Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OEM springs & new shocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/13 at 5:26pm
Way cool, Brother.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/13 at 6:29pm
I am pretty sure those strut plate bushings got abused whenwe took the MINI on a run around the backside of Mt. Rainier with the Club and hit a swale in the road and almost went airborne.  Couldn't see the darn thing in the shade.

Sure makes me happy to know that I am not about to loose pieces in the road....
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/13 at 12:27pm
Hooray.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/13 at 12:31pm
Hooray indeed! 

I once had a lower A-Arm cut loose and A-Arm, spring and all hit the street when I was traveling 5-10mph in reverse, right after an 80mph run down coast highway!  That would have made the news!!!

I have been a very lucky fellow in all things, generally.

WooHoo

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/13 at 9:04pm
Well, they are back!!!  The little clunking noises and I am sure will grow to big clunks....  Damn, if it is the top strut plates, again then it must be something with a compatibility issue with the Sport Suspension Upgrade/Option and Koni not playing well together.  So ripping out the Koni's and putting back the OEM Bilstiens.......  Oh well, bumpy ride for peace of mind and intact top strut platesILL
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/13 at 5:02pm
UPDATE to the saga of the CLUNK with the FSD's.

A fellow on Motoring Alliance who has a shop in SoCal responded by saying he has installed many FSD's and the main cause of a clunk was missing installation of the washers under the bearing.  I knew that was not the problem, but he said call him.  I did that, and he has been in the car/hotrod business for many years and he said it could be the top nut is working loose.  I checked and he was right, the nut was ever so slightly loose.  He recommended tightening it to 8lb higher than spec and call him back with the findings.  It seems to have worked!  His suggestion was to drive it a while and let him know if that solved the mystery and if it comes back, over a month or so, try removing the nut and putting blue locktite on the threads and re-torque.

I think he is right since it immediately cured the clunk.  Seemed like a good guy that apparently knew his stuff!  http://www.motoringmagic.com/  His name is Scott.  He installs stuff, like heads and internals, for Jan B.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/13 at 7:45pm
Good news and good to hear. 
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/13 at 8:04pm
I am relieved that I can keep the FSD's since they improved the ride so dramatically.  The car really feel planted on the road without spending thousands of dollars on suspension, and then having to deal with a lowered MINI that will not make it over the hospital speed bumps or my driveway.

If you find yourself in SoCal and need a mechanic I would recommend that guy since Jan's always booked/overbooked.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/13 at 12:48pm
I found the CLUNK was actually failed FSD's.!!!  So now Koni has inspected them and agreed to replace under warranty.

Really looking forward to getting them back onto SMOG-2 because the ride is soooo much better.

Not looking forward to the install again, but at least I know how to do it now!

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/13 at 1:15pm
How did you figure that out?
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/13 at 2:07pm
First I tried tightening the top strut nut; it helped but still continued to get worse.

I then tried removing the top strut bearing and replacing that; same exact result as first attempt.

Then I put the stock struts back into the car; problem gone.  So it was not my installation practices.

I sent the shocks back to Koni where they tore them apart (I assume) to do an analysis and sent me an email saying they were defective and were going to replace them.

I should have sent them to Koni first...

Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/13 at 2:25pm
Well that is good news. Heck of a way to find out, but still good news. Should be a snap installing this time since youve done it before.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/13 at 4:20pm
About 3 hrs. for both front struts if I use my lift.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/14 at 6:48pm
I am giving up on the Koni's.  The replacement set is starting to clunk again. 

I am sure there is a difference between the older than '07 MINI's and the 2011 MINI so comparing what MINI is calling "Sport Suspension" to was was available then would be pretty different.

I noticed that with the newer Bilstiens they have a category for standard suspension and "Sport Suspension"!!  Apparently someone else has figured out what MINI is doing.  I know the MINI sits higher by 5/8" than our '09 Cooper, and it rides a whole lot harder(Sport Suspension), very jarring in fact!  It rode firm but smooth with the FSD's but they will come apart at some point in time with that darn clunking...

Now to decide which springs to put on the Bilstiens.  Tempting to put on the OEM springs since I like the ride height.

UPDATE:  The B6 Bilsteins designated for the "Sport Suspension" will work with the OEM SS Springs.  The B8's work with lowering springs.

Edited by SMOG - March/06/14 at 7:08pm
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/14 at 8:15pm
Good to know that the FSD's aren't holding up. I'm not happy with mine, the ride was definitely more compliant, but also got more bouncy, like the rebound damping isn't as good. I think I'm gonna go the route Kurt did with the Megan coilovers at some point, see how those work.
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/14 at 9:43pm
You guys both have R53's and I think they are a different beast.  Don't you track your car too?

I just drive the streets and sometimes in a spirited manner, but no track stuff.

I also have no desire to drag the belly of the car on speed bumps, driveway aprons or humps in a dirt road (yes, I go on dirt roads from time to time).

Megans sound like a good track solution though!

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/14 at 6:44pm
Megans can be adjusted as high or low or as soft or hard as you want, but they are stiffer than stock because they use solid bearings for the strut tower bearings. 
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/14 at 5:03am
Kurt, doesn't that solid top strut bearing (no rubber) tear up other things in the car if it is used as a daily driver?  I can imagine plastic parts and screws falling from some mysterious place inside and outside the car as one drives down our wonderfully potholed streets, sort of like a shower of unknown parts.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/14 at 12:08am
I suppose the solid bearings are not the best choice for a daily driver. My car smooths over the smaller bumps just fine butt it probably bounces a good tire width if I hit a pothole, etc. - I am a very active driver and very rarely hit anything like that, but it's a pretty good jolt. 

H&R street coilovers reuse your existing strut tower bearings so it feels very much like a stock ride, but better. 
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/14 at 5:00am
Thanks for the tip Kurt.  If I have to go the coilover route the H&R's will probably be the way I go.  Lots of people seem to like them for daily drivers.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/14 at 4:04pm
Kurt, Pat, or anybody for that matter, on Bilsteins shocks I have found out the the FRONT struts do have built in bump stops.

The rears apparently do NOT have them and the OEM must be used.  When I was starting to install the springs on the new REAR shocks/struts I noticed that although the bump stop will fit on the shaft of the strut the other rubber components that fit on and above the upper spring plate seem sloppy because their hole size is larger.  These rubber components are between the upper spring plate and the mounting plate.

The strut shaft and the upper mounting assembly are pretty vague in the Bentley Manual.  The Bilsteins have a threaded shaft that goes through the upper spring plate but the smooth part of the shaft does not go through that plate.

Ideas??

The fronts were very straight forward and I have them ready to install.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/14 at 4:37pm

Are you saying the strut is so narrow that it fits through the hole in the hat at the top of the spring? 

I am having trouble visualizing. Can you take a picture?

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/14 at 6:23pm
I will try to get a photo tomorrow.  I think I figured it out although the very top rubber bushing(?) has a hole in it that is to large for that threaded shaft.

I put one together so tomorrow I will photograph the other as I remove and replace the spring.

I found this but it does not show those parts and I for sure would not remove any spring, especially the "Sport Suspension" springs without a compressor.  http://www.motoringalliance.com/library/1st-generation-mini-cooper-how-to-3/replace-strut-springs-67/#axzz2vcK9dweL  I know it is for 1st Gen but it sort of applies.

BTW, the ratchet straps are a very nice way to compress those rear springs that have coils so close together and are difficult/impossible to get the spring compressor in between the coils.  Thanks for that tip!

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Edited by SMOG - March/10/14 at 6:31pm
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/14 at 6:58am
Kurt, I messed up the order of the rubber things and all is well now.  Does a torque of 19 Ft pounds sound right for the rear center strut retaining nuts?

Love using this!

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/14 at 4:37pm
Kurt, et al, here is the before and after.

Before.

After.

It did lower it about an inch.  After an alignment and a few miles I will measure it.  Just barely clears my driveway now....

It rides a wee bit softer than the OEM Sport Suspension, no jarring hits on small bumps.  Rides more firmly than the Koni FSD's on the OEM Sport Suspension springs and not as comfortable as that setup.  Sadly those shocks with the OEM Sport Suspension springs did not work.

Edited by SMOG - March/11/14 at 4:40pm
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/14 at 4:05am
When I was putting in the rear shocks/struts one of the bolts felt like it was going to break (got a bit squisshy when getting close to torque spec which is 122 ft #) so I am replacing that bolt.  But it has been brought to my attention that it might be the trailing arm stripping!  Now that is not good!!

Are there any fixes for that without replacing the trailing arm?

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/14 at 6:12pm
UPDATE:  It was not the bolt that was failing, it was the threads in the trailing arm, which I feared it may be.

After removing the bolt and measuring it and the hole through the struts (OEM, Bilstein & Koni) the hole was 15.5mm, the bolt threads are 14mm and the smooth section of the strut bolt was 13.3mm.  So that raises questions.

1.  A bolt with a smooth section of 14 or 15mm would slide through the strut easily so why not use a larger bolt?

2.  With a larger bolt then the hole that is stripped in the Trailing Arm could be tapped out larger and torqued to spec couldn't it?

3.  I measured every possible way for clearance of a nut with washer on the wheel side of that Trailing Arm with both sets of wheels, the OEM and the Team Dynamics, and there would be zero interference by using a nut and washer, so why not a longer bolt that went through everything??

Any thoughts?
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/14 at 6:45am
Sounds familiar. When we were installing my new springs last month one of the bolts stripped as well when reinstalling through one of the rear trailing arms. The aluminum threads are really soft and you have to be very careful. By the time we realized it was stripped it was too late. I just kept turning and got it tight. It did end up torquing down fine in the end but I'm sure if I ever have to replace the strut I'll need to either tap it out and use a longer bolt or replace the trailing arm.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/14 at 7:24am
A longer 14mm bolt, a lock washer and nut would work fine.  Considering the vibrational forces here, some loctite (even with the lock washer) might be good.  Make sure the bolt and nut are rated for that much torque.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/14 at 11:21am
Did it!  I ground a small flat spot for the washer and nut on the wheel side of the Trailing Arm.  Ran a 14mm tap through the trailing arm.  Got a 10.9 grade 14mm bolt long enough to do it and then had to run a die down it far enough to get proper thread length on the bolt.

Stay tuned.  Going to get an alignment ASAP.

The overall lowering is 9/16 inch , but I suspect more with settling.

Now the car sits more level and does not have that "stink bug" look of being higher in the back end.

Edited by SMOG - March/13/14 at 1:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12