Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

One Ball Exhaust

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Therapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One Ball Exhaust
    Posted: January/31/13 at 11:51am
Today I dropped my R53 off to have the first rear muffler cut off. An hour and 43 dollars later it was over and ready for a spin. 

All I can say is WOW! This is another mod where your money is well spent. I let me daughter drive the car to and she had the same things to say.

-My rear went up a tad because of the missing weigh. Maybe a 1/4 inch which isnt much but I notice it now when I look at the car from the side. 
-There used to be a small flat spot as you began to accelerate from a dead stop. I do not even notice that any longer.
-The car accelerates faster.
-RPM is smoother across the entire rpm band.
-A slight increase in exhaust noise and a very nice note. In fact the exhaust sounds much more hearty with no drone. 

I wont know fuel economy till later in the week but I think it will increase because the engine seems to spin and breath more freely. If you don't have the cash for a new cat back then this is a good step in the right direction. From others I've read the cost seems to average around 50 bucks. 

Now to decide about adding that Alta catless header.... hmmm?

Edited by Therapy - January/31/13 at 2:59pm
2005 MINI R53, WMW 15%, M7 Sport Springs, M7 Tower Brace, Hotchkis Camber Plates, Powerflex controlarm bushings/engine mounts, Koni Yellows, Alta Rear CA's, ALTA 19mm RearSway.
"I am my own warranty."
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/13 at 11:53am
+1

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/13 at 6:54pm
You also get lots of bonus 'burble and pop' - I had a one ball mod on my car before I switched to a Milltek exhaust. The Milltek exhaust makes more power, but less burble and pop. I miss that. 

There is nothing about a one-ball that should lower your fuel economy, but it will probably go down because you will be mashing the gas pedal more. 

Therapy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Therapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/13 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

There is nothing about a one-ball that should lower your fuel economy, but it will probably go down because you will be mashing the gas pedal more. 

But I already mash the pedal. LOL

Now Im thinking about going with a header... something like this....

Edited by Therapy - January/31/13 at 7:05pm
2005 MINI R53, WMW 15%, M7 Sport Springs, M7 Tower Brace, Hotchkis Camber Plates, Powerflex controlarm bushings/engine mounts, Koni Yellows, Alta Rear CA's, ALTA 19mm RearSway.
"I am my own warranty."
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/13 at 7:08pm
If you already mash the pedal, your mileage will go down because more air and fuel can get through the engine now. 

My car gets essentially the same mileage as a Honda minivan because of very excessive pedal mashing. (about 17 in town, 25 on highway, unless there is no traffic / slowing down/speeding up, in which case I get 30mpg)

Any header will work fine if you don't have to care about emissions. Something like that would probably get you 10hp or more.
Therapy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Therapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/13 at 7:17pm
It looks well made and I could run that test pipe until I decide upon a hi flow replacement cat. 
"I am my own warranty."
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/13 at 8:10pm
How much did the removed muffler weigh?  How much did the replacement pipe weigh?  Net weight change?  Any other engine mods?
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Therapy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Therapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/13 at 8:20pm
gosh... I didnt weigh them. I did go over and pick it up and Id have to say it was at least fifteen pounds? The pipe was maybe a foot long so what ever that would weigh in at. Im going to be changing the battery out this summer to a light weight battery. 
"I am my own warranty."
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/13 at 1:55am
I think people have reported a weight reduction of 20-30 pounds. 
RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/13 at 11:31am
Someone on another forum says 22 pounds.  Mine is still sitting on the floor of the garage, if anyone wants to come over and lift it (and take it with them when they go).
I've also seen some consensus that the one ball adds 1-3hp, but someone claimed 9hp on the dyno.  Seeing the 180-degree bend inside the removed muffler makes me think the flow must be more than a little improved.
I think the sound alone is worth it.
'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/13 at 12:02pm
1-3 hp sounds more likely, maybe up to 5 if you have a lot of other mods.

But the sound alone is definitely worth it. 
I fell in love with the sound my car made when I test drove it before buying, and found out later that it had a oneball mod.

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/13 at 5:37pm
Maybe 1-3 real HP - about 25 SOP* from the sound.

* Seat of Pants
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Therapy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Therapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/13 at 6:19pm
I wish I had some before and after track times or a baseline dyno to help determine any gains across the rpm's. I do know it reacts quicker when accelerating from a dead stop and when coming out of heavy turns I enjoy driving. 

"I am my own warranty."
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/13 at 6:40pm
Track times are difficult to replicate unless you are a very consistent driver and the track conditions are identical. Even different temperatures will change your lap times (due to changes in intercooler performance and tire grip/brake performance). 

A before/after dyno is the only real way to know, and both dynos would need to be done under similar temperature conditions. 

Noonzio View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noonzio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/13 at 11:00am
Hi - just wondering where you got this done?

Originally posted by Therapy Therapy wrote:

Today I dropped my R53 off to have the first rear muffler cut off. An hour and 43 dollars later it was over and ready for a spin. 

All I can say is WOW! This is another mod where your money is well spent. I let me daughter drive the car to and she had the same things to say.

-My rear went up a tad because of the missing weigh. Maybe a 1/4 inch which isnt much but I notice it now when I look at the car from the side. 
-There used to be a small flat spot as you began to accelerate from a dead stop. I do not even notice that any longer.
-The car accelerates faster.
-RPM is smoother across the entire rpm band.
-A slight increase in exhaust noise and a very nice note. In fact the exhaust sounds much more hearty with no drone. 

I wont know fuel economy till later in the week but I think it will increase because the engine seems to spin and breath more freely. If you don't have the cash for a new cat back then this is a good step in the right direction. From others I've read the cost seems to average around 50 bucks. 

Now to decide about adding that Alta catless header.... hmmm?
2002 R53 JCW (210) EB/EB
2009 R55 JCW BRG (SOLD)
2004 R53 JCW (210) EB/EB (SOLD)
2006 MCSa PW/PW (SOLD)
2005 MCS DS/B (SOLD)
1999 40LE (Mulberry Red) (SOLD)
Therapy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Therapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/13 at 10:51am
I live in Grand Coulee, Wa. Im about three to four hours north east of Seattle. Any shop can do the work for you. 
"I am my own warranty."
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/13 at 11:16am
I had mine done over in Mose for 65 bucks

Therapy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Therapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/13 at 11:32am
john... sooner or later we're gonna have to hangout.  
"I am my own warranty."
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/13 at 3:57pm
Yes we need to catch up with each other, What about Taylor's exhaust in electric city. The biggest problem I had was convincing them it wasn' t a catalytic converter.

Therapy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Therapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/13 at 11:28pm
Thats where I had mine done. I just walked in, we put her up on the jacks, and I told him what I wanted done. I talked with the younger guy and not the old man there. He knew exactly what I wanted and gave me the price I mentioned. So far Im happy with the results.

Edited by Therapy - February/15/13 at 11:30pm
"I am my own warranty."
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/13 at 11:47pm
Cool , it sounds better for a few bucks

Therapy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Therapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/13 at 12:57pm
It's Saturday around 1pm and I might be heading down to Ephrata today to pick up some things from Autozone. Let me know if you want to meet.
"I am my own warranty."
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/13 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

Yes we need to catch up with each other, What about Taylor's exhaust in electric city. The biggest problem I had was convincing them it wasn' t a catalytic converter.

Seriously?? I guess there is no requirement to learn basic automotive engineering to work in an exhaust shop? Cats are always installed close to the engine and have one or more O2 sensors before/after the cat in the exhaust stream. 

Rowingscot View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rowingscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/13 at 10:11pm
I am looking to make a little noise anyone have a suggestion for a muffler for a 08 Cooper hatchback.

Thanks
me@myweb.com
RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/13 at 1:22pm
You can have the muffler that was removed from my car in the one-ball process!  Free to a good home!
To keep the one-ball thread on track, has anyone ever had the driver-side muffler removed, and then fabricated a tail pipe, rather than removing the passenger-side muffler?  Someone was lamenting that the weight comes off the passenger side in the one-ball mod, and could the other muffler come off instead, in the interest of better lateral weight balance?
Does anyone know where the pipe(s) go, between the inlet and outlet of the driver-side muffler?  I know there's a tight, 180-degree bend inside the passenger-side muffler, so maybe that's the one that really has to go, weight balance be damned.
'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/13 at 1:45pm
An R53 exhaust won't fit on an R56 car.

It would be a lot of work to the can on the driver side.
Therapy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Therapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/13 at 3:12pm
Still love the way the mod has turned out. 

My next trick will be to remove the center silencer that is located behind the cat.
"I am my own warranty."
t3hwookiee View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t3hwookiee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/13 at 9:31am
I've been wanting to one ball May for a while, but didn't yet, as I wasn't sure how King County would be with that (since they seem so strict on so many things and would I still pass the emissions test. The town I went to college in (Norman, OK) was a PITA about muffler noise and I would have gotten several tickets for it just driving through. I love the sound though! I get a decent amount of burble that I love, but it would be awesome to get some more.

Plus the added bonus of I park in a garage beneath my apartment and the people I've met on the first floor are jerks, so I would love to make them annoyed. ;)
Therapy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Therapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/13 at 10:00am
A muffler is only used to attenuate sound. It has no value in smog systems. So you only worry is will it be to loud for your neighbors or any noise laws your region might have. 

So some time has passed and I can say that the sound has settled in and is very nice. It does not sound like a kid with a cheap 4" exhaust tip or someone being a ricer. I've not noticed any of the cheap tinny sounds. The nose isnt much more then normal when going around town at a regular every day driving pace. I do get more rumbling during deceleration then before but it is a very welcomed addition. At WOT it becomes a completely different sound all together. People "WILL" notice like a deer in the headlamps. For a factory R53 with or without mild mods this is a good bang for the buck. Hardy har... no deer puns intended Wink

Maybe John (johnf36) can comment on the sound of my R53 as I passed him at WOT. Smile

John? Big smile

As for power gains? Well Im not sure. Until we get a few owners that have dyno'd their MINI's before and after there is no telling. But who knows Im sure you are maybe going to gain another 1-3hp maybe? Sound wise it will sound more healthy in the lower frequency notes. And no matter what anyone might say you will get more flow with the factory R53 second muffler removed. Less pipes and channels to flow through for the exhaust gasses. Thats what exhaust tuning is mostly about. Getting those nasty gasses out of the way. Plus the tech can inspect everything while he/she is down there. 
"I am my own warranty."
t3hwookiee View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t3hwookiee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/13 at 10:58am
Derp. Ever have one of those moments when you say/type something you realize afterwards was pretty dumb? Yeah, totally there. I knew that. SMH. lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>