Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Dealer Discussions > Service Discussions and Questions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Best bet for front & rear brakes and an o2 sensor
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best bet for front & rear brakes and an o2 sensor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evilnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best bet for front & rear brakes and an o2 sensor
    Posted: March/17/12 at 10:22am
I've been calling around (Firestone, Eurocar, etc.) and everyone seems extremely expensive for a F&R pad/rotor/sensor job and replacement of an o2 sensor which is throwing a CE light. 

Do any of your have advice on other places to check?

Thanks,
Nik
italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/12 at 10:36am
I need to get my front rotors done too
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/12 at 11:33am
Your O2 sensor may be covered under a extended service bulletin, what year is your car?

Brakes and rotors are an easy DIY , Pat and Kurt both help members do these kind of repairs.  If it wasn't for the shipping I have a brand new set of stock rotors that I most likely will sell.

John
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Evilnik View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evilnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/12 at 1:21pm
My MINI is a 2005 S with ~47k miles or so. 
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/12 at 1:28pm
You should be covered on the O2 sensor.

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/12 at 1:29pm
Well John, how much are you looking to get?

2013 GP

valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/12 at 2:06pm
+1 for brakes and rotors being an easy job with a few simple tools. Search any MINI forums and you will find ample info about how to do a brake job.  Unless you are completely all thumbs brakes should be an easy job.  02 sensor should be fairly easy too.  You'll find lots of help from people on here as well.  It's the labor at most places that will kill you, so it pays to learn to do it yourself.

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/12 at 2:15pm
I guess 40 bucks for the set , but shipping would probably make it not worth it, when would you need them.

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/12 at 2:19pm
John. Sounds good to me. No shipping is needed. I'm just gonna do a short road trip

2013 GP

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/12 at 2:23pm
Okay, I have to run to dinner I will get back to you, sounds good.

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/12 at 3:02pm
Roger, John.

2013 GP

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/12 at 5:22pm
Glad to help if you want to DIY.  We should talk about how you drive, what to spend, that kind of thing.  I suspect your rears might be fine with that mileage, but I have seen them worn down at that mileage too.  We can mike your rotors to see how worn as well.  Let me know.  Time is getting a bit limited with the HPDE season starting.  Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/12 at 5:52pm
I have a complete new set of calipers, rotors, pads and sensors for a 2011 "S" that were removed by the dealer before delivery and replaced with JCW BBK.

They are probably larger than yours and I am not sure they fit.  Do some homework and if you want them send me a PM.

Stephen

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/12 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

Your O2 sensor may be covered under a extended service bulletin, what year is your car?

Brakes and rotors are an easy DIY , Pat and Kurt both help members do these kind of repairs.  If it wasn't for the shipping I have a brand new set of stock rotors that I most likely will sell.

John

I can replace an O2 sensor also.

Rough estimates for parts pricing(REEALLY rough - I am just guessing here without checking) : 
O2 sensor I believe is about $150. 

Brake sensors are about $20 each end of the car. 
Pads- depends on what you want, but should be around $60 for the back of the car and $120 or so for the front. 
Rotors are about $120 for the back and $150 for the front. 

I'd recommend getting the brake fluid replaced as well if you haven't done that in the past 2 years. Fluid only costs $7 or so. 

It would probably take around 90 minutes-2 hours to do the brake job.

Depending on which O2 sensor is bad, it could take 15 minutes or 60 minutes.  

You can pay me in peanuts, diet Coke or nothing. My rate is 2 cans per hour. :-) 

Edited by CORNERS - March/17/12 at 8:46pm
Evilnik View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evilnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/12 at 9:17am
Corners, 

That would be awesome! I have peanuts, coke and cash!

I guess I'll go about buying everything - on the o2 sensor is there a way to know which is throwing the code, or is it better to replace both?
Evilnik View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evilnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/12 at 9:28am
I called MINI of Seattle, the o2's are covered under warranty, going under the knife on 4/3. 
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/12 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Evilnik Evilnik wrote:

Corners, 

That would be awesome! I have peanuts, coke and cash!

I guess I'll go about buying everything - on the o2 sensor is there a way to know which is throwing the code, or is it better to replace both?

Sure. I am busy weekends until end of April (!!) but usually have free time during the day M-F. 

Post Reply Post Reply