited by EAR2EAR - December/26/11 at 10:48pm
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/11 at 6:30pm
Ok. i will be there if I can. 

garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/11 at 12:15pm
That was fun. We had 3 MINI's. Corners, Ear2ear, and Hunka. The track was very wet with a steady rain. All 3 of us beat the best wet time on the board with my 1:27.343 being the fastest. It was great to put the coupe through it's paces and see what it can do. I am very impressed, much more balanced than the Cooper was.

We should definitely get a club event together.
Gordon
Flames, '05 MC Black
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/11 at 1:46pm
Yeah it was a blast. 

I would be up for doing this again in a month or so (after replenishment of the "fun budget") if anyone is interested. 

I got a best time of 1:29.003. I attribute my loss to Gordon, to my lack of torque compared to the newer MINIs, and my Dunlop Direzzas tires, which are EXCELLENT in the summer, but not so good in the cold and wet. Yeah, that's it. :-) 

The go karts had slicks on and were REALLY slippery. At the end of the straightaway on our first lap, all three of us spun off the road. We all figured it out though, and managed to put some pretty decent wet lap times. 

Here's video of my fastest lap: 

Use this link instead for HD fullscreen: 

EAR2EAR View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAR2EAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/12 at 9:00am
Video from PGP, roof cam and trackside
Coll

http://youtu.be/j9qqup45aZU
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/12 at 10:10am
Nice video - we can spot our own cars in there as well. 
It looks like you are going a lot faster than I was, on my summer performance tires that were sliding all over the place.
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/12 at 5:15pm
I had more wing time that I thought I did. I didn't realize it was popping up so often.

Gordon
Flames, '05 MC Black
R53MAO View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R53MAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/12 at 10:25am

hey when you guys went to PGP did they have loner helmets or did you need to bring your own?

garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/12 at 1:36pm
They have loaner helmets. If you don't own a head sock you need to buy one for $5. It is washable and reusable.
Gordon
Flames, '05 MC Black
R53MAO View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R53MAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/12 at 2:40pm

Awesome!  Thanks!  The wife and I were thinking of heading up there to do some Hot Laps on saturday.  It would be awesome to meet some other members up there.  Anyone else want to go?

R53MAO View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R53MAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/12 at 8:01am

Nobody wants to come drive the track with us?Disapprove  Too bad, your loss. 

garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/12 at 9:33am
We would love to, but we are going to be out of town on Saturday.

Have fun. It is a hoot!
Gordon
Flames, '05 MC Black
R53MAO View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R53MAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/12 at 9:47am
Headed up to PGP in just a few minutes, hope to see some other minis up there.  Its gonna be a wet nasty day for the track but, oh well, should still be fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply