Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Removing the Resonator on a Stock R56 Exhaust

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoHack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing the Resonator on a Stock R56 Exhaust
    Posted: September/06/12 at 9:02pm
Would removing the Resonator from the stock exhaust on a R56 provide any benefits, be it sound or exhaust flow?

Looking at the June/July 2012 issue of the publication MC2, in the article "Suck, Squeeze, Bang, and Blow", on page 31, they show the Resonator, or Silencer, removed.

'10 JCW (Stage 1)R56;6 Spd MT;JCW Eng Perf Kit;NM Torq Arm Insrt;NM Discharge Pipe;Drk Silv Metallic/Blk Rf;JCW Blk Trim;Blk R104 Whls;Blk Leather Punch Carbon Seats;Sport Pk;Cld Climate Pk;No Sunroof
GoHack View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoHack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/12 at 9:08pm
By the way, does anyone have the directions, or know someplace that has it posted, for the install of the JCW Exhaust on an R56 Mini S, such as where to cut the stock exhaust and such?

Thanks
'10 JCW (Stage 1)R56;6 Spd MT;JCW Eng Perf Kit;NM Torq Arm Insrt;NM Discharge Pipe;Drk Silv Metallic/Blk Rf;JCW Blk Trim;Blk R104 Whls;Blk Leather Punch Carbon Seats;Sport Pk;Cld Climate Pk;No Sunroof
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/12 at 4:46am
I have never seen a spec for the cut line but if I had a JCW exhaust I would lay it on the ground, alongside the OEM exhaust, and make a mark for where to cut.

Remove Resonator = > Db

Edited by SMOG - September/07/12 at 7:45am
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
GoHack View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoHack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/12 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by SMOG SMOG wrote:

I have never seen a spec for the cut line but if I had a JCW exhaust I would lay it on the ground, alongside the OEM exhaust, and make a mark for where to cut.

Remove Resonator = > Db

What I need the specs for is so I know where to cut for the removal of the resonator. I don't want to cut more than I need. I also don't have a JCW Exhaust yet for which to measure and I would imagine that a set of directions exist's that shows where to cut w/it. 
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/12 at 12:48pm
There are no specs for such a thing. 
Just cut behind and in front of the resonator and put in a section of straight pipe. You just need to cut it such that you can weld in the straight pipe and the weld points or clamps won't get in the way of anything else. Inspect the exhaust while it's mounted on the car to figure out the best place to cut. I don't have a R56 but depending on the setup, it might be advantageous to take out a longer chunk of pipe. 

You might want to leave a few inches of pipe on either side of the resonator as well, in case you ever want to put it back in. 

ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/12 at 1:13pm
I had the dealer do the JCW Tuning Kit and I kept the stock S exhaust. I still have it.

So... if you want to come over, climb under my MINI, and take your own measurements from the car and the old stock exhaust you are welcome to. I am near Issaquah and have a January 2008 delivery MCSa.

Bring your own crawler as I don't have one ;)

GoHack View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoHack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/12 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by ipeverywhere ipeverywhere wrote:

I had the dealer do the JCW Tuning Kit and I kept the stock S exhaust. I still have it.

So... if you want to come over, climb under my MINI, and take your own measurements from the car and the old stock exhaust you are welcome to. I am near Issaquah and have a January 2008 delivery MCSa.

Bring your own crawler as I don't have one ;)

Thanks, I found Seattle Mini has one on display that I can go and measure.

NAPA has the clamps, and now I have to find an exhaust shop that can/will do the job for a decent price. One Midas shop quoted me $110.00. I was thinking more around $75.

With your JCW Tuning Kit, did they remove the Resonator on your Mini, when the dealer installed your exhaust, or did you?

Finally, w/the Kit, which dealer did yours, Seattle or Northwest? I've heard, or read that Northwest mechanics/technicians, are more experienced w/modifiying Mini's. Is this true?

Thanks
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/12 at 6:01am
Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

Just cut behind and in front of the resonator and put in a section of straight pipe. You just need to cut it such that you can weld in the straight pipe and the weld points or clamps won't get in the way of anything else.

On my pipe there is a slight difference in pipe size before and after the resonator.  So, do worry if you notice that when you are measuring things because welding will fill the difference because the difference is small.  If you are not using calipers to measure you probably will not notice the difference.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
GoHack View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoHack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/12 at 7:39am

Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

Just cut behind and in front of the resonator and put in a section of straight pipe. You just need to cut it such that you can weld in the straight pipe and the weld points or clamps won't get in the way of anything else.

On my pipe there is a slight difference in pipe size before and after the resonator.  So, do worry if you notice that when you are measuring things because welding will fill the difference because the difference is small.  If you are not using calipers to measure you probably will not notice the difference.

I brought my calipers home from work in order to measure the diameter. I'll take a measurement, both before and after the Resonator, if I can reach under there. Wink

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/12 at 4:19pm
I just went out to the shop and measured the difference between the in and output pipes on the resonator; no difference.  The difference was between the in and out on the second CAT.  My mistake!  Sorry for the confusion :-)

GoHack View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoHack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/12 at 4:51pm

I just went out to the shop and measured the difference between the in and output pipes on the resonator; no difference.  The difference was between the in and out on the second CAT.  My mistake!  Sorry for the confusion :-)

I went and measured mine, using dial calipers, and got a diameter measurement of approximately 2.175" (55.245mm), both fore and aft of the Resonater. 

Edited by GoHack - September/08/12 at 5:01pm
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/12 at 5:44pm
That was about what I got too.

ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/12 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by GoHack GoHack wrote:

With your JCW Tuning Kit, did they remove the Resonator on your Mini, when the dealer installed your exhaust, or did you?

Finally, w/the Kit, which dealer did yours, Seattle or Northwest?]

It's stock install so if the dealer didn't remove it, it is still there.

I had mine done at Otto's MINI in West Chester (now Exton) PA before moving to Seattle so can't comment on the two NW dealers. I can say I love Otto's! Seattle service department has been very good to Alsatia since moving here. I have not taken her To NW as they are further away mainly.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/12 at 1:23pm
That sounds like 2 inches inside diameter. Pretty standard. 
GoHack View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoHack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/12 at 11:04am
Removing the Resonator has fallen to the wayside for the moement, as I plan on having the JCW Engine Persomance Kit installed.

With the JCW's Performance Kit, only the Aft Exhaust, w/the muffler, gets replaced.  With other after market exhausts, they either replace the entire exhaust from the second Cat back, or at the forward Cat. Anyone make a forward pipe for the JCW's Exhaust?

I've also read that the Factory JCW's Package only comes w/one Cat, vs. the two for the MCS, w/the R56 series of Minis. Is this true, and if so, why?

What about replacing the stock Cat's w/an market Free Flowing Cat? Any advantages?

I use to have an Audi A4, on which I replaced the entire exhaust. I remove the Cat and replaced it w/a Test Tube. It passed the Emissions Test, but was way too loud for me, and as such, I had a Free Flowing Cat installed, which helped alot.

Post Reply Post Reply