Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdding NAV to an 02 MCS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding NAV to an 02 MCS
    Posted: June/13/06 at 9:38am

so, uhm.. this maybe an easy newb question, or i could just be fishing here, but lets see how well this works.  i did try the search option, but couldnt find andyhing about this sooooo...

i got an 02 mcs used from a dealer here in bellingham.  i am a little miffed at the fact that they failed to mention that the clutch was going out, but thats another story all together (ya it makes the whining noise starting in first which is guess is *ok* until it really goes, and i dont feel like spending $1600 lol).  well, after looking at all the really really cool stuff that is available for the coopers, i was looking at adding the nav system to mine.  now granted, i dont know how much trouble/time/effort/cost is going to be so thats where i look to you all. 

i dont know if anything is going to be compatible with the 02, and i have seen some pictures where the center display is the output from the system, and i would like one.  i dont know where to start looking, or what my price range is going to be as well as how "self install" friendly this is..

if anyone has insight, i would appreciate it.

RevKibosh View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/06 at 11:58am
the factory nav is not a retrofit unless you do serious modification to the dash.  you would be much better off getting an in-dash nav/stereo or something portable that can be mounted to the dash.

If you REALLY want the factory nav then it would probably be cheaper to sell your current car and find one with the nav
2004 BRG MCS - Gone

--Grant and Kylee
cablebob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/06 at 12:56pm

LOL considering that i just got it in feb, i dont think the wife would let me get rid of it even to get a new one :) and hell, i dont want to wait.. perhaps i will see where it takes me in the next few years...

tom tom anyone? :D

MINI-Rolls View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/06 at 1:24pm
add on an aftermarket on, dash mount is good and works well.....
beauraines View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/06 at 2:48pm
After that response to your iPod question and reading this post, you need to double check on the Nav and icelink.  I seem to recall that they don't play nicely together.

I'd recommend going with a dash mount system.  I bought my wife a Garmin c330 and she won't go anywhere with out it.  We even pulled it out of her car and took it in the MINI when we out last friday.
2002 MCS Silver and Black, bonnet and boot stripes, auxillary guages, seat heater, JCW intake, 15% pulley, drilled rotors, ICE>LINK PLUS
cablebob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/06 at 11:04pm

thanks for the tips, tom tom sounds cool (has lots of maps from what i read) but i will def check the garmin too..

*edit*

can you also take pics of the garmin inside the mini? i want to see what it looks like mounted and stuff.. thanks!

Edited by cablebob - June/13/06 at 11:10pm
Kristin View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/06 at 11:28pm
I've got the Garmin 330, too.  Garmin has been making marine nav systems for a long time.  I highly recommend it.  It mostly lives in the MINI, but it's sure nice to be able to transfer it to the pickup when pulling the horse trailer in unfamiliar territory.  I've also taken it with me when someone else is driving and I'm not convinced they know where we're going. 
beauraines View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/06 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by cablebob cablebob wrote:

can you also take pics of the garmin inside the mini? i want to see what it looks like mounted and stuff.. thanks!

The nav unit is mounted in my wife's SUV, but we used in battery operated mode my MINI.

I don't really want to move the mount on her, since she just got it where she wants it...

I could do some simulations if you like.  Or maybe Kristin has it mounted?

Sorry.

Edited by beauraines - June/14/06 at 2:56pm
2002 MCS Silver and Black, bonnet and boot stripes, auxillary guages, seat heater, JCW intake, 15% pulley, drilled rotors, ICE>LINK PLUS
Kristin View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/06 at 11:15pm
I used the suction cup mount in the center of my windshield.  I'll try taking some pictures this afternoon.  If I can get one to come out, I'll post it.
cablebob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/06 at 8:07am
thanks a bunch!
 Post Reply Post Reply