Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Shopping Mall > MINIs For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JCW R50 (!) on Craigslist

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JCW R50 (!) on Craigslist
    Posted: September/01/13 at 7:52pm
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4031031804.html

Suppose that's for real?  I know there was a factory kit, but it was very rare.  $5800 is a nice price for this, salvage title and all.  Body work looks a bit sketchy and it looks as if it hasn't seen the wash bay in a while, but I'm thinking engine swap!

Napoleon II gets the JCW engine and Elliott gets the salvage title MINI with the standard engine.  Everybody wins- He'll probably wreck the thing as a teenager, and hey, it's already been wrecked.  Meanwhile, I've got the engine out of it already!

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/13 at 1:33am
Nice. Is that a rare color also? 

Like most front end salvaged MINIs, the bonnet alignment seems off. There is a large body gap between the side scuttle and the bonnet on the driver side. 

What is changed to cause a R50 to become a JCW? Cylinder head? 

It does have high miles which may be a concern but these are really solid motors.

I'm sure you could talk down the price as well - everyone on CL thinks there car is in 'very good' condition but most don't even bother to detail it. 

Let me know if you want help swapping engines, changing out seals, etc. 
italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/13 at 6:13am
It's more of a sound thing..
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/13 at 5:56am
The color is Velvet Red, the second color to be discontinued after Silk Green.

Stefano, your comment about it being a sound kit was interesting, as I was sure it was an actual tuning kit:

But, it turns out there was two- a "sound kit" and an actual "tuning kit".  The tuning kits were actually rather rare, as they were introduced about the same time as the "S" was.  Supposedly there is still one on the shelf somewhere in the U.S.

Scroll down to the "What JCW kits were available" section...

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/13 at 7:15am
If that is the full tuning kit, it would be a real find. Even on a higher mileage motor.
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/13 at 12:28pm
The only 1st gen Cooper JCWs I've seen (I've seen a handful) were air-flow only. They had a new exhaust (only distinctive difference visually) and possibly an airbox although the few I saw already had aftermarket air boxes.

It is rare only because most people looking for extra power started with a S but they were available from the dealers.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/13 at 1:05pm
Bruce - So are you going to give it a test drive and let us know once and for all if it's the real thing? :-)
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/13 at 7:58pm
Would love to, but I don't really have the $$$ or the time (remember Hazel?) lately.  I suppose it would be easy to tell if it is the real thing, with the HP boost from 87 to 126 or so.

Bruce

Added- finally found the one still for sale, slightly used but with the head, exhaust and tune new in box.

Intriguing.  If Stacie's "P2034" code turns out to be a burnt valve...

Edited by valvashon - September/03/13 at 8:03pm
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/13 at 10:50am
I have only ever seen one other of those.  Wonder how many there really are?
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/13 at 10:49pm
Ooh, go fast parts for R50. Let me know if you want help installing that. 
 Post Reply Post Reply