Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > How To Do It
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

clean oil change

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R53MAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: clean oil change
    Posted: February/13/12 at 1:11pm
Ok, so I change the oil on my R53 myself for the first time, yesterday, and found that when I remove the oil filter housing that I spilled oil from it all down under the exhaust mandifold and on parts of the pasenger axle and suspensionAngry.  Not a horible thing but still anoying especially when trying to reach down into the bottom of the engine compartment to wipe as much of it up as I could.  So my question is this, to those of you who frequently change your own oil, how do you avoid this?  Lay a towel under the filter housing first?  Is there a trick to keeping things a bit cleaner?  Thanks guys!
2006 Astro black cooper S with matt black stripes and red mirror caps. 15%, pully alta CAI, Alta IC diverter w/ sprayer, one ball exhaust.
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/12 at 1:38pm
Yes.  Unscrew the oil filter partially before starting the oil change.  Let it sit a long time to allow air to get in and displace the oil.  Put a rag or paper towel under the filter and remove.  Turn right-side-up immediately after removing and you should be drip free.

Next time you have it out, you will notice there are a couple of channels in the threads to allow for air passage.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
R53MAO View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R53MAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/12 at 2:44pm

Cool thanks!  I had let mine sit for a long time after opening the oil drain plug, because I had to run back to autozone to get the propper sized filter wrench, but I hadnt cracked open the filter housing before.  I will try that next time.  Thanks alot!

2006 Astro black cooper S with matt black stripes and red mirror caps. 15%, pully alta CAI, Alta IC diverter w/ sprayer, one ball exhaust.
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/12 at 5:53pm
Draining the oil filter housing by unscrewing it to where you can turn it easily by hand is the first thing you want to do.  I also take the oil fill cap off, thinking that helps somehow.  Dumb, probably, but I just do it.

I found some oil absorbent pads that I put over stuff under the filter housing.  Then I finish removing it with a paper towel and usually that keeps the mess really light.

Good luck.

Worst oil change ever - TR-6 with a factory side mounted 5" oil canister, big bolt thru the middle holding everything together. The can seated against a very fine 5" O-ring that wouldn't stay put, even with a generous application of Vaseline.  Three tries before the O-ring and canister all matched up.  Oil all over the whole garage.

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/12 at 6:24pm
I used to use some alumnium foil to build a trough from below the filter to the oil catch pan - caught most of the oil but not all.   Also recall that the oil needed to be at a very warm tempreture to drain completly.  And I had a couple of cars with the big o-rings but they were square in cross section - a real challenge to get them seated properly and even a little too much hand tightening would cause them to pinch and leak. 
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Dave's not here View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave's not here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/12 at 7:20pm
[Worst oil change ever - TR-6 with a factory side mounted 5" oil canister, big bolt thru the middle holding everything together. The can seated against a very fine 5" O-ring that wouldn't stay put, even with a generous application of Vaseline.  Three tries before the O-ring and canister all matched up.  Oil all over the whole garage.  QUOTE]

Pat, I believe that falls under the general heading of British humor!

5 race wins, 2 in the rain. 2nd in ICSCC G Production Championship 2005 and 2006. Now I'm just gonna drive the MINI.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/12 at 9:23pm
Waiting before removing the filter canister works great. 
Always change the oil when it is warm, to allow more of it to drain to the oil pan faster. 

I usually crack the filter cover first thing and don't fully remove it for about 15 minutes. 
I have it mastered to where I don't spill a single drop. 
As you unscrew past the last thread, slowly roll the filter canister over so the open end is facing up and then pull up and out of the engine compartment. You can do it without spilling a single drop. 

If you get a dipstick oil extractor, you can change oil in the MINI without even raising up the car and without spilling even a single drop of oil. 
(Of course, keep a few shop rags on hand to catch the odd drip of oil!) 

This is the opposite of changing oil on the Toyota Prius. There is no way to change that filter without making a huge mess. It is attached to the engine block sideways and oil goes everywhere the moment it is loosened. 
Carmen View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/12 at 3:42am
Spreading a baby diaper out underneath also works well - highly absorbent and cheap!

A box from Costco will last several hundred thousand miles.
2008 MCS : almost 92k miles, full Service Bulletin SIM 11 02 07 performed at 63,964 by a Mini dealer. So far, so good.
Jasper View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/12 at 6:21pm

I'm debating about trying to change my oil versus having the dealer do it.  Either way I need to change the oil more frequently.   

Has anyone used a "top side oil changer" or something similar?  I have an 2007 but I'm assuming a MINI is a MINI is a MINI...  We are all bound by gravity and have to deal with the same oil issue.  In an ideal world I wouldn't have to prop the car on its side to drain the oil - I'm making a bad joke.   

Video of how to change oil in a 2008 MINI:

Do you think I can get away with just sucking the oil out and replacing it with new oil every 5K miles and go into the dealer at 10K and have them change the oil and filter?  The logic in going in every 10K miles was to have them inspect the car, since I've gone 16K miles without an oil change before (I didn't know any better) I was thinking it was safe to not replace the filter so frequently, am I wrong?

Thanks,
Jasper

Edited by Jasper - April/26/12 at 6:31pm
07 JCW Dark Grey with black top
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/12 at 7:13pm
Jasper, yes to the oil change and the dealer for the filter at 10k.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/12 at 7:26pm
A big +1 for that thought!  
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/12 at 10:29pm
I have a top side oil changer and makes the job much less painful, especially with the MINI filter being oriented in such a way that it can be removed without making a huge mess. (all of the Japanese cars I have ever owned, removing the oil filter causes a mini Valdez oil spill under the car). 

Unless you have a very severe duty cycle, there is no harm in changing the filter less frequently than changing the oil. When I lived in Japan, they would ask me if I wanted to replace the filter when I took our Toyota Estima minivan in for a oil change. Very common practice there to not change the filter each oil change.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/12 at 6:33am
After reading the above Posts I am still laughing about Carmen's Miles Per Diaper reference and Onramp's 5" remote mount oil filter which reminded me of the toilet paper filter canisters that were available as an aftermarket filter idea (not a good one), "British Humor" indeed!!  LOLLOL
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
DneprDave View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DneprDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/12 at 8:55am
They still make those toilet paper oil filters!

I still have one new in the box, from the '60s. I think my dad bought it and never installed it.

Dave
Chili red/ Black roof 2010 Clubman S automatic transmission.

Shadetree mechanic
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/12 at 9:04am
WOW!  That sure is a blast from the past!!

Charmin?????

Post Reply Post Reply