Forum Home Forum Home > Events > Events Archives > Charity Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMINI Porsche Challenge III - Event Date: December/01/12

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: MINI Porsche Challenge III
    Posted: October/19/12 at 12:57pm

MINI/Porsche Challenge III

I

Can you believe we are going into our third year for this Battle of the BEASTS! All to serve our community. Regardless, MINI owner or Porsche owner, looking back on this Charity Event brings a HUGE SMILE to my face and to Larry Nelson's face.

This years event is Scheduled for DEC. 1, 2012!!!!

Meeting point will hopefully be the same: at Overlake Christian Church, 9900 Willows Road NE, Redmond, WA at 12:00 PM NOON.

Here are two CAR CLUBS representing two very different cars. One Club has a MASSIVE MEMBERSHIP and the other is kind of an UPSTART by comparison. The COMMON GROUND------------A PASSION FOR OUR COMMUNITY AND A WILLINGNESS TO IMPROVE IT!!!!

When I look back at the previous events, this veil of competition is really easy to see thru. Remembering the faces of the people with cars full of much needed food stuffs and shaking hands with people as they present checks is just AWESOME. Knowing our collective efforts feed a huge number of families that unfortunately can't get by without NW Harvest is just a great feeling. It's easy to see this caring feeling reflected in the eyes of each participant.

OK, for newbie's and a refresher for past participants:

What is this? How did it start?

It is: It a community effort to raise food and money for NW Harvest.

It started: By an innocent article in a local PCA magazine, Spiel, by the Social Chair and Director at Large of the PCA, Larry Nelson.

The article mentioned the effort of a much smaller club, PSMINI, in donating to NW Harvest. All good, right? But it went on to tout the “SIZE and STRENGTH” of his club, the Pacific North West Region of the Porsche Club of America. All good again, but?

It sounded to some that they (PNWR) could do a much better job in raising food and funds than this little car club (PSMINI). Well, the author didn’t think that someone belonged to both Clubs and was involved in the previous efforts of this much smaller club.

Well, the outcome was a “CHALLENGE” accepted and adopted by both organizations. The effort resulted in over 100 cars participating in each years Challenge. Cars were loaded with food donations plus personal and business checks were written and presented to each club to tally up for this CHALLENGE. The WINNER-----------NW HARVEST!

What more can be said: Both clubs like a little competition. Both have fortunate members that care about their community. Can't wait to see how many cars, pounds of food, and cash donations are raised by these great organizations this year!

BE A PART OF YOUR COMMUNITY-------ENJOY YOUR CAR and YOUR FELLOW CAR NUTS, and come out and receive a very special sense of accomplishment through your generosity.

We are hoping to see everyone from last years “Challenge” plus many more MINI and Porsche owners supporting our community.

Hey, it may rain, so if you drive a Porsche, trust me----the rain won’t hurt the car!!!! If your a MINI Pilot, who cares!!!! MINI'S can handle just about any weather!!!

Cheers!

PS: WATCH FOR MORE DETAILS!!

Edited by Boomer - November/16/12 at 7:33am
07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/12 at 2:46pm
Can you believe we are going into our third year for this Battle of the BEASTS!

I'm a believer and I'm ready to rumble!  Great post Greg - I hope all  who see this will be motivated to participate in this most worthwhile event - and have some fun in the process.  What you will find is that Porsche Owners are a great group and have almost as much fun with their cars as we MINI folks... 

Edited by CINIMIN - October/19/12 at 3:19pm
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/12 at 11:50pm
Awesome! I plan to be there! 

(Note - I moved this thread from "Event Calendar" to "Charity Events" - 
It is also showing on the psmini.org start page!
Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/12 at 1:57pm
I can hardly wait!! I hope we flood the food bins with a loot of food from our boots (MINIs) and bonnets (Porsche). WooHoo
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
BLUEDIA View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BLUEDIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/12 at 12:36am
Sign us up. Can we bring BAGETTE and fill her up???    
Dona & Brad
BLUEDIAMOND, BAGETTE & MINI Me 2016 Cooper S Roadster, R59
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/12 at 5:03pm

Article posted in the October 2012 of Spiel, the Porsche club magazine. (Excuse any typos, I had to manually type this)

By Larry and Sherrel Nelson 

------

Well, it's the first of October and it's not too early to start thinking about the holidays. Yes, the holidays! And what that means is that it's time for our third annual Porsche/Mini Cooper Food Drive Challenge. Over the past two years we have had a friendly little competition between the two car clubs, and the Pacific Northwest Region Porsche club owners have been very generous in supporting the Northwest Harvest / King5 Home Team event. 

This all started back in 2010 when we wrote an article to see if we could help our neighbors and communitiy. In the article I mentioned that the Seattle Times did a story about the Northwest Harvest / King5 Home Team food drive and how the Mini Cooper car club was helping the community. (I might have said something like "a little car club.") Well, one of the Mini club members (who also owns a Porsche and is a PNWR member) read my article and took it as a challenge. 

This challenge turned into a friendly competition that has raised nearly $15,000 in cash and literally tons of food for Northwest Harvest, to be distributed to needy families in the Puget Sound area. In 2010, 35 Minis and 65 Porsches turned out at Marymoor Park for the 'parade' over to Redmond Towne Center, where we collectively donated over $5,000 in cash and countless pounds of non-persishable food. In 2011, we collected nearly double that, with $9,510 in cash and eight 4' x 4' x 4' bins packed full of food! 

We are hopeful that in 2012, we can once again double our record in cash and food donations. 

Mark your calendars now for our next food drive, on Saturday, December 1, again in Redmond. Watch the Spiel and www.pnwr.org for more details for the time and location for the next great food drive challenge. 

-------

(Rest of article deleted. Larry goes on to talk about some other Porsche club nonsense)

BLUEDIA View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BLUEDIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/12 at 8:33pm
so how does all this work??? do we collect food/stuff prior to the drive? do we collect that day??? Need more info please
Dona & Brad
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/12 at 8:59pm
Hi - collect before the event. Hit up your friends, family and colleagues. Fill your MINI. Then fill your MINI trailer! 
Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/12 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by BLUEDIA BLUEDIA wrote:

Sign us up. Can we bring BAGETTE and fill her up???    
Thumbs Up Absolutely!!
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/12 at 6:38am
I will remind everyone, as I do each year to take advantage of any corporate matching gift programs your employers have.  Mine for example will match $ for $ any gift I make to a qualifying charity (which this is). 

A MINI full of food is an impressive site but NW harvest can get a lot more out of their $$ by buying in bulk.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
Kirby11 View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/12 at 8:32am
Does anyone have some graphics skills to put together a flyer that we can post at our workplaces?  
2011 LB/W MCS "PINTSZE" (*SOLD*)
MiniCoastie View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MiniCoastie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/12 at 10:41pm
Last year I took part in my Mini Cooper hatchback, since I've switched over to the Countryman, i'm going to have to step up and fill a bigger boot. Hope there's a good turn out this year. Hoping for good weather also.
BrownPenny View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownPenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/12 at 5:50pm
Sign us up.  We'll be there. WooHoo
BLUEDIA View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BLUEDIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/12 at 5:58pm
Has anyone made any fliers yet??? I have talked to the superintendent of my building about sponsoring this event. He is going to present my request next week in his staff about doing a food drive.     if I can get fliers to him prior to his meeting this might help our cause. I gave him the first two pages of our post so he could look at what is happening. This would be great if they say yes. More to come on it but we really need fliers. tks
Dona & Brad
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/12 at 6:19am
Rob N. Thanks for reminding everyone to get with their employers for Matching Contributions. We had serveral last year and they really add up.

Kirby 11-----------Great idea on Graphics. I had a banner made last year but not posters. Someone in the club has to have some skill in this field. Anyone? Martin did a poster the first year.

Bluedia----Contact NW Harvest:http://www.northwestharvest.org/. Once this get going they will deliver drop boxes and banners the NW Harvest that you can place to have people drop donations. I'll be having them deliver to my location. Please remember, you'll have to call them after the event is over to come and pick up the boxes.

PLEASE NOTE: THE MEETING TIME IS CHANGED TO NOON ON SAT. DEC. ! @ THE CHURCH.

SS MINI----------Anyone have some strong contacts with this club. Last year several of their members participated and it sure would be nice to have them participate again this year. ANYONE?

HAURY'S LAKE CITY COLLISON IS AGAIN HELPING WITH THIS DRIVE. THANKS JEFF, ZACK AND ALL OF HAURY'S EMPLOYEES. THEY WILL BE A DROP SITE FOR DONATIONS.

Stay tuned for more information.

Cheers!

07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
BLUEDIA View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BLUEDIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/12 at 10:42am
Hi Boomer, thanks for the info. I take it you are in charge of this event? Are there any fliers yet? Would really like to hang some at work and give to the big boss. This would realy help our cause. have a great day

Dona
Dona & Brad
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/12 at 2:12pm
Agree Bluedia, flyers would help a great deal but I really don't have the talent to create one and don't know of anyone that could.

Anyone want to volunteer?

Cheers!

Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/12 at 3:08pm
Just a thought, but I'm guessing that NW Harvest or KING5 would have a flyer they'd be willing to email to you to copy (black & white to save $$) and post at your work. Tell them you're from a participating car club trying to spread the word at your work. Bet they have someone who could whip out a flyer pretty quickly.

MiniChecker View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MiniChecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/12 at 6:23pm
Since this is going to be my first year, I was wondering what type of food I should be asking for.  Should I be asking for the staples, can goods, pasta, and other things that don't spoil, or any type of food that my friends wish to donate?  
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/12 at 7:11am
Glad you asked MiniChecker! Here's the list of foods NW Harvest needs:

What types of food does Northwest Harvest need?
Northwest Harvest can use any nonperishable food or monetary donations. If you prefer to donate food, select shelf-stable food with the lowest saturated fats and refined carbohydrates (sugar, white flour). We buy white rice and beans in bulk, so we encourage you to donate other items. Here are some suggestions:

General food items:
Oatmeal
Whole grain pastas
Brown rice
Tomato products
Canned vegetables
Canned fruit, especially with low sugar (but not artificial sweeteners)
Canned fish or meat
Shelf-stable milk
Beef stew, chili and similar meals with low sugar and saturated fats

Infant and baby foods:

Baby formula
Canned milk
Infant cereal
Jars of baby food
Powdered or canned milk
We also accept baby diapers

Please remember, if you want to get others involved you can contact NW Harvest and they deliver Donation Boxes and Flyers so you can place them at your place of business and have help from your fellow employees that don't have a MINI or a Porsche.

Cheers!

TWIZZLR View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert
PSMINI Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWIZZLR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/12 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Boomer Boomer wrote:

MINI/Porsche Challenge III

I

Can you believe we are going into our third year for this Battle of the BEASTS! All to serve our community. Regardless, MINI owner or Porsche owner, looking back on this Charity Event brings a HUGE SMILE to my face and to Larry Nelson's face.

This years event is Scheduled for DEC. 1, 2012!!!!

Meeting point will hopefully be the same: at Overlake Christian Church, 9900 Willows Road NE, Redmond, WA at 12:00 AM NOON.

I think that should be 12:00pm, thanks for the Noon clarification.Smile
Karin & Karen

11 JCW Midnight Blk Roof Caps All pkgs, Aero
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/12 at 7:59am
Thanks for picking that up Karin & Karen!
I have an excuse--------------------I'm old!

Cheers!
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/12 at 9:31am
Hey, we all knew what you meant! 

Thanks for being the force behind this again this year!  Clap

JEBoal View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEBoal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/12 at 10:03am
I will be there.
12 R55 Clubman Black on Eclipse Gray, JCW tuning kit
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/12 at 1:08am
This MINI has 28 women crammed into it. How much food do you think you could cram into your MINI for NW Harvest? 

Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/12 at 8:15am
KURT------------------NICE!

Cheers!
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/12 at 7:49am
Just received our first cash contribution!!!! It's a super generous check written to NW Harvest on behalf of the MINI Club.

Guess WHAT: It's from a fellow track rat, that doesn't pilot a MINI-------any guess what the make of their car is---------------------?

This isn't the first time they helped us out.

The people I've had the pleasure to meet, primarily due to PS MINI, says it all-----GREAT PEOPLE!!!

Cheers!
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/12 at 6:38am
OK, we are only a week away from "THE FACEOFF"!!!!!!

Honestly, I'm a little concerned about our show of strength this year. Doesn't seem to be as much chatter, at least on the forum. Maybe there is more on the respective "facebook" pages! (wouldn't know since I'm not a "social media" user)

As mentioned above, I've already received our first contribution but I'm not seeing any chatter about meet ups and drives leading to the actual meeting point prior to our PARADE to the Drop Off at Redmond Town Center.

There's plenty of time to go to Costco, or any of the other box stores or grocery chains to fill your MINI with food items needed by NW Harvest.

Also, remember to check with your employers about matching contributions. Ask your neighbors, co-workers and others if they can help you with food or cash donations. Remember, it only takes .67 CENTS to feed a family.

If you can't make this but would still like to contribute, just shoot me a PM and I'll come to you, meet you or give you an address where you can drop off your contribution!

Cheers!
SAMSON View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Past Secretary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAMSON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/12 at 9:53pm
I'm going! 

Can we start a list of motorers who will be in attendance?
NEBULA - 2016 Countryman S ALL4 Cosmic Blue/Black
SAMSON - 2011 Cooper S - Eclipse Grey/Black (retired)
LOLA CHOLULA - 2010 Cooper - Chili Red/White (retired)

Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/12 at 6:50am
A list is a GREAT IDEA:

BOOMER!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>