Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Performance upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rowingscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Performance upgrade
    Posted: March/28/12 at 4:50pm
I have an 08 Mini and would like to upgrade my exhaust and possiblly begin to get some better performance of my engine. I believe in going to those who have loved these cars and not asking a dealer for their recommendation. 

I not exactly a "car man" ,so are there Mini owners out there that could assist on these tasks before I end up putting things in the wrong place . I have been klnown to find several parts lying in a box after I have put everything together----Wow they gave me spare parts routine

thanks  Dave
me@myweb.com
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/12 at 5:25pm
Cooper or Cooper "S"?

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Sanderskog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/12 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by SMOG SMOG wrote:

Cooper or Cooper "S"?

That's the key question.  Plus, exhaust is an expensive place to start.  There are many other options that can be had to eek some joy out of the motors prior to the exhaust.

A good burble is hard to pass up though... Drool

Todd
2012 VW Golf Pirate Edition... Aarrr! - JACK

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/12 at 5:52pm
Good luck getting a burble out of an '08!

My '09 Cooper got the biggest acceleration boost by changing the tire size from a 195x55x16 to a 205x50x16.  It changed the gear ratio's to a lower final drive and gave SMOG-1 a big boost in acceleration around town.  Gas mileage is still very good.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/12 at 6:08pm
Dave start by breaking down the mods into like engine, suspension/braking, interior and exterior. Also pick a goal of where you would like to end up with your car and what you will be wanting to do with it. Example would be daily drive and some fun runs with PS Mini or Watkins Glen, the Glen my take some time and money.

John
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/12 at 7:52pm
With out head work, cams, throttle body and other mods an exhaust is the least bang for your buck.  Follow John's advice, map a plan the keeps engine, suspension, brakes, and personalization mods in balance.  Tires and wheels are a great place to start. 

Smog - what was the circumferential change in the tires ?
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/12 at 8:24pm
I'd be happy to sit down and plan this stuff with you.  I work in Tacoma, live in Renton.  Let me know if you want to talk over options.

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/12 at 8:25pm
Something to keep in mind is the only real restriction on a R56 with a n-14 engine is the necked down downpipe and 400 cell cat.

Thanks Jack.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/12 at 8:30pm
Pat is a Great resource with a lot of knowledge and a great Guy.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/12 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by CINIMIN CINIMIN wrote:

With out head work, cams, throttle body and other mods an exhaust is the least bang for your buck.  Follow John's advice, map a plan the keeps engine, suspension, brakes, and personalization mods in balance.  Tires and wheels are a great place to start. 

Smog - what was the circumferential change in the tires ?

Without doing the math I can't say but the 205x50 is 24.1 dia and the 195x55 is 24.44 dia.

When I went to a 215x17 from the 205x17 in the mcs I noticed a more sluggish performance off the line.  The dia diff there was 24.2 to 24.6 I believe.  The OEM runflats have a smaller dia than the comperable non-runflats.

My N-18 engine had a necked down pipe from after the first Cat and necked down again after the second CAT!!!

Edited by SMOG - March/28/12 at 9:15pm
Rowingscot View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rowingscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/12 at 8:15am
It's a cooper
me@myweb.com
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/12 at 8:21am
Stick shift or automatic?

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/12 at 9:00am
Suspension, lighter wheels, reusable air filter and Brakes Thumbs Up

Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/12 at 11:52am
light wheels = less unsprung weight and more torque. Made a huge difference on my R53 when I dropped 6lbs per wheel.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/12 at 1:59pm
Yes, my R-56 Cooper had a noticeable increase in zip when I was using lighter wheels.  For the 205x50x16 wheel/tire combo I am using Rota RB wheels and they are considerably lighter than the stock wheels.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/12 at 6:03pm
New wheels made a huge difference for my MINI as well. I still use the wheels for my snow tires and it feels like the car is 300 pounds heavier. I really notice the difference in off the line performance and there is a noticeable turn-in delay as well. 

Plus they look great! 
DneprDave View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DneprDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/12 at 7:32pm
Stephen,

I really like those Rota RB wheels. What color are the centers, hyper black, or gunmetal?

Dave
Chili red/ Black roof 2010 Clubman S automatic transmission.

Shadetree mechanic
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/12 at 7:43pm
Dave:

Thanks.  Those WERE gunmetal and I thought them to be to dark to I sanded and resprayed them Dark Bronze with DupliColor rattle cans from Westbay Auto in Port Orchard.

S.

PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rowingscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/12 at 8:46am
Auto  thanks for getting back to me    I running 205/45zr-17    in the spring and summer    
me@myweb.com
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/12 at 9:04am
I had that tire combination on my Cooper Automatic and liked it.  They were the Bridgestones Summer Performance tires RE-760 205x45x17 with an overall diameter of 24.3", BUT I had lite weight wheels.

These are the wheels I had on it.

http://www.upgrademotoring.com/wheels/PIAA/euro_tech.htm

Edited by SMOG - March/30/12 at 9:08am
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rowingscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/12 at 1:34pm
Pat,   I live in University Place and work on JBLM. Perhaps we could meet sometime next week. I have a few days off the first part of next week during the day and evening till Wednesday evening. If you have time maybe we could meet after you finish work or I would gladly meet you in Renton. My regular email is Rowwingscot@gmail.com.

Thanks    Dave Robertson
me@myweb.com
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rowingscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/12 at 1:37pm
At least I'm in the ball park with the tires . I guess the suspension or reusable air filter next- I'm still feeling the need fora little noise out the back end.
me@myweb.com
 Post Reply Post Reply