Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hardtop Base or S for reliability/longevity?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolly Rancher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hardtop Base or S for reliability/longevity?
    Posted: November/26/12 at 12:39pm
We are looking at 2013 Hardtops. We test-drove both the base and the "S", and prefer the sportier performance, but have read a few reviews online that suggest there may be more issues down the road with the "S" (turbo) engine vs the base model. I am wondering what sort of experience folks have had with these models. At what sort of mileage would we be likely to have some engine issues, and is one model more prone to issues than the other? All input appreciated. 
Marc View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/12 at 1:15pm
The turbos have only been on the hardtops for 5 years (since 07), so getting a long history is not possible.  The previous versions (prior to 07) were supercharged, and need a little more attention/maintenance than the non-supercharged versions.

This is a mini-club, so pretty much everyone here is going to tell you that they are great - go out and buy one.  We love these cars, but they do require more care than the most reliable cars listed on Consumer Reports.  I don't think the turbos are the biggest issues.  When I read and talk to people about their problems with new(er) Mini's it appears that the issues people complain about are rare, and all over the map.

Generally speaking though, I don't feel there's a good argument for going with a base model over the S model (personal preference).  The base model will get slightly better gas milage (if you notice it, then you're a better man than me), and it's true that the more power you put through an engine - the more likely something is going to break.  You're also going to go through tires a little quicker with the S model if you're not careful.

Anyway, I don't think the S models are prone to problems with the turbo, anymore than any other car with a turbo.  However, the S model does have a turbo, and is just one more part bolted to the engine.  It can break (it "will break" if you get low on oil), where the turbo on a base model will never break since it doesn't have one.

Edited by Marc - November/26/12 at 6:15pm
Beastie - Jan 2012 JCW Clubman (auto), Eclipse Grey, Black Trim & stripes, tinted windows, technology & Cold Weather pkg.
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/12 at 2:25pm
What Marc said - with the additonal input that lots of people in the club have "Justas"  as in "Just a Cooper" and are very happy with the performance and have no problem keeping up with the "S" crowd on club drives.  We have a SCCA champion MINI Driver in the club and his ride as a non S Cooper and he gets a LOT of performance out of his Justa!  The club is a great mix of cars and owners - you will fit right in what ever kind of MINI you are driving -
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/12 at 6:25pm
My Justa has less cold start hiccups than my "S" and the engine bay is much cooler in temperature and easier to do work, like change oil.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
swpars View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swpars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/12 at 6:26pm
We bought a '12 Hardtop Base (Cooper) due to reliability concerns with the S (turbo failures, carbon buildup caused by the direct fuel injection system, and other problems documented on North American Motoring) and already having an E46 BMW 3 series in the garage as the "fast" car.

'12 Mini Cooper 6AT
'04 BMW 330i 6MT

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/12 at 6:31pm
The base is still Direct Injected but the engine is not cooked as hard as with the turbo.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
swpars View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swpars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/12 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by SMOG SMOG wrote:

The base is still Direct Injected but the engine is not cooked as hard as with the turbo.

Pretty sure the non-turbo Prince engine has port injection. See below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_engine

The naturally aspirated variant (EP6, EP6C[6]) has conventional fuel injection and lost-foam cast heads. Its high 11:1 compression ratio creates an output of 120 PS (118 hp/88 kW) at 6000 rpm with a redline of 6500 rpm. Torque is 118 lb-ft (160 N·m) at 4250 rpm.[7]

'12 Mini Cooper 6AT
'04 BMW 330i 6MT

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/12 at 8:10pm
The first paragraph in that Wiki topic reads Direct Injection.  They, the cooper is naturally aspirated w/direct injection and the "S" has a turbo w/direct injection.

I had this discussion with Jan from RMW and he set me straight, as I had thought as you.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/12 at 11:31pm
Reliability is probably better for the non-turbo, but unless you put the car on the track, it is probably just a few percent difference. 

To avoid buyer's remorse ("I should have gotten the faster one"), test drive both and get the one that you would be most happy with over long term. 
swpars View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swpars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/12 at 11:45am

The first paragraph in that Wiki topic reads Direct Injection.  They, the cooper is naturally aspirated w/direct injection and the "S" has a turbo w/direct injection.

I had this discussion with Jan from RMW and he set me straight, as I had thought as you.

So I looked more into this and found that the Cooper (non turbo 1.6 liter Prince engine) doesn't have an HPFP - which would signify no direct injection.

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk/227453-engine-comparisons-s-vs-justa-old-prince-vs-new.html

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/199907-2010-mini-cooper-non-turbo-engine-port-injection-or-direct-injection.html

'12 Mini Cooper 6AT
'04 BMW 330i 6MT

ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/12 at 12:50pm
It really depends on if you subscribe to the school of thought that less parts equals more reliability. There is no real data that shows the turbo is less reliable than the naturally aspirated version of the Prince engine. As others have pointed out, this engine combination came out in '07 and was refined (VANOS) in 2012. There really may simply not be enough data available to make a hard determination. But, it certainly has more parts and forcing hot exhaust through a system of tubes in order to spin a fan which in turn is responsible for compressing the air going into the combustion chamber and therefore increasing manifold pressure certainly has it's engineering challenges. The S has had more "issues" (cold start, a rare N18 ECU issue, high pressure fuel pump warranty extension, water pump recall, exhaust tip recall, etc.) but all of the "issues" I can recall were/are being taken care of under warranty by MINI. There has not been any catastrophic failures (yet) of the R56 (2007+ Cooper and S) like there was for the first generation (CVT transmission failure at ~100k miles comes immediately to mind).

I have no idea what engine the Cooper (non-S) is using. I know in 2011 MINI updated the "Prince" engine with some extra technology like VANOS. At that time the S went to the N18 engine. In 2013 the JCW's get an updated N18 engine. The Prince S engine has always been direct injected but the Cooper was port injected (to my surprise). I can't confirm if this changed in 2011 for the Cooper. Additionally, the VANOS system is different on the Cooper and the Cooper S. Trying to find any "performance" details on the Cooper is difficult which is sad. I know plenty of Cooper owners who drive as spirited as S owners. I even know a few Cooper owners who have aftermarket exhausts and other performance parts.

One thing to keep in mind is simply that MINI owners are some of the most vocal and well informed car consumers/owners I've ever witnessed. Because of this you are going to find out about every single mis-fire off the assembly line down to the day the car was produced. MINI is a great company and has stood (mostly) behind their product. MINIs are made in England which has never had the best of reliability records when it comes to cars. These are good, reliable, fun cars that come with an amazing network of new friends should you accept us ;) Reading a site like NAM may give you a different impression then that but honestly they are reliable. If you prefer the sportier S I'd buy it, heck, I'd get a JCW. But, if you want the better gas mileage and less parts under the bonnet go for the Cooper. Additionally, if you are buying an automatic go with the S. The extra low-end torque will be felt much more with this set-up. I'd only buy the Cooper with a manual. Either way: Welcome to the club.
Jasper View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/12 at 3:21pm
In general I think it depends on who you ask if your going to have problems with a base or S cooper.  I would like to believe MINI is trying their best to avoid selling a bad product.   

I can say from experience when I had problems with my MINI I was screaming bloody murder online.  When I did rant it was directed to the dealer (they read these posts) and not really meant to be constructive - pretty sure I annoyed a few owners.  I can't be the only following this train of thought.       
If you like the car, I'd say just do it.  If you are buying new there really is no way to tell if you are going to buy a lemon or if you are going to have no problems in the future.  I've met owners who either had an S or base and either they are happy or pissed about the repair bill.  People who were pissed tend to be more vocal than the happy guy with no problems. 

Jasper 

07 JCW Dark Grey with black top
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/12 at 2:14am
Ya know I have tried to respond to this thread 4 times now.

When it comes to gen 2s it is very confusing, not as simple as the gen 1s. There has been so many changes to the R56 alone when it comes to understanding the whole thing unless you are an avid follower and some what obsessive when it comes to the current Mini. I would not listen to very many people because the topic is very confusing and even harder to explain.

The simple fact is that there has been timing chain issues with some models of the engine. There is a thermo sensor recall, there was the cooling pump board replacement. I can keep going on with this but I think it is important to understand that all of this is very live. And what I mean is it is a continuously evolving, as problems come up Mini keeps working at correcting the problems. Example: we have seen 5 piston changes in the N-14 alone. Just like the gen 1s we are coming to an end to the gen 2s and most of the bugs have been worked out.

Carbon build up its a real problem but not a new one and it stretches across the wide spectrum of the auto world. One reason Honda drug there feet so long. Keep in mind the Peugeot 308 shares this same engine and the turbo PCV line has been removed and capped which is one of the biggest contributes to this problem.

The "Justas" are a great entry level car with great mpg and no dog. The have the best maintenance record across the board with the exception of the CVT.

Bottom line is you need to get what you are comfortable with, but you will get more miles with less repair cost with a "Justas" then a Turbo Mini. It is just the nature of the beast.

Just my 2 cents.

John
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/12 at 5:27am
J:  Did you see the Speedster Espresso Machine in the boot of a black Coupe"?  I Posted it a few day ago.

S.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/12 at 1:00am
Nope I missed that
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/12 at 5:03am
J:  Yes, it is Off Topic, but pretty funny.  I think the MINI will out last the espresso machine.

S.

Jolly Rancher View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolly Rancher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/13 at 9:26pm
MINI has been ordered!

We test drove the Hardtop base and the S, and decided to go with the S, manual. Thanks very much to everyone for all the thoughtful advice. I really appreciate it. We mulled over the decision for a long time. If we had decided faster, we would be driving the car right now (ahem). 

Ordered right before the factory shut down for Christmas. Brilliant move. 

We let our 7-year-old design his own car on the MINI USA site, then we designed ours. We liked his better, so we ordered his design minus the door numbers. Kite blue with chequered mirrors and sunroof. 
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/13 at 7:57am
Congratulations on your MINI purchase!  I think that once you had it in your mind that you liked the sportier S model, that was the way to go.  Feel free to properly introduce your MINI and post photos when it arrives.

Cheers!  WooHoo

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolly Rancher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/13 at 9:30am
Thanks!

I have been reading through threads in the various forums and one thing that popped up is folks being unhappy that their S and JCW models were delivered without the all-season tires they had ordered. (Apparently due to a tire speed rating issue.) That got my attention! Is this still happening? 
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/13 at 4:27pm
I ordered my last MINI from Seattle Mini.  I ordered it with All Season Tires and it was delivered to me with summer tires. I was pretty bummed and if I was an attorney they would have spent a lot of time in court.  Those brand new 2 year old tires are still sitting in my garageAngry

Thanks Seattle Mini!!!

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/13 at 5:02pm
What kind of tires? Someone must want them.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolly Rancher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/13 at 5:16pm
Hmm. Now I'm worried. I will try to get a definite answer from the dealer. 
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/13 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Jolly Rancher Jolly Rancher wrote:

Thanks!

I have been reading through threads in the various forums and one thing that popped up is folks being unhappy that their S and JCW models were delivered without the all-season tires they had ordered. (Apparently due to a tire speed rating issue.) That got my attention! Is this still happening? 

Where are you reading this? I ask because I've never heard of it. The top speed of the Cooper is 126 and the top speed of the S is 139 (MINIUSA). The only way this could be happening is if they were using H rated All-Season tires. Which.. according to tire rack, Continental does not make in 205/45R17 (most popular S size/brand tire).

Personally, I would have refused delivery until MINI made it right. But, I used my "sport" tires in the ice and snow in Philadelpia and they were not terrible. Not fun, but not terrible. You can expect about 20-30,000 miles on the stock runflats. For most that's less than 2 years of driving and then you put on something much better than the harsh RFTs MINI keeps insisting on using. The best upgrade for you MINI is getting off the stock RFTs.    

FWIW my girlfriend's 2012 Cooper S was delivered with all-season tires.

Now, it could be a problem if you order the optional 18" wheels. I don't recall the tire size that go on the 18" rims but the Brembo brake kit requires the 18" rims on the JCW. Tire Rack shows no all-season for what it thinks the 18" tire size is.

What wheels did you order?
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/13 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

What kind of tires? Someone must want them.

Kurt:

I will have to get back to you since I have not looked at them in 2 years.  They have been sitting under a tarp in my workshop just taking up space.

Maybe I listed them for sale in the Marketplace?

Stephen

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/13 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by ipeverywhere ipeverywhere wrote:

Thanks!

FWIW my girlfriend's 2012 Cooper S was delivered with all-season tires.

Now, it could be a problem if you order the optional 18" wheels. I don't recall the tire size that go on the 18" rims but the Brembo brake kit requires the 18" rims on the JCW. Tire Rack shows no all-season for what it thinks the 18" tire size is.

What wheels did you order?

My 2011 Cooper "S" with the JCW BBK came with 17"rims and Continental RF Summer tires.  Even though it listed wheels and tires that were acceptable to me that was NOT what I got.

Seattle Mini might have kept them for themselves to sell as an extra to someone.

When I had it back into the dealership for another issue later that same year they backed into a pole with it and had to replace things like bumper cover, and repaint things.

Watch them closely!  With an attorney in your speed dial...

FWIW, did you know there was a recall on the braking system where, in my case, the car would not start at times?  It seems to have been related to the brake system and a recall.  NW Mini caught it a couple of weeks ago during an annual service!  Nobody ever mailed me a notice about this issue.

Edited by SMOG - January/17/13 at 7:10pm
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/13 at 7:15pm
Remember there are two different BBKs now.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/13 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by ipeverywhere ipeverywhere wrote:

Remember there are two different BBKs now.

??? Enlighten me.

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolly Rancher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/13 at 8:26pm
We did not order special wheels, so we are getting whatever is stock for the 2013 Hardtop S. I think that's 16" Rib Spoke. 
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/13 at 4:29pm

We did not order special wheels, so we are getting whatever is stock for the 2013 Hardtop S. I think that's 16" Rib Spoke. 

If you did not order the JCW BBK then you will probably get any number of 17" wheels, and possibly a 16" but I am not sure about that.  We got 16" wheels on our Cooper when we bought it at the dealer and it was not an option as far as I know since the car was sitting on their lot.

PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/13 at 1:47pm

??? Enlighten me.

MINI only sells the "John Cooper Works 17" Sport Brake Kit" now. I thought they had a different kit back in 2007 when the new hardtop was released but no longer available. The 17" kit fits a very limited number of MINI wheels.

Jolly Rancher, since you ordered with no upgrade to the wheels I wouldn't expect you to have a problem getting it delivered with all season tires. Do check them when your MINI arrives.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>