Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Countryman Tire Replacement Options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Countryman Tire Replacement Options
    Posted: May/22/12 at 11:06am
It's already getting close to the time to replace the OEM tires on our Countryman S All4 and I'm finding there there is a VERY limited selection of tires available in the OEM size (205/55/17) particularly in the All Season Performance variety. There is however a huge selection available if I moved to a 225/50/17 or the 205/50/17. I'd like to go to the 225/50/17 as the outside diameter and revolutions per mile are nearly identical to the OEM tire size (the 205/50/17 has a smaller diameter and RPM rate). Does anyone know if there would be any fitment issues moving to a 225 from the 205? I don't imagine there would be, but would like confirmation if somebody knows the answer.

Thanks,

Martin
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/12 at 11:32am
Worn out already? Driving on the ragged edge all the time will do that to tires. :-) 

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/12 at 1:38pm
Racing harnesses on the child seats???

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/12 at 2:33pm
chatted with Tire Rack and the 225/50/17 will replace the OEM 205/55/17 just fine...and put a little more meat on the road.
'80 Mini English White
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/12 at 4:36pm
Normally I would take any advice from a tire shop with a grain of salt ("trust, but verify") but Tire Rack advice is as good as gold. 
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/12 at 6:34pm
So Maritn - now that you have a size- what tires are you considring?  I'm thinking about new tires for KMOSABE before Stonehenge...
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/12 at 1:28pm
Jack, I'll probably go with the Continental Extreme Contact DSW since we use the car for daily transport. It's supposed to be a great high performance all-season tire and the treadwear looks pretty good too. Also might consider the Falken ZX912. We had those on the Clubman and they were pretty good tires and a great price.
'80 Mini English White
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/12 at 2:57pm
Martin,
I just got a set of those a little while back.  Round and quiet.  The ride seems to be a little less harsh too.

Worked well in the snow and rain.  I like them.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/12 at 11:38am
I do not like my DWS's and am trying to burn them up as fast as possible. Many people like them though. Researching recently for a friend of mine I uncovered these Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT
and they are getting very good press/reviews. Might be worth a try. DWS probably has better snow traction. Mine have good snow traction as long as you are going straight. Cornering in snow, not so fun. And of course those Potenzas are not in your size so ignore the above :) (sorry, didn't realize this when I wrote out my post).

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/12 at 5:40pm
Hey Martin - Did you get the 205/50/17 Continental Extreme Contact DSWs for your Countryman?  Any comments pro or con?

Kemosabe seems to have a slow leak in the left front and I'm looking for a reason to switch to better tires - maybe before Sonthenge.
Jack -

swpars View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swpars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/12 at 9:55pm
Really happy with the DWS's on the BMW...225/45-17 on the front, 245/40-17 on the rear. 20k miles on them so far, looks like I'll get another 30-40k out of them easy.

I only wish there were DWS's available that'd fit the stock skinny 15 inch rims on the Cooper.
'12 Mini Cooper 6AT
'04 BMW 330i 6MT

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/12 at 10:00pm
Good info - thanks.  You are saying maybe 60K miles without rotating front to rear due to different sizes? 
Looking specifically for any clearance issues on a Countryman -
Jack -

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/12 at 7:03am
So what are you folks doing in those Countrymen that is wearing out tires so fast?
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/12 at 7:24am
Rob - still OK tread left - but a slow leak might provide an opportunity to upgrade to better non runflat tires...
Jack -

PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/12 at 7:31am
Jack...waiting still summer ends to get the new tires. The OEM tires are getting down on tread but still grippy enough for summer driving and with the ALL4 suprisingly much better grip in the rain and wet than when the Cooper(s) were low on tread. I'll go with a 225/50/17 when we replace though...confirmed with Tire Rack that there are no fitment issues going to that size.
'80 Mini English White
minicommittee View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minicommittee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/13 at 10:22am
Jack,
I had been dealing with a slow leak in one of mine...turned out at first they had the tpms stem or some part of it in wrong...might want to have it checked out.
Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/14 at 1:04pm
Our 2011 Countryman will need new tires soon. Jack, Martin, others, what did you choose in the way of new tires. What do you recommend?
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/14 at 5:44pm
Still a big fan of the Conti DWS. Great tire in the rain and snow but still good in normal conditions. Quiet, responsive and wears well. Price is reasonable for a top tier tire. Can't go wrong with it.
'80 Mini English White
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/14 at 7:22pm
Roy - Also went with the Conti DWS - No traction issues at all.  Also have them on CINIMIN and they will be the next tires on Woodstock. 
Jack -

hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/14 at 7:59pm
I'm happy with my Toyo Proxies 4+, but I'm running 19" wheels.
Mitch & Teri
<font color=BLUE>2006 Cooper Checkmate[/COLOR]
<font color=RED>2013 JCW Countryman[/COLOR]
leogetz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leogetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/14 at 10:26pm
During the warmer months i'm running Bridestone S-04 Pole Position tires, and am very happy with them. Like Mitch I too am running 19" wheels
GREYSEN - '12 Countryman S All4 - Royal Grey w/ Black Roof, Stripes and Trim (no chrome) - Premium, Cold Weather & Sport Pkgs - NM Eng RSe14 Wheels - JCW Exhaust - LED Fog Lights
Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/14 at 12:37pm
Thanks guys for the feedback, good information.
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
 Post Reply Post Reply