Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

anyone running this size on stock rims/height

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redstarkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anyone running this size on stock rims/height
    Posted: July/19/14 at 4:43am
I'm wondering if anyone is running a particular tire size on OEM rims (any variety, though I have r84's) and preferably at stock ride height. 205/50r16. I'm hoping some one can provide me with a picture of their Mini in this set up.

Right now I have the standard 195/55r16 set up, but am curious about switching things up, because reasons. However, I am not prepared to swap out my rims for a fuller 17" set or something of that like. SO I am concerned (perhaps unfoundedly) that the slight lower profile of the 50 vs. the 55 will look too small for the wheelwell. I'll talk to Kurt more about my tire next time I see him, too asses if he thinks they are worth chucking yet. but for now I want to settle this aesthetic argument.

Thanks.
Pippa-'04 Mini Cooper S in Pure Silver. Featuring an Alta 2.0 15% reduction Pully and 2% overdrive ATI Super Damper. Madness rear sway, Koni shocks, NGK plugs and wires, and polyurethane everything.
racingbmwm3 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/14 at 11:02am
I'm not sure you'll notice the 1/4" or so difference in sidewall height.  
You could try 205/55 which increases the sidewall by 1/4".
'05 Cooper, BRG, Aerokit, Sport Package, 135k
'89 325iX, Diamondblack, 270k
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/14 at 7:07pm

205x50x16 on a 2009 Cooper

You will notice the lower gear ratio which will change the speedo readings.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Redstarkid View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redstarkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/14 at 9:47pm
Change the Speedo reading negatively or positively. I know, or at least have heard, that our speedometers generally show us moving about 3mph faster than we really are. Would this exaserbate that, or correct for it?

Thank you for posting a pic, your Mini looks excellent.
Pippa-'04 Mini Cooper S in Pure Silver. Featuring an Alta 2.0 15% reduction Pully and 2% overdrive ATI Super Damper. Madness rear sway, Koni shocks, NGK plugs and wires, and polyurethane everything.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/14 at 4:46am
Thanks!

It says I am going faster than I am by 3, maybe 4mph according to my Garmin and that is with the 205x50x16's. 

My other MINI has larger diameter tires (215x45x17) and that difference is only 2mph using the same Garmin.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
 Post Reply Post Reply