Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

repairing runflats - i got screwed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beakerzor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: repairing runflats - i got screwed
    Posted: July/10/14 at 6:12pm
Coming back from Dicks meet-up I noticed a funny sound.  It was this screw in my tire.
I started to pull it out, but it hissed at me.

Seattle MINI said they don't repair runflats, and I can't blame them.  They quoted just under $300 for a new tire.   I did an exhaustive 30 second search on the interwebs and found runflats are repairable, if the damage is far enough away from the sidewall, and if you didn't drive on them while they were flat (which destroys the sidewall structure that makes it a runflat).

My appointment is for tomorrow for the repair with a local tire shop; wish me luck!  Going to drive around Mt Rainier Saturday on the repaired tire.  

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/14 at 8:59pm
They told you they can't be repaired? That makes no sense. They are like any other tire. The only difference is they have stiffer sidewalls. 
Beakerzor View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beakerzor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/14 at 5:41am
I didn't ask them if it was possible or not, they just said they don't repair them.

Also, my local tire shop said they take take the tire off the rim and repair it from the inside, they don't pop in a plug from the outside, like one buys in an emergency kit, kept in one's trunk.

./shrug
Hop-A-Long View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hop-A-Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/14 at 6:37am
good time to go out and buy regular tires: There is a spare you can purchase.
Beakerzor View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beakerzor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/14 at 6:39am
srsly

and a repair kit
racingbmwm3 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/14 at 9:13am
Runflats are repairable, in the exact same manner as regular tires.  The only method approved by tire manufacturers for all tires is by dismounting the tire and installing a plug/patch.  The wheel/tire NEEDS to be rebalanced after.  I've seen some people try to mark the wheel/tire and reinstall everything without rebalancing, won't work.

Reason some shops won't repair a runflat is they cannot tell by inspection if the tire was driven on while flat, and thus don't want to assume liability if they repair it and if that same tire were to go flat again and fail after driving only a few miles while flat.  The tire should last at least 50 miles with no air pressure.  If you've already driven on it 30 miles while flat, theoretically it should be good for another 20 miles of flat running in the future, but the shop can't sign off on that.

My preferred tire store has always been Discount Tire because they only do wheels/tires, nothing else, and they do proper repairs.   You make the call on whether or not to repair your runflat.  In this case, I'd say yes.  The screw looks far enough away from the shoulder that the repair will last and the tire still had air pressure in it.  
Modern tire pressure systems with the sensor in the wheel will warn you before the tire is at zero, so you have a chance to stop driving right away.  The older R53/50 system relies on wheel speed calculation to determine if a tire is flat and can take a few miles before triggering the light.  I'd replace the tire if I knew it had been driven for at least 10+ miles with no pressure.
'05 Cooper, BRG, Aerokit, Sport Package, 135k
'89 325iX, Diamondblack, 270k
Beakerzor View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beakerzor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/14 at 9:34am
Luckily for me, the tire never lost pressure.

I'll know in about an hour if they were able to repair it.

The funny thing is that I had hidden the wheel nut lock key in the side access-panel in the trunk, wrapped in foam.   I called them 10 minutes after I dropped off the car, and they said they had already found the lock "it was right there in the trunk".   Guess I need a better hiding spot.

Edited by Beakerzor - July/12/14 at 3:28am
Punished View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Punished Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/14 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Beakerzor Beakerzor wrote:

That's where I went this morning, Discount Tire.  Luckily for me, the tire never lost pressure.

Funny, that's where I'll be in 45 min. Kirkland/Totem Lake branch. 4 new tires, TPMS rebuild kit and installation, $503.32
Hello MINI Punisher!
Beakerzor View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beakerzor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/14 at 11:24am
They were able to repair our tire.

Edited by Beakerzor - July/12/14 at 3:28am
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/14 at 2:13pm
Little late to this one but, yes, Run Flats can be repaired but because of the extra material to make them run flats a lot of places will simply refuse to patch them. A puncture can damage the run flat "stuff".

Now, looking at where that nail is I wouldn't expect a shop to repair it. I had the same issue a few years ago. A patch is about 2-4 inches around and wants to sit flat so if you get too close to the sidewall the patch won't hold. :(

Escape Pod View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Escape Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/14 at 5:20pm
What a drag on brand new tires.    Glad you were able to get it patched, and hopefully it will hold.  Enjoy your drive, should be a beautiful weekend for it!
Roy & Beth Morey
Red/Blk JCW Roadster (His)
Silver/Red JCW Coupe (Hers)
 Post Reply Post Reply